All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Briggs Oppy foot throttle with governor

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
moparjim
moparjim

briggs - Briggs Oppy foot throttle with governor Empty
PostSubject: Briggs Oppy foot throttle with governor   briggs - Briggs Oppy foot throttle with governor Icon_minitimeJanuary 13th 2017, 6:33 pm

I am trying to hook up a foot throttle to my oppy and keep the governor functional. What do you guys use to make the throttle work? I'm gonna be building a pedal and cable holder similar to Stretch's design, but am in the dark as far as how to hook the cable to the governor linkage. Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
RichieRichOverdrive

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Briggs Oppy foot throttle with governor   briggs - Briggs Oppy foot throttle with governor Icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2017, 12:15 am

I hooked mine in the stock location and used a little cable clevis to hook to the linkage to the cable, and added a return spring hooked from the linkage to the frame
Back to top Go down
moparjim
moparjim

PostSubject: Re: Briggs Oppy foot throttle with governor   briggs - Briggs Oppy foot throttle with governor Icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2017, 10:07 am

Is there a picture of that on your build thread? I just happened to have looked at some of it yesterday.
Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
RichieRichOverdrive

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Briggs Oppy foot throttle with governor   briggs - Briggs Oppy foot throttle with governor Icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2017, 10:53 am

I'm afraid I don't, I looked through all of my pics. Is your oppy horizontal or vertical? I've hooked them up on both, on the horizontal I just used that same cable clevis and clamped the cable down with the stock screw and clamp to hold it, and added a return spring. It worked pretty well. Also i think everybody should have a few of these cable clevises, are handier than a pocket on a shirt and make foot throttles a lot easier
briggs - Briggs Oppy foot throttle with governor Thrott10
Back to top Go down
moparjim
moparjim

PostSubject: Re: Briggs Oppy foot throttle with governor   briggs - Briggs Oppy foot throttle with governor Icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2017, 11:08 am

It's a vertical shaft. That looks easy enough to make, I'd be more apt to make it out of steel, aluminum and me don't get along very well....lmao. I definitely can visualize how you have it setup now. Do you still have your hand throttle hooked up? I was hoping to keep that as well, it's nice for plowing and keeping a steady rpm to keep the battery charged while winching.
Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
RichieRichOverdrive

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Briggs Oppy foot throttle with governor   briggs - Briggs Oppy foot throttle with governor Icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2017, 12:26 pm

I don't have a hand throttle, no. I'm planning on it when I go ungoverned though as just a bit of an idle adjust. I did see that it would have been fairly easy if you just hooked it up from the other side of the engine with a kind of a one way cable setup- maybe just a clamp on the end of the cable and a stop on the linkage so it could ride up the cable when you step on the throttle and pull the linkage when you push up the and throttle. Or you could use a more flexible/not solid cable and hook it up the same way that the other side is
Back to top Go down
moparjim
moparjim

PostSubject: Re: Briggs Oppy foot throttle with governor   briggs - Briggs Oppy foot throttle with governor Icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2017, 2:02 pm

I'm gonna play around with it this weekend to see what I can conjure up as far as a pedal and linkage. I'll get pics up on my build if and when I get something made up.
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Briggs Oppy foot throttle with governor   briggs - Briggs Oppy foot throttle with governor Icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2017, 9:00 pm

I did a foot throttle with the governor still attached and the dash "hand" lever.

First thing I figured, was I wanted to have the hand throttle be the "master" or "cruise control" if needed.  To do that, I have to be able to float the foot lever, but be able to pull on the throttle with the foot when I wanted to go, go go!

I put a small bolt that I drilled a hole on the backside so the govenor could float when the hand trottle was in use.  The cable from my foot throttle goes through this hole and to a spring at the end.  At idle on the hand throttle, the govenor just sits at the stop on the foot throttle.  I throttle up by hand, the lever moves off the stop.  If I want to throttle with the foot, that stop i clamped to the cable grabs the lever and pulls.  The spring at the end pulls the cable back.  I also have a secondary spring on the foot petal.

briggs - Briggs Oppy foot throttle with governor IMG_20170114_192443605_zps52ihzo3b

briggs - Briggs Oppy foot throttle with governor IMG_20170114_192451322_zpsi1bkls2y

Not sure if it is the best or right way to do it, but it works for me.

briggs - Briggs Oppy foot throttle with governor Sig115PROJECTS:
     Marshal ........93 Craftsman GT6000      
     Red Bandit ...72 Wheel Horse Raider 12
     Dirty Rat........77 Sears Suburban
     Bowser..........01 Murray Widebody LT
     Other projects
Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!
briggs - Briggs Oppy foot throttle with governor Sig214briggs - Briggs Oppy foot throttle with governor Sig314
Back to top Go down
moparjim
moparjim

PostSubject: Re: Briggs Oppy foot throttle with governor   briggs - Briggs Oppy foot throttle with governor Icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2017, 11:40 pm

Awesome, I have another option to try. If we could get enough different setups, this might be sticky worthy.
Back to top Go down
Mister_Studabaker
Mister_Studabaker

PostSubject: Re: Briggs Oppy foot throttle with governor   briggs - Briggs Oppy foot throttle with governor Icon_minitimeApril 7th 2019, 10:02 am

@MightyRaze  Does your concept work like the content in this video?  Two springs, two cables, couple of lock collars and two post to slide the springs through?

Best Regards,
Mister Studabaker

Back to top Go down
Crazy_Carl
Veteran Member
Crazy_Carl
Veteran Member

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Briggs Oppy foot throttle with governor   briggs - Briggs Oppy foot throttle with governor Icon_minitimeApril 7th 2019, 10:23 am

Here's how I connected my factory dash throttle and my custom gas pedal to the governor plate on my K181. I retained the governor functionality. I absolutely love it. There are some pictures in my Ol' Red thread too. I know my motor is different but every engines has some kind of plate to hook control cables to.

Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Briggs Oppy foot throttle with governor   briggs - Briggs Oppy foot throttle with governor Icon_minitimeApril 7th 2019, 11:17 pm

Yeah, I have my normal throttle and my foot pulling on the governor.

briggs - Briggs Oppy foot throttle with governor Sig115PROJECTS:
     Marshal ........93 Craftsman GT6000      
     Red Bandit ...72 Wheel Horse Raider 12
     Dirty Rat........77 Sears Suburban
     Bowser..........01 Murray Widebody LT
     Other projects
Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!
briggs - Briggs Oppy foot throttle with governor Sig214briggs - Briggs Oppy foot throttle with governor Sig314
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Briggs Oppy foot throttle with governor   briggs - Briggs Oppy foot throttle with governor Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Briggs Oppy foot throttle with governor
Page 1 of 1