All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

ZTR Tracked

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
paulkruger

tracked - ZTR Tracked Empty
PostSubject: ZTR Tracked   tracked - ZTR Tracked Icon_minitimeOctober 31st 2016, 12:46 pm

I guess this fits "utility" since the result will actually do something. LOL

Im just in start stages. I aquired a Troy-Bilt Colt XP minus a mower deck for $250. The guy I bougt from drove it here so it ran fine. Dead battery.

I screwed up. I replaced battery but failed to note the one I had, had the posts reversed so I got polarity wrong. Won't start. No spark I can detect so I assume I blew the CDI.

I have seen on YouTube where others have elimiated that and gone to strait magneto coils, adding kill wires to those and the engine is reliable.  I prefer straight magneto ignition. Simple, works.

However.  I don't know how to find the correct replacement to fit this engine. Obviously the normal search only provides replacement parts for the original CDI ignition, not for alternatives.  The fix will be easier than finding the parts !!

If anyone has made this down-conversion I appreciate any information you have to offer.

It is a 22hp Kohler Command SV715 engine.

Thanks much.
Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Veteran Member
prancstaman
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: ZTR Tracked   tracked - ZTR Tracked Icon_minitimeOctober 31st 2016, 8:19 pm

I got the same motor with the spark box missing. Was planning on putting a set of marine coils on it  but the motor will need an external power source for the coils (not a magneto setup). Will be a later project for me. I can see this motor running on Briggs magneto's too. Can't remember if there are spots to mount the coils though, since the Briggs mags are self contained mags with there own electronics for the newer ones.

What are your plans for this project, curious because of the title.
Back to top Go down
MatthewD
Veteran Member
MatthewD
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: ZTR Tracked   tracked - ZTR Tracked Icon_minitimeNovember 1st 2016, 6:02 pm

@prancstaman - if you look on his website Paulckruger.com theres a page about the ZTR and a diagram as well. Looks like a pretty good project.
Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Veteran Member
prancstaman
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: ZTR Tracked   tracked - ZTR Tracked Icon_minitimeNovember 2nd 2016, 6:22 am

I checked it out, nice project, I like it, lol.
Back to top Go down
Camdg2010
Camdg2010

PostSubject: ztr tracked   tracked - ZTR Tracked Icon_minitimeJanuary 4th 2017, 10:41 pm

Hello, i wanted to start off by saying its a very fun and time consuming job! i did it with an 06 cub cadet. i will post videos of it, i used snowmobile tracks and suspension on mine at first but being direct drive to snowmobile drive axle it was geared very low so there for it had ALOT of climbing power but was VERY slow. i changed it back to tracks around the tires like paul did, it was very fast, did nice wheelies and was wick fun and neat to drive! im currently working on a new tracked vehicle design. here are some videos of my "Cubcat"
https://youtu.be/1B-KOxU6MZg
https://youtu.be/2NbRP735xrA
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist

PostSubject: Re: ZTR Tracked   tracked - ZTR Tracked Icon_minitimeJanuary 5th 2017, 8:10 am

That thing is awesome!! Very nicely done!
Back to top Go down
Camdg2010
Camdg2010

PostSubject: Re: ZTR Tracked   tracked - ZTR Tracked Icon_minitimeJanuary 16th 2017, 12:44 am

so i know there hasnt been much activity on here. im looking to make another, same way paul did in his picture. i just wonder what the best way to keep snowmobile tracks on would be... any ideas? i have limited access to a welder
Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Veteran Member
prancstaman
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: ZTR Tracked   tracked - ZTR Tracked Icon_minitimeJanuary 22nd 2017, 7:10 pm

Camdg2010 wrote:
so i know there hasnt been much activity on here. im looking to make another, same way paul did in his picture. i just wonder what the best way to keep snowmobile tracks on would be... any ideas? i have limited access to a welder

I think snowmobile tracks have the prongs sticking up on the inside of the tracks, with proper tension on the tracks, the road wheels act as guides to hold the track on if the wheels are big enough. Or you can use some flat stock steel placed inside the tracks bolted to the frame to guide the prongs through. They are small prongs, if you look at pics of snowmobiles, note the track that there is the framing structure inside of the road wheels, holds the tracks on.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ZTR Tracked   tracked - ZTR Tracked Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ZTR Tracked
Page 1 of 1