All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog inCountdown Timer
Swing by the Chatroom anytime! Chat events held every Saturday, 8pm EST - whenever!
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum!
The 2018 Build Off is almost HALF WAY!! Click Here to view 2017 results!
ATLTF sticker shipments will resume soon! View them here, and keep up to date!
The forum is getting a minor face-lift. We hope you like it. Details here: Facelifting the Forum

Share | 

Best pulley ratio for trail/ torque?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
thesmokeyredneck
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Forum Rep : 0

PostSubject: Best pulley ratio for trail/ torque?   Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:44 pm

Im building a dynamark 16/42 i have a 19.5 horse brigs twin i want it to b a utv type mud mower like a trail buster it has a 4 speed in it im trying to get some advice on wat a good ratio is and if i want spd and torque or mainly torque if anyone has any advice that b awesome i also am building a speed mud mower for more ruppin through the mud with i was wondering if a double belt system is better or a single belt drive for this i have a few doners to choose from my power plant for that is a 15 horse single brigs
Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
Grand Master
Grand Master

Forum Rep : 51

PostSubject: Re: Best pulley ratio for trail/ torque?   Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:53 pm

A 1:1 ratio is a good start for some good speed and good grunt. I run a 6" to 6" pulley and can pull most anything in first gear, and get a 15mph top speed.
Back to top Go down
MatthewD
Grand Master
Grand Master

Forum Rep : 34

PostSubject: Re: Best pulley ratio for trail/ torque?   Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:32 pm

Yeah I agree with RROD. A 1:1 is a good all round ratio, although I ran a 5" front pulley and 3 1/2" trans pulley for a while and clocked 22mph. It would still pull very strong in 1st gear. If you are going for torque, I suggest running big pulleys front and rear (at least 5"). You might find that you do not have the space for a huge pulley at the front but try and get the biggest possible one fitted in. Bigger pulleys = more surface area for the belt = less belt slippage = happy person Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Rockinator
Apprentice
Apprentice

Forum Rep : 1

PostSubject: Re: Best pulley ratio for trail/ torque?   Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:45 pm

If your running stock clutch, dont go anything below a four inch rear pulley. Thats what i run on my craftsman and i experience minor belt slippage, but overall run a 1:1 ratio like RROD a and matthewD said.
Back to top Go down
thesmokeyredneck
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Forum Rep : 0

PostSubject: Re: Best pulley ratio for trail/ torque?   Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:07 am

Thanks for the advice everyone right now i have a 5" up front and a 4" in back i cant go any bigger up front do to stock clutch placement which i might change... This project is more of a mule or workhorse/recovery rig im building a speed mud racer too that will b for more speed
Back to top Go down
Doug
Administrator
Administrator

Forum Rep : 35

PostSubject: Re: Best pulley ratio for trail/ torque?   Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:58 am

@thesmokeyredneck wrote:
Thanks for the advice everyone right now i have a 5" up front and a 4" in back i cant go any bigger up front do to stock clutch placement which i might change... This project is more of a mule or workhorse/recovery rig im building a speed mud racer too that will b for more speed  

5 to 4 should be fine for a workhorse.

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

2018 Build Off Entry Commissionaire - Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875, @MightyRaze
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21

Back to top Go down
MatthewD
Grand Master
Grand Master

Forum Rep : 34

PostSubject: Re: Best pulley ratio for trail/ torque?   Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:02 pm

You might find that 5:4 is a little bit quick for general jobs (pulling a trailer etc) but it is nice to have that extra speed sometimes! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best pulley ratio for trail/ torque?   

Back to top Go down

Best pulley ratio for trail/ torque?
Page 1 of 1