All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

Can you make an amphibious mower? Lend10PortalHomeFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog inDiscordCountdown TimerCan you make an amphibious mower? Rend10
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum!
2019 Build Off Underway!
2019 Top Tractor Challenge! Aug 17th and 18th! DETAILS HERE!

Can you make an amphibious mower?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
CraftsMAN
Skilled
Skilled
CraftsMAN

Forum Rep : 0

Can you make an amphibious mower? Empty
PostSubject: Can you make an amphibious mower?   Can you make an amphibious mower? Icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2011 3:39 pm

So I mentioned before I wanted to build a anphibious lawnmower. I have told this to a few people and they are like your an idiot. Well I fish in my pond a lot and I am to cheap to buy a small boat. So here is what I am thinking. I would drive it by using a trolling motor. I would tie it in to my battery so my charging system would run it. The trolling motor is a great way to steer it also. I would mount it to the back of my mower. I would leave the mower running but out of gear until I got to the shore so it would keep my battery charged. I have a friend who sells plastic drums 55 33 30 gallon for like 10$ a pop. I figured I would mount 2 55 gal barrels one on each side right by the rear wheels then a 33 gal in the front. Any questions or comments? I am unsure how I should secure the barrels or if I should use wood or steel.. I figured I would leave it up to you guys. My pond is a little over the size of a football field.. affraid
Back to top Go down
CMHN
Apprentice
Apprentice
CMHN

PostSubject: Re: Can you make an amphibious mower?   Can you make an amphibious mower? Icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2011 5:29 pm

That would work, or you can put on some sand tires, you know the ones that have the big flaps on them. Put a rudder on the back of the tractor and you can just drive on the water.

Very Happy

Will be interested to see how you make out.
Back to top Go down
http://ctraugh.blogspot.com/
CraftsMAN
Skilled
Skilled
CraftsMAN

PostSubject: Re: Can you make an amphibious mower?   Can you make an amphibious mower? Icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2011 7:22 pm

Well I would still like to drive it down the road.. The trolling motor was an easier solution to sand tires and rudder. Plus it is a little faster.
Back to top Go down
Jamus
Veteran
Veteran
Jamus

PostSubject: Re: Can you make an amphibious mower?   Can you make an amphibious mower? Icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2011 8:43 pm

55 gal drums on each side with a steel bracket that mounts to the mowing deck mounts? Will the belts be slipping from being submerged once you're ready to drive back out of the pond?
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcbashers.com
CraftsMAN
Skilled
Skilled
CraftsMAN

PostSubject: Re: Can you make an amphibious mower?   Can you make an amphibious mower? Icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2011 9:24 pm

I was thinking a little further back so I have better weight distribution. My belts do not slip when in water.. If I am in 5th or 6th gear than they do but not in first.
Back to top Go down
noledroByrreK
Skilled
Skilled
noledroByrreK

PostSubject: Re: Can you make an amphibious mower?   Can you make an amphibious mower? Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2011 8:42 pm

that thing will be fun to see in action.. pics please

and this is not exactly what ur doing but is kinda cool. lol

http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/848671-man-combines-boat-and-mower-to-create-shortcutter

scroll down and u see it was a old murray.. i think i saw somewhere that it was a 25 hp
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/noledroByrreK?feature=mhum

PostSubject: Fishing mower   Can you make an amphibious mower? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2011 11:53 am

Ever seen a WILCraft? Slick little rig.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can you make an amphibious mower?   Can you make an amphibious mower? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Can you make an amphibious mower?
Page 1 of 1