All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog inCountdown Timer
Swing by the Chatroom anytime! Next Chat Event - 10/7/2017 @ 8:00pm EST .
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum!
ATTENTION!! - The 2017 ATLTF Build-Off ends just over a month! Click Here to view qualification rules, and Click Here to view entry instructions!
Be sure your build threads are updated and your build meets "finished" qualification rules!!
The new 2017 ATLTF stickers are in! View them here, and order yours while they're hot!
We now have a Discord chat server! Contact Doug for an invite link!

Share | 

Murray widebody build

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
TheGreenHornet
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Murray widebody build   Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:47 am

Okay, so what is up with the pipe... the flange on the muffler had two sets of threaded holes on it. when i removed the stock muffler, one of the bolts broke off. so i filed it flush against the hole ( i will drill it out when i get the chance and put a bolt with a nut on the other side) but for the time being, i stuck the header/ straightpipe on the free holes, and used the bolt from the muffler that didnt break off and a head bolt from a 5 horse briggs. its not permanent i swear lol. i just did that because i was in a hurry. more than likely ill dig through my stash of bolts and find another muffler bolt and put the muffler back on for now. it was a bad idea to even mess with it at that point.
Back to top Go down
TheGreenHornet
Apprentice
Apprentice

Forum Rep : 2

PostSubject: Re: Murray widebody build   Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:49 am

it will get straightpiped in the future...just this thing pops and crackes a lot and is loud enough with the muffler on it. i don't want to piss off my dad or anyone else before i even get it really built
Back to top Go down
TheGreenHornet
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Murray widebody build   Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:55 pm

does anybody know what i should do with the actual murray widebody? i hate to scrap a perfectly good widebody, but i don't know what to do with it lol
Back to top Go down
TheGreenHornet
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Murray widebody build   Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:29 am

quick update. after allowing the carb to sit for a couple of days with seafom in it, this thing runs like a champ! i think the valves need a little adjusting, because it pops and backfires occasionally, but now i can take it all the way down to low throttle without it dying, and it revs very quickly without choking or popping. Now the issue is that it is running very hot. While it was running, the plastic shroud was so hot that i couldn't hold my hand there for more than 3 or 4 seconds. the plastic was even becoming flexible, you know like plastic does when it gets really hot.

Took it for a romp last night. CQ and i assumed the flange was on there pretty good. the bolts were rusty and looked pretty stuck in there, so we left them alone for fear of breaking them off in the head. turns out, they were only finger tight, and the entire works fell off while i was romping last night. there is now a burned spot on the inside of the hood lol.

During the romp, i blew the front tire Mad the air leaks out as quick as it goes in. With the tierod to each tire though, it didn't drag nearly as bad as i thought it would.
Back to top Go down
TheGreenHornet
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Murray widebody build   Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:59 pm

Quick update. Blew the belt off while driving down a creek (the belt got worn, and too thin, and slipped past the belt retainers when i pushed in the clutch) And the briggs is back to running like s***. even wit the carb work, now the governor is revving up and down, and the valves are awful. They haven't ever been touched, so they were horribly out of adjustment. They were very loose, so now damage has been caused to the rocker arms and the studs because of that. Anyway, i am tired of the constant tinkering with this thing. So, on goes the 17hp tecumseh out of the parts widebody. It purrs like a kitten. Once i get it on, i will put out another update.
Back to top Go down
mightyraze

Forum Rep : 85

PostSubject: Re: Murray widebody build   Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:40 pm

Sucks about the briggs, sounds like you have a good replacement.

Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Murray widebody build   Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:38 pm

Well... i wouldn't call the tecumseh a good replacement, but itll do until i can find a solid engine to put on it. From what i have heard, the tecumsehs don't like to rev much. Ive seen several accounts of the rods not just breaking, but shattering. They also have really cheap plastic bowl carburetors. I already broke the one on it. So, i made the holes on the manifold a little bigger and put the carb from the briggs on it. They are similar, just one hole didnt quite line up. tomorrow i will finish getting it on and get it running. More updates then.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Murray widebody build   

Back to top Go down

Murray widebody build
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2