All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist]

Go down 
+6
MightyRaze
CraftsmanQuad19
Dustin M.
RichieRichOverdrive
TheBeal
Dave 007
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Dave 007

2017 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist] Empty
PostSubject: 2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist]   2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist] Icon_minitimeMay 4th 2017, 5:43 am

2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist] 007102017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist] 003102017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist] 4110https://i.servimg.com/u/f58/19/61/16/56/ddvdev10.jpg[/img]2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist] Gsdf102017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist] Dff102017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist] 005y66102017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist] Q16102017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist] Q15102017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist] Q18102017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist] 002162017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist] 00215
2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist] 55u152017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist] Feww102017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist] Yy10https://i.servimg.com/u/f58/19/61/16/56/rt7itr10.jpg[/img]2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist] Ukrk102017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist] 3210
I am an Australian entrant my plan is to build a low cost high speed modified mower, Australia is one of the driest country's in the world, we don't get many muddy conditions where I live.

I do all my measurement in metric, there are conversion tables available if you want to follow my build methods.

This is my very first build. The mower is a Australian made cox mower early 1970s model. It will have a 420cc clone engine, the transmission is a 40 series tav with jack shaft drive. It will have a rear disk brake and 42 pitch chain driven live axel. The rear sprocket is a 32 tooth and drive sprocket is a 12 tooth This model Cox came out with no differential, It uses a friction drive arrangement. I will be fitting rack and pinion steering and off set front spindles. the chassis will be reinforced, I will also be doing some sheet metal fabrication. The rear tires are 18x9.50x8 the front tires are 18x9.50x8.

A lot of the build will be decided as I move on with the project. Most parts were found at the scrap yard and my sons got me the engine for my birthday. Thanks Doc and my new mower family for the support and inspiration.

I Received my series 40 transmission also went down to the scrap yard and collected some steel for the chassis
There are lots of parts coming soon, Just waiting for my front tires to arrive so I can mount rear axel and pillow blocks so I can establish ride height then work out engine and jack shaft position.

The colour will be Kubota Orange and Black chassis. I will have SPEEDSTER painted on each side of the bonnet with some hand painted Pin Striping.

Today I stripped down the mower body and removed the foot steps and cleaned up the old welds. I set out a plan for the chassis so I can attach the body to it. I will be building the chassis with cross bracing and also fitting side Intrusion bars. My sports steering wheel arrived along with my disc brake rotor and calliper. I am really starting to focus on the design and I am thinking about adding an alternator so I can run lights.

On the weekend I went along to a country Market, I picked up a couple of handy bits and all of a sudden , in the corner of my eye I saw a flash of chrome, I jumped like a Kangaroo and there it was a stainless steel muffler of a Fordson tractor, I asked the bloke how much for that muffler, he replied $5 ok mate I replied I'll pay $5 for that no worries. I walked back to my car thinking this would be perfect on my Speedster, how lucky to find it so cheap. It made my day.

Today some more parts arrived I'm still waiting on my front tires so I can start building the chassis, I spent a few hours marking it all out on my work table, getting it true was time consuming but I plan to use it again for my next build because I'm using the same model mower to modify. I guess I'm being fussy but I want it to be spot on so as I continue the build It will be square and true. This makes life easier when working out the height, engine and jack shaft mounting points also the steering brakes and drive sprocket, its also important to have the mower balanced, working out the seating position and so on. Had another fun day just annoyed with the delivery's taking so long as I live in a remote area of my State.

Today I sat down and did my drawings for my project Speedster, I have spent many hours with math and measurements. I have marked out a template drawing on my work table, set out where my chassis will be made, allowed for Disc brake, rear Sprocket. pillow blocks, also at the front end I marked out steering axel, rack and pinion position, steering hubs and roughly worked out the off set for the front axel so it will be level and track straight, I calculated where the steering arms will sit by measuring at the centre of the stub axel to the centre of the rear of the chassis as seen on Sprockets Garage. In the centre of the table I marked out engine position, jackshaft, and made allowances for tav40 clutch and driven pulley, from there I fitted the engine on the body to position the steering shaft, it clears very nicely with the bonnet fitting snug. I will first build the chassis then fit the front and rear axels remembering that the rear wheels are a bigger diameter and the front being smaller making sure the chassis sits level with the wheels fitted, I made a mock up of the seating position and held the steering wheel to see how it will fit up and so far it all looks good.

Today I went in to Ballarat to the steel supplier and was lucky to get some off cuts at scrap prices, I got
3x2.5 metre lengths of 40x40x2.5 mm and a 1metre length of c channel 100x80x80mm all for $15. the box section will be for the chassis and the c channel I will use to make the front stub axel sections. I have watched the Diesel Wiesel build about 20 times and have learnt a lot from Docs teachings. I seem to mention a lot about doing the math and planning a lot and also I have done many drawings as well. I have set up my work table as a template and will fix some timber to form a jig set up, that way I know each time I make a section of the Speedster it will be spot on each time. I'm going to make 3 basic chassis and that way the next builds will be a lot easier to modify and add to for the next lot of builds. I did an engine count and I have 12 small industrial engines to use, some from as early as 1950, Villiers, technemesh. and a few Briggs engines. Some I found at the dump and others were given to me by friends who all know how I love these stationary engines and mowers. I'm going to see about buying another ride on Saturday I'm sure I will be taking it home. then I will have 4 mowers to build. Thanks again you have all been great. It has really cheered me up.

Today I started building the chassis, using my work table and the template drawing I did on the table I set up a jig and sat the mower body in position then cut all my steel and made sure it would all fit. I made an allowance foe front wheel steer clearance and then in the jig I tacked the chassis then fitted the mower body then did a few more tacks then fitted the front axel. each end of the axel I cut a 20 degree angle for the camber then when I fit the steering stubs axels I will lean them back 10 degrees, I did this watching Docs build on Diesel Wiesel. I clamped and braced the chassis before tacking it so nothing moves, So good so far.

Today I finished the chassis. I sat the steel on my work bench and made a jig on the template I drew on my table. I sat the body of the mower in position clamped down the steel and tacked it . I did measurement to make sure that it was square then welded it up. Apart from setting fire to my jacket it all went well. I did a test fit of the engine and also the jackshaft and also the steering shaft to make sure I am on the right track, the only mistake I made was that I made the front axel too long, so I cut it off and fitted another at the correct length. After I welded it all up I cleaned up the welds and then fitted the bod and engine just to double check it all fits. I am having a lot of fun, thanks again to Doc and my mower family you have all been inspiring and educational.

Today I have been working on the front and rear of the Speedster. I made up front stub axels and steering out riggers. I used 6mm flat steel 90x90mm and welded steel tube to it to slide the king pin through, this section will be welded to the axel with a 10 degree off set and a 20 degree lean inwards at the top, for the stub axels I welded 2 pieces of angle so the form a c channel, I drilled a hole in the centre to fit front wheel stub axel, I then fitted the king pin and the steering out rigger. I use Docs acrimon measurement and it all works well. On the rear I drilled holes in the chassis to fit the rear pillow blocks making an allowance for the disc and drive sprocket. I have made enough clearance so I can run a 32,44, and 70 tooth sprockets, it give me lots of gearing option. When I drilled the holes for the pillow blocks to mount the rear axel I fitted bushes inside the chassis so when I bolt it up it wont crush the chassis box section, I did this by drilling a hole for the bolt then a larger hole to fit in the bush, I then added a piece of flat plate over where I fitted the bushes and welded it then drill bolt size hole through the plate . drilling from the top down as a guild. this will ad great strength when I mount the rear axel. Later today I will add some plate supports and gusset to reinforce the chassis. I have found through experience that mig welds are very hard and with the use on a dirt track the mild steel and the mig weld will crack so reinforcing the welds will give the chassis much needed strength at the same time reduce the weight of the chassis. so it going well.

Spent some time working on the chassis, I fitted the body of the mower and fitted the rear axel so I can start fitting the brakes and drive sprocket. I'm making a engine and transmission frame so it becomes one unit, that way it will be easy to remove for servicing and repairs. Next step is to fit front steering hubs and rack and pinion, then make a steering column support. Good progress so far.

Today I made the front wheel spindles, and fitted them, the wheels have good clearance, next is to fit the rack and pinion, I should have it driving in a few weeks.

I got the steering all sorted, put brass bushes in the steering support, aligned the front end.

I made the cowl and did all the sheet metal work using old industrial shelving bit of messing around and fits nice and snug.

I got it all together now ready for the test drive, the only problem I had was with the transmission, the comet specs didn’t match the Chinese made 40 series, went through a couple of belts and found a few problems.

The first was the driven clutch was opening to far and the belt would hit the rivets inside the pulley, the spring was not working very well, I discovered that the driven clutch was getting very hot so I set the mower on a table and did a bench test. The problem was the cooling system on the engine was blowing hot air onto the clutch, this was over heating it causing the spring not to work very well, so I made a heat shield fitted it behind the driven clutch and it worked very well keeping the clutch from getting to hot, but after another test drive the clutch still opened to much destroying another belt, so I put a spacer behind the cerclip on the clutch this stopped it from opening to much but reduced it from 1-7 to 1-6 not noticeable with no more belt problems.

I then took it on an epic thumping test drive and it worked fantastic except for a new problem, I had the fuel tank mounted on the bonnet and at high speed the petrol started spraying out into my face! So I mounted a Murray tank I had under the bonnet worked well.

I stripped all the paint off the body work and painted it Rocket Red, the did the pin striping and made it look very cool.

It’s been a long haul but for my first ever build I learned so much. I have stated a page called Mowertoreum and also a YouTube channel as well, I plan to make this my new path in life as it brought me so much enjoyment. I loved doing Art sculptures as a therapy for my depression I suffer but doing the Lawn Tractor build was the bet thing I have done to help my mental health. It’s a subject we don’t like to talk about but it’s important that if we suffer from depression it needs to be addressed. To many people have taken their lives with this invisible illness, that can be avoided.

Anyhow I finished my build and feel very satisfied that I made it all on my own and it works.

I would like to thanks all those who helped with tips and advice, this kept me inspired so I continued on the project and finished it. A big thank you to the  ATLTF.com and also Sprockets Garage who inspired me and gave me a new lease in life. It seriously has helped me with my self confidence.

Best wishes to all and remember we are all winners being part of this wonderful community.

Hopefully I can get something going hear in Australia as there is nothing like this community here.

Best wishes, stay safe and healthy,

Kind regards Dave Vecchio ( Dave 007)

Last edited by Dave 007 on November 27th 2017, 5:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dave 007

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist] Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist]   2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist] Icon_minitimeSeptember 10th 2017, 2:50 am

My computer crashed back soon with update
Back to top Go down
TheBeal
Veteran Member
TheBeal
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: 2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist]   2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist] Icon_minitimeSeptember 10th 2017, 10:34 am

Good to hear. This looks like a fun build.
Back to top Go down
Dave 007

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: 2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist]   2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist] Icon_minitimeOctober 26th 2017, 12:33 am

Been a fantastic experience, the main thing I have learned is that when you modify one part you have to modify the next part, this is my very first build , in Australia we don't have a lot of the parts as in Canada and the USA, so I had to make what I couldn't get. I have got it going and driving, the only problem I had was getting the transmission and jack shaft worked out. Once I did that I was amazed how fast the Speedster went. It was a real rush and very satisfying making it then driving it. I am doing the strip down now and to tweak a couple things then finish sheet metal work and safety stuff then paint. Time went so quick, so now I'm in to it again to get it finished. Thanks to everyone who gave me tips and some guidance, its been a blast2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist] Chghg11
Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
RichieRichOverdrive

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: 2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist]   2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist] Icon_minitimeOctober 27th 2017, 6:01 pm

Looks great mate! Gonna keep it close to the original paint scheme, or something else? Some orange and black pinstriping would look cool on that cream color!
Back to top Go down
Dave 007

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: 2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist]   2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist] Icon_minitimeOctober 30th 2017, 2:24 pm

Gee Wizz, so many things to do. I stripped the Speedster down and tidied up all the welds, I also set up the steering a bit better, its nice and firm now. I was lucky I found a motorcycle exhaust off a Suzuki 1000 and modified it to fit, got it for $5 it had a dent in it so I made a wide scrap and covered it , fitted well and made the mower so quiet, Its driving great had an issue with the jack shaft coming loose, I forgot to tighten the bolts up. all fixed now. today I am going to make a cover for the transmission and start concentrating on the panel work. I have been using old industrial shelving, its a good sheet metal to work with, also planning a front bumper too. So far It has be a low cost build using scrap metal to built it and going to junk yards picking up bits and pieces for nothing. Anyhow I'm still at it and almost done I hope anyways. cheers.
Back to top Go down
Dave 007

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: 2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist]   2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist] Icon_minitimeOctober 30th 2017, 2:29 pm

RichieRichOverdrive wrote:
Looks great mate! Gonna keep it close to the original paint scheme, or something else? Some orange and black pinstriping would look cool on that cream color!

Well I got a tin of orange car paint and also some white and yellow, I just want to try and use what's in the shed, The cream dose look good I might be able to mix something up.
Back to top Go down
Dustin M.
Dustin M.

2019 Build-Off Entrant
2019 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: 2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist]   2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist] Icon_minitimeOctober 30th 2017, 8:15 pm

I like the original weathered Cox hood, maybe lose the face on the front end...but that is just me Surprised, you got to do what does it for you! Very nice job over all.

It is always good to try to use up old paint, I have been trying to do that for the past 20 years...new stuff just keeps showing up.

Looks like that TAV40 CVT is pretty well matched for that engine. If that CVT has adjust-ability and you really wanted to get into it, Olav Aaen's Clutch Tuning Handbook is a wealth of knowledge, geared toward snowmobiles, but the CVT tuning principles are the same. I was heavily involved with CVTs back in my college SAE Baja days and know how badly an improperly tuned CVT can kill performance, the inverse is true for a well tuned CVT!
Back to top Go down
Dave 007

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: 2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist]   2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist] Icon_minitimeNovember 2nd 2017, 12:52 am

Dustin M. wrote:
I like the original weathered Cox hood, maybe lose the face on the front end...but that is just me Surprised, you got to do what does it for you! Very nice job over all.

It is always good to try to use up old paint, I have been trying to do that for the past 20 years...new stuff just keeps showing up.

Looks like that TAV40 CVT is pretty well matched for that engine. If that CVT has adjust-ability and you really wanted to get into it, Olav Aaen's Clutch Tuning Handbook is a wealth of knowledge, geared toward snowmobiles, but the CVT tuning principles are the same. I was heavily involved with CVTs back in my college SAE Baja days and know how badly an improperly tuned CVT can kill performance, the inverse is true for a well tuned CVT!

Thanks for the information on that book, I'm having problems with the 40 series, I went by the comet specs and it wont match up. I only get about a mile or 2 and the belt stretches or falls to bits, I think its because its a Chinese copy and the driven clutch may have a spring to light for it. I'm pulling my hair out because only 3 weeks to go and I need to sort it quick. I have done 3 belts and at $35 a belt I just don't have the money. I have spent days on it but no go. when it dose go its super fast and has heaps of power. Don't know what to do ???
Back to top Go down
TheBeal
Veteran Member
TheBeal
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: 2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist]   2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist] Icon_minitimeNovember 2nd 2017, 11:09 am

Man that sucks. I assume youve gone over the clutches to make sure they are aligned properly, any evidence the belt is rubbing on anything when the driver expands?

Even a cheap belt should last longer than that.

Wrong belt?

Back to top Go down
Dave 007

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: 2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist]   2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist] Icon_minitimeNovember 6th 2017, 1:28 pm

TheBeal wrote:
Man that sucks. I assume youve gone over the clutches to make sure they are aligned properly, any evidence the belt is rubbing on anything when the driver expands?

Even a cheap belt should last longer than that.

Wrong belt?

Great news I did a bench test with the driven clutch un bolted and no spacer, it centred itself, the other problem was the driven clutch was not closing properly when slowing revs so I gave it a twist and opened the clutch spring some more, that worked well, so after I fixed it in position I drove it like a "BAT OUT OF HELL" for 3 hrs, looks like its all good. Thanks so much for the help, made my day. cheers.
Back to top Go down
Dave 007

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: 2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist]   2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist] Icon_minitimeNovember 6th 2017, 1:36 pm

I'm on to the bodywork now then paint, looking good now, getting close to the finish line. I cannot wait to start my next one, already have the lawn tractor all ready to go. this one is going to be so much better than the speedster. I think my first ever build has come along well, definitely a learning experience, been a lot of fun and lost a bit of hair and a few screams, hehehehe. but all good fun. cheers.
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist

PostSubject: Re: 2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist]   2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist] Icon_minitimeNovember 6th 2017, 2:47 pm

Man I really love the way the hood looks. Great patina. Idk I think any patina looks good lol
Back to top Go down
Dustin M.
Dustin M.

2019 Build-Off Entrant
2019 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: 2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist]   2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist] Icon_minitimeNovember 7th 2017, 11:05 pm

I am glad you got the CVT sorted enough to get the Speedster going. It sounds like the clutch was shifting all the way out immediately and the drive pulley was tearing the belt up due to it stretching the crap out of it. Giving the driven a twist to increase the spring rate sounds like it was enough to keep the drive pulley in check. If you are interested, I can dig out my old book and notes and post simplified CVT tuning steps, let me know.
Back to top Go down
Dave 007

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: 2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist]   2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist] Icon_minitimeNovember 8th 2017, 3:08 am

2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist] Fgfgff10

got the paint off then a surprise finish. I also moved the fuel tank under the bonnt

Last edited by Dave 007 on November 8th 2017, 3:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dave 007

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: 2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist]   2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist] Icon_minitimeNovember 8th 2017, 3:17 am

Dustin M. wrote:
I am glad you got the CVT sorted enough to get the Speedster going. It sounds like the clutch was shifting all the way out immediately and the drive pulley was tearing the belt up due to it stretching the crap out of it. Giving the driven a twist to increase the spring rate sounds like it was enough to keep the drive pulley in check. If you are interested, I can dig out my old book and notes and post simplified CVT tuning steps, let me know.

Thanks I got it all working, tricky to set up with jack shaft, I would like a gopower sport plate set up but its $400 freight to Australia, with the dollar exchange be close to a $1000 sent here. But the great thing is I have learnt a new skill and had a great time doing it.

Last edited by Dave 007 on November 8th 2017, 3:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dave 007

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: 2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist]   2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist] Icon_minitimeNovember 8th 2017, 3:21 am

CraftsmanQuad19 wrote:
Man I really love the way the hood looks. Great patina. Idk I think any patina looks good lol

I am going to give it some paint I was thinking black, or orange I have some blue and a tin of red, not sure what colour yet
Back to top Go down
Dave 007

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: 2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist]   2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist] Icon_minitimeNovember 12th 2017, 5:08 am

I painted the Speedster today and have added an air scoop. I am almost finish, just waiting on some new drive belts. I also started a YouTube channel Called Mowertoreum. I have also started a page on Facebook called Mowertoreum as well. I posted a practice video and will post in about 14 days a proper detailed Video as soon as I'm finished. I have made some changes to the speedster I hope you all like it. It drives and stops very well, I have followed the rules the best I could, There are so many things to do with a build and for my first ever one I have learnt a lot, thanks again to all that helped with tips and advice. I hope you all like The Australian version of a modified all terrain mower, thanks again.
Back to top Go down
Dave 007

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: 2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist]   2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist] Icon_minitimeNovember 13th 2017, 12:35 am

Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: 2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist]   2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist] Icon_minitimeNovember 13th 2017, 1:06 am

Looks great Dave! Love the red and black! Scoop looks sweet too! Hope we see the next video of you tearing up to Australian turf!

2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist] Sig115PROJECTS:
     Marshal ........93 Craftsman GT6000      
     Red Bandit ...72 Wheel Horse Raider 12
     Dirty Rat........77 Sears Suburban
     Bowser..........01 Murray Widebody LT
     Other projects
Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!
2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist] Sig2142017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist] Sig314
Back to top Go down
Dave 007

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: 2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist]   2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist] Icon_minitimeNovember 13th 2017, 4:02 am

mightyraze wrote:
Looks great Dave!  Love the red and black!  Scoop looks sweet too!  Hope we see the next video of you tearing up to Australian turf!

Thanks Mate, I’m looking forward to driving it hard! The hot weather is starting up here so there will be lots of dust flying, thanks again, cheers.
Back to top Go down
Dave 007

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: 2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist]   2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist] Icon_minitimeNovember 13th 2017, 4:25 am

Today I re made the chain tensioner, it was to short so it wasn’t really taking up the slack very well, so I extended it and now I have plenty of travel with it. The real test is when I’m bashing through the scrub, if it dose the job then I’ll be very pleased. What’s annoying is the chain could be half a link shorter, but I think the chain will stretch so then I will take out a link and it will be fine.

The hot weather here has been great, perfect time for painting, should be fully dry ready to polish in a few days. There’s so much more I wanted to do but time has caught me, after the build off is done I was thinking of some lights and more chrome make it look nice and tuff. Not long now, I have been waiting all week for my new drive belts to arrive, I destroyed 3 getting it working, the comet specs don’t really match up with the Chinese version, I wish I had the money I would love a 40 series comet kit with the backing plate from go power sports, save a lot of brain pain.

Anyhow I hope you like my first attempt at presenting my Mowertoreum video on YouTube, I was a bit nervous and it seemed strange talking to my iPad, anyhow I guess it’s all about practicing, more you do the better you get.

I have so many new ideas coming up soon it’s going to be a blast. I would like to build a real mudder with heaps of power and also use my old 1950s engines the old villiers English made classics. And all the other Briggs motors I have collected over the years.

Thanks for reading my updates, cheers.
Back to top Go down
Dave 007

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: 2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist]   2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist] Icon_minitimeNovember 13th 2017, 5:00 am

2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist] 27f29d10
2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist] A4de0a10
2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist] 49179a10
2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist] 1ff2f310
Back to top Go down
Dave 007

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: 2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist]   2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist] Icon_minitimeNovember 13th 2017, 5:06 am

2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist] 6ef6e610
2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist] 66adfc10

I’m amazed how the build has evolved, this is so much fun!
Back to top Go down
Dave 007

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: 2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist]   2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist] Icon_minitimeNovember 13th 2017, 5:22 am

2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist] F937a510
2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist] 1837ff10
2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist] 9afd1b10
[url=https:

These are some of the engines I plan to use in future builds, the Orange Kirby runs fantastic the other villiers need some TLC, I have been looking at them each time I walk in my shed wondering what to do with the, but since I have joined this forum I now have an answer, in fact I can see them in my head on builds having a great time. My sons call me a Mowerholic... but it’s somethi I really enjoy doing, It’s therapy for me and the satisfaction of doing at home with stuff that was once no longer wanted. It’s like giving it all a second chance to live again.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist]   2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist] Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2017 lawn tractor buildoff SPEEDSTER Dave 007 [2017 Build-Off Entry] [Finalist]
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next