All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Murray widebody build

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
TheGreenHornet

2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

Murray widebody build - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Murray widebody build   Murray widebody build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeAugust 21st 2017, 10:47 am

Okay, so what is up with the pipe... the flange on the muffler had two sets of threaded holes on it. when i removed the stock muffler, one of the bolts broke off. so i filed it flush against the hole ( i will drill it out when i get the chance and put a bolt with a nut on the other side) but for the time being, i stuck the header/ straightpipe on the free holes, and used the bolt from the muffler that didnt break off and a head bolt from a 5 horse briggs. its not permanent i swear lol. i just did that because i was in a hurry. more than likely ill dig through my stash of bolts and find another muffler bolt and put the muffler back on for now. it was a bad idea to even mess with it at that point.
Back to top Go down
TheGreenHornet
TheGreenHornet

2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Murray widebody build   Murray widebody build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeAugust 21st 2017, 10:49 am

it will get straightpiped in the future...just this thing pops and crackes a lot and is loud enough with the muffler on it. i don't want to piss off my dad or anyone else before i even get it really built
Back to top Go down
TheGreenHornet
TheGreenHornet

2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Murray widebody build   Murray widebody build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2017, 3:55 pm

does anybody know what i should do with the actual murray widebody? i hate to scrap a perfectly good widebody, but i don't know what to do with it lol
Back to top Go down
TheGreenHornet
TheGreenHornet

2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Murray widebody build   Murray widebody build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeAugust 27th 2017, 10:29 am

quick update. after allowing the carb to sit for a couple of days with seafom in it, this thing runs like a champ! i think the valves need a little adjusting, because it pops and backfires occasionally, but now i can take it all the way down to low throttle without it dying, and it revs very quickly without choking or popping. Now the issue is that it is running very hot. While it was running, the plastic shroud was so hot that i couldn't hold my hand there for more than 3 or 4 seconds. the plastic was even becoming flexible, you know like plastic does when it gets really hot.

Took it for a romp last night. CQ and i assumed the flange was on there pretty good. the bolts were rusty and looked pretty stuck in there, so we left them alone for fear of breaking them off in the head. turns out, they were only finger tight, and the entire works fell off while i was romping last night. there is now a burned spot on the inside of the hood lol.

During the romp, i blew the front tire Mad the air leaks out as quick as it goes in. With the tierod to each tire though, it didn't drag nearly as bad as i thought it would.
Back to top Go down
TheGreenHornet
TheGreenHornet

2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Murray widebody build   Murray widebody build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeOctober 16th 2017, 4:59 pm

Quick update. Blew the belt off while driving down a creek (the belt got worn, and too thin, and slipped past the belt retainers when i pushed in the clutch) And the briggs is back to running like s***. even wit the carb work, now the governor is revving up and down, and the valves are awful. They haven't ever been touched, so they were horribly out of adjustment. They were very loose, so now damage has been caused to the rocker arms and the studs because of that. Anyway, i am tired of the constant tinkering with this thing. So, on goes the 17hp tecumseh out of the parts widebody. It purrs like a kitten. Once i get it on, i will put out another update.
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Murray widebody build   Murray widebody build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeOctober 16th 2017, 5:40 pm

Sucks about the briggs, sounds like you have a good replacement.

Murray widebody build - Page 2 Sig115PROJECTS:
     Marshal ........93 Craftsman GT6000      
     Red Bandit ...72 Wheel Horse Raider 12
     Dirty Rat........77 Sears Suburban
     Bowser..........01 Murray Widebody LT
     Other projects
Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!
Murray widebody build - Page 2 Sig214Murray widebody build - Page 2 Sig314
Back to top Go down
TheGreenHornet
TheGreenHornet

2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Murray widebody build   Murray widebody build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeOctober 16th 2017, 9:38 pm

Well... i wouldn't call the tecumseh a good replacement, but itll do until i can find a solid engine to put on it. From what i have heard, the tecumsehs don't like to rev much. Ive seen several accounts of the rods not just breaking, but shattering. They also have really cheap plastic bowl carburetors. I already broke the one on it. So, i made the holes on the manifold a little bigger and put the carb from the briggs on it. They are similar, just one hole didnt quite line up. tomorrow i will finish getting it on and get it running. More updates then.
Back to top Go down
TheGreenHornet
TheGreenHornet

2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Murray widebody build   Murray widebody build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFebruary 12th 2018, 6:16 pm

Hey guys, its been a long time since ive been on here. I never posted anything, but CQ and I stripped the murray down to the frame, got a 3.5 inch pulley on the rear, and got most of the way through working out the clutch catastrophe. I haven't been back to work on it, because my truck was in the way (I had some unscheduled body work occur in a slight mishap with a fence post) but now that that has all been taken care of (for the most part) Back to work on the murray! as it sits now, the plan is to finish the clutch and get it back together and driving. Engine is still the briggs. She does have issues, but i will run her till she dies. The tecumseh is being labeled a bust for now. Oil was full of water and that stupid plastic bowl on the carb broke. Anyway, Just thought i'd let you guys know. Once i get this thing back together and running, Some sort of paint/ bodywork is sure to be in store for the future.
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist

PostSubject: Re: Murray widebody build   Murray widebody build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSeptember 18th 2018, 11:16 am

CraftsmanQuad19 wrote:

Also, I did some measuring...this hood WILL fit a v-twin under it...just. barely.
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Remember when I said this a really long time ago? Well....the junkyard near me is closing and everything is at an “everything must go” price...any engine is 20 bucks.

So I picked up an intek vtwin for the Murray. I know they aren’t as reliable as the vanguards, but at least its a vtwin, and they’re really common. Anyway, it’s a 2002, 40 cubic inch, 21 horse. Came out of an MTD huskee.

I might pick up another intek twin or two just to have them, and there is a Kawasaki vtwin that I’ve had my eye on for a really long time. It’s a 17 horse and I want it because it’s a vtwin that is the same size as a single, so I could put it under a really small hood like my brothers silver craftsman lt10.
Back to top Go down
TheGreenHornet
TheGreenHornet

2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Murray widebody build   Murray widebody build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 3rd 2019, 5:45 pm

Quick update on the Murray. She got a 21 horse Intek twin, as well as functioning brakes. Bought tubes for the tires off the ranch king, and put those tires on, so now the rear tires match. Exhaust is currently open headers, to be worked on this evening. Debating between true duals or 2 into 1. Did a top speed run, governed, and she hit 24 mph
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist

PostSubject: Re: Murray widebody build   Murray widebody build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 3rd 2019, 10:00 pm

Forgot to meantion, got the belts sorted out and pretty much nailed it on the first try. We have the whole exhaust planned and most of the pipe cut, gonna stick it together tomorrow and get the hood put back on it. I’m excited to have this thing built
Back to top Go down
TheGreenHornet
TheGreenHornet

2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Murray widebody build   Murray widebody build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 3rd 2019, 10:01 pm

Last update of the evening: a legitimate kill switch has been installed and wired. A proper choke has been installed, as well as a pushbutton start. The plans for the exhaust have been laid out and will come together tomorrow, as well as the materials to complete the electrical system. A bull bar is also in the tentative plans. More updates and pictures to come tomorrow
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist

PostSubject: Re: Murray widebody build   Murray widebody build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 6th 2019, 4:40 pm

First drive with the new exhaust. Ran true duals out the right side footboard. Sounds pretty good, lot deeper than I thought it would. Also in the video, @TheGreenHornet’s grandpa, who helped us build his MTD, my CQ, and now this Murray. Not sure exactly what we will call it but for now I guess it’s just the Murray
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Murray widebody build   Murray widebody build - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Murray widebody build
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2