All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!
 
PortalHomeFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog inCountdown Timer
Swing by the Chatroom anytime! Next Chat Event - 10/7/2017 @ 8:00pm EST .
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum!
ATTENTION!! - The 2017 ATLTF Build-Off ends in two months! Click Here to view qualification rules, and Click Here to view entry instructions!
The new 2017 ATLTF stickers are in! View them here, and order yours while they're hot!
We now have a Discord chat server! Contact Doug for an invite link!

Share | 
 

 Craftsman GT3000 "MUTT"

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
Thunderdivine
Grand Master
Grand Master


Join date : 2012-12-21
Posts : 2082

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT3000 "MUTT"   Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:12 pm

Nice job, good she wasn't to bad hurt lol. - wasn't there another MUTT on here?
Back to top Go down
Rockinator
Apprentice
Apprentice
avatar

Age : 16
Join date : 2016-01-16
Posts : 164
Forum Rep : 1
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT3000 "MUTT"   Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:16 pm

Sort of looked like a craftsman box to me. Never had any snappers so i wouldnt know what a snapper steering box looks like lol. And a little car battery is awesome for starting a twin. Also makes it possible to run stuff like lights winch etc. Without worrying about a dead battery
Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Age : 15
Join date : 2016-10-29
Posts : 534
Forum Rep : 24
Location : Lewisburg, KY

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT3000 "MUTT"   Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:27 pm

Well she's pretty much all back together, I moved the solenoid up from the frame to the top of the metal part of the dash (like just below waist heightish) Steering is great, no problems there. Only real thing I gotta work out is a bad connection in the starting circuit, causing it to turn over slow. And I think what caused that was the ground for the battery, I kinda chipped off some paint and bolted it lol! So tonight with chat bein lit and all I didnt get much done, but I did work out an idea for a better pull start- a booster fan off of a blown horizontal oppy that was shaft drive, and an idler pulley with a bad bearing. The bolt is just holding it in there for mockup, it's going to be bolted on with the 2 bolts where the driveshaft bolted on when it's done. So i will have a pull start that will stay centered, and extra cooling!

Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21
Grand Master
Grand Master
avatar

Age : 18
Join date : 2016-07-10
Posts : 1655
Forum Rep : 68
Location : Glencoe, Ontario

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT3000 "MUTT"   Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:49 pm

Nice man! Not a bad idea for an air-cooled engine!
Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Age : 15
Join date : 2016-10-29
Posts : 534
Forum Rep : 24
Location : Lewisburg, KY

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT3000 "MUTT"   Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:05 pm

Found out last night that the booster fan only works on the engines with metal cooling fans, and I don't think the 40ci horizontal flywheel will work with a 42ci vertical engine . Oh well, the one I have works just fine. Anyways I was going through my wiring last night looking for bad connections and found that there wasnt any, the battery is dead. Although I cant blame it, that thing is a year younger than me (i'm 14)and has been through a car crash and a few tractors, It doesnt owe anybody anything. Also when I was doing my steering I put a foot peg on the gas pedal, tightened up the gas pedal cable (actual full throttle now ), moved the cable stop for the brake (doesnt lock down anymore but braking power is good). Don't know what I'm going to do for a battery, of the two I have one has a hole punched in the side of it and leaks and the other one is like 325 cranking amps new, not near enough to spin over this thing. I dont have any dollars for a new one either... scratch


Back to top Go down
MatthewD
Expert
Expert
avatar

Age : 16
Join date : 2014-11-16
Posts : 1453
Forum Rep : 14
Location : Ballymena, Northern Ireland

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT3000 "MUTT"   Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:09 pm

Nice foot throttle. Are you still running the governor? You could just pull start that oppy everytime Laughing Be hard on the arms lol
Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Age : 15
Join date : 2016-10-29
Posts : 534
Forum Rep : 24
Location : Lewisburg, KY

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT3000 "MUTT"   Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:13 pm

Yeah, still governed. However, if I had a set of billet rods and a pair of model 28 or 31 pistons that would be a very different story....
Back to top Go down
MatthewD
Expert
Expert
avatar

Age : 16
Join date : 2014-11-16
Posts : 1453
Forum Rep : 14
Location : Ballymena, Northern Ireland

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT3000 "MUTT"   Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:58 am

Thunderdivine wrote:
Nice job, good she wasn't to bad hurt lol. - wasn't there another MUTT on here?
Yeah there are a few -
http://www.atltf.com/t1532-lifted-mudder-build-project-mud-mutt?highlight=mud+mutt
http://www.atltf.com/t2692-mud-mutt-off-road-build?highlight=mud+mutt

Both by GearheadMike.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Webmaster
Webmaster
avatar

Age : 22
Join date : 2012-12-24
Posts : 2522
Forum Rep : 14
Location : 17042, Pennsylvania

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT3000 "MUTT"   Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:23 am

RichieRichOverdrive wrote:
Yeah, still governed. However, if I had a set of billet rods and a pair of model 28 or 31 pistons that would be a very different story....

Wuss. Dont need no stinkin billet parts.

MatthewD wrote:
Thunderdivine wrote:
Nice job, good she wasn't to bad hurt lol. - wasn't there another MUTT on here?
Yeah there are a few -
http://www.atltf.com/t1532-lifted-mudder-build-project-mud-mutt?highlight=mud+mutt
http://www.atltf.com/t2692-mud-mutt-off-road-build?highlight=mud+mutt

Both by GearheadMike.

Wonder what Mikes up to.

_______________________________________________
Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Age : 15
Join date : 2016-10-29
Posts : 534
Forum Rep : 24
Location : Lewisburg, KY

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT3000 "MUTT"   Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:06 pm

Had a minor electrical fire screwing around in the cow pasture today, due to a hot wire getting pinched between the battery tray and something else. Luckily it went out quickly, and i just disconnected the battery and charging system and drove home . Definitely doing away with all of these wire nuts while I'm at it. (i didn't put them in the freakin po did)


Back to top Go down
MatthewD
Expert
Expert
avatar

Age : 16
Join date : 2014-11-16
Posts : 1453
Forum Rep : 14
Location : Ballymena, Northern Ireland

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT3000 "MUTT"   Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:16 pm

Ouch man, lucky it was only a small fire. That's why I don't like putting the battery beside the fuel tank.
Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Age : 15
Join date : 2016-10-29
Posts : 534
Forum Rep : 24
Location : Lewisburg, KY

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT3000 "MUTT"   Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:49 pm

I fixed the wire, threw in some gas and took off back to the woods. Spent a good 2 hours back there romping around, having a good time and then all of the sudden crawling up a hill I noticed I only had left wheel drive. Drove back to the shop thinking I had split an axle key and found that i had SPLIT BOTH OF THE RIMS AT THE KEYWAY . Like fug. I'll prolly weld them back up, and get the 820 a guy has with 5 lug hubs. Really wasnt expecting this. But do we ever?





Back to top Go down
Doug
Webmaster
Webmaster
avatar

Age : 22
Join date : 2012-12-24
Posts : 2522
Forum Rep : 14
Location : 17042, Pennsylvania

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT3000 "MUTT"   Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:58 pm

What a pro. Just hose clamp it and get back to it.

_______________________________________________
Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Age : 15
Join date : 2016-10-29
Posts : 534
Forum Rep : 24
Location : Lewisburg, KY

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT3000 "MUTT"   Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:07 pm

Hose clamp is obviously too weak. Ziptie ftw
Back to top Go down
Doug
Webmaster
Webmaster
avatar

Age : 22
Join date : 2012-12-24
Posts : 2522
Forum Rep : 14
Location : 17042, Pennsylvania

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT3000 "MUTT"   Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:35 pm

Twist ties like on bread bags would be pretty good too.

_______________________________________________
Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Age : 15
Join date : 2016-10-29
Posts : 534
Forum Rep : 24
Location : Lewisburg, KY

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT3000 "MUTT"   Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:02 pm

So, in the ~2 weeks I've had to mess with the rim, this is as far as I've got. Cracked it in another place and bent the rim part it's welded into (huib is now crooked lol). Whoopdefrickindo. I think I'm gonna mickey mouse this back together the best I can and buy a pair of used atv rims that I can make or buy hubs for.


Back to top Go down
Doug
Webmaster
Webmaster
avatar

Age : 22
Join date : 2012-12-24
Posts : 2522
Forum Rep : 14
Location : 17042, Pennsylvania

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT3000 "MUTT"   Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:24 pm

Should be ok, not like its a speed build. Weld it, sleeve it, weld it up again.

_______________________________________________
Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Age : 15
Join date : 2016-10-29
Posts : 534
Forum Rep : 24
Location : Lewisburg, KY

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT3000 "MUTT"   Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:21 pm

Well, last night I welded her all up (had to relearn stick welding, mig was outta gas). Right wheel has a little bit of in and out wobble when driving, but oh well it works. Pull started her this morning in like 30*, wasn't actually too bad. i noticed she was kinda sluggish, as in the governor wasnt working but I didn't think much of it. Took a few laps around the yard drifting in the ice and then went for the pond to have some fun. I dropped into like 6" of mud in 4th gear full throttle, went through easily enough and came out the other side, but the throttle had stuck wide open so i killed her. It seems that something in the governor has seized. I managed to pry the governor linkages back enough to maintain about 1/2 throttle and drove back to the shop. I'm kinda stumped on what to do now
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Age : 17
Join date : 2016-04-12
Posts : 693
Forum Rep : 23
Location : Indiana

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT3000 "MUTT"   Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:48 pm

I remember reading somewhere that the Briggs oppys have an issue with grenading the governor gear in the bottom of the crankcase, even in stock form. I don't remember where I read it though...Maybe someone else on here knows scratch
Back to top Go down
Online
Doug
Webmaster
Webmaster
avatar

Age : 22
Join date : 2012-12-24
Posts : 2522
Forum Rep : 14
Location : 17042, Pennsylvania

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT3000 "MUTT"   Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:54 pm

Put oil in it.

_______________________________________________
Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Age : 15
Join date : 2016-10-29
Posts : 534
Forum Rep : 24
Location : Lewisburg, KY

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT3000 "MUTT"   Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:03 pm

That was the first thing I checked when it happened, and it's also the first thing I check before every time I go out. Weird thing is, the oil level has been just above full since August, when I changed it. It never seems to change.
And it's kinda funny that both of you are talking about going ungoverned....and suddenly i have to go ungoverned
Back to top Go down
1997 Murray
Expert
Expert
avatar

Age : 19
Join date : 2013-11-13
Posts : 1311
Forum Rep : 1
Location : NW USA

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT3000 "MUTT"   Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:13 pm

RichieRichOverdrive wrote:
Well, last night I welded her all up (had to relearn stick welding, mig was outta gas). Right wheel has a little bit of in and out wobble when driving, but oh well it works. Pull started her this morning in like 30*, wasn't actually too bad. i noticed she was kinda sluggish, as in the governor wasnt working but I didn't think much of it. Took a few laps around the yard drifting in the ice and then went for the pond to have some fun. I dropped into like 6" of mud in 4th gear full throttle, went through easily enough and came out the other side, but the throttle had stuck wide open so i killed her. It seems that something in the governor has seized. I managed to pry the governor linkages back enough to maintain about 1/2 throttle and drove back to the shop. I'm kinda stumped on what to do now

I have owned 12 opposed twins and they usually had governor problems. I had my throttle stick wide open a few times, which is why you want a good easily accessible kill switch. I have gone direct throttle with all my opposed twins except the ones I do work like rototilling and mowing with. Other than that, direct is the way to go. Only problem is you have to set the idle speed high enough to keep it running if you have to step away from it and want to keep it running. I think it is well worth the effort to change to direct though.
Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Age : 15
Join date : 2016-10-29
Posts : 534
Forum Rep : 24
Location : Lewisburg, KY

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT3000 "MUTT"   Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:16 pm

1997 Murray wrote:
RichieRichOverdrive wrote:
Well, last night I welded her all up (had to relearn stick welding, mig was outta gas). Right wheel has a little bit of in and out wobble when driving, but oh well it works. Pull started her this morning in like 30*, wasn't actually too bad. i noticed she was kinda sluggish, as in the governor wasnt working but I didn't think much of it. Took a few laps around the yard drifting in the ice and then went for the pond to have some fun. I dropped into like 6" of mud in 4th gear full throttle, went through easily enough and came out the other side, but the throttle had stuck wide open so i killed her. It seems that something in the governor has seized. I managed to pry the governor linkages back enough to maintain about 1/2 throttle and drove back to the shop. I'm kinda stumped on what to do now

I have owned 12 opposed twins and they usually had governor problems. I had my throttle stick wide open a few times, which is why you want a good easily accessible kill switch. I have gone direct throttle with all my opposed twins except the ones I do work like rototilling and mowing with. Other than that, direct is the way to go. Only problem is you have to set the idle speed high enough to keep it running if you have to step away from it and want to keep it running. I think it is well worth the effort to change to direct though.
Did you remove the governor inside the engine also? I'm going to.
Back to top Go down
1997 Murray
Expert
Expert
avatar

Age : 19
Join date : 2013-11-13
Posts : 1311
Forum Rep : 1
Location : NW USA

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT3000 "MUTT"   Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:24 pm

I have removed them and plugged the hole with a 1/4 or 5/16 bolt and a lot of gasket maker and a nut to hold it in to plug the hole in the block.
Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Age : 15
Join date : 2016-10-29
Posts : 534
Forum Rep : 24
Location : Lewisburg, KY

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT3000 "MUTT"   Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:44 pm

Got a set of 18x6.50-8 Carlisle Snow Hogs for Christmas and was pretty excited to put them on! So after a brief bag of twizzlers I went out to the shop and pretty much beat the old tires off of the rims and threw the Snow Hogs on. The old tires came off really easy despite being on therecfor 20+ years. I pretty much beat them down off the rim with a hammer and a big chisel thing. The rims still had pristine white paint! The snow hogs went on without a hitch and hold air! (i kept them tubeless, it seems to work just fine) Also, some pics of my front axle





Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Age : 15
Join date : 2016-10-29
Posts : 534
Forum Rep : 24
Location : Lewisburg, KY

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT3000 "MUTT"   Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:53 pm

Been doing some stuff to her today, I cleaned the crap out of the sump(dad called it paraffin or something like that, wax that came out of the oil). I cleaned the mating surface on the sump for the gasket that I have not aquired yet and fixed the timing. (The crank gear had come out of place when I removed the sump) Also, I looked the over possibilities of putting a Briggs model 31 pressure lube I was given for free a few months ago. The mounting holes are there but I don't feel like scabbing an intake, carb, and bunch of other things off of the 14.5 I have just to take them back off later. The shroud you see in the pics is to a Briggs model 31 splash lube that the rings went out of.



Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT3000 "MUTT"   

Back to top Go down
 
Craftsman GT3000 "MUTT"
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
 Similar topics
-
» My first build 2003 craftsman gt3000 23hp v-twin
» The Mudding Craftsman
» Craftsman GT3000 "MUTT"
» Thinking about fixing steering
» Craftsman mower

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum :: Tractor Project Builds :: Off Road/Rally Tractor Project & Builds-
Jump to: