All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

John Deere 214 utility / engine swap how to

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bio Hazardra
Bio Hazardra

swap - John Deere 214 utility / engine swap how to Empty
PostSubject: John Deere 214 utility / engine swap how to   swap - John Deere 214 utility / engine swap how to Icon_minitimeSeptember 17th 2017, 10:05 am

So my JD 214 sat around for a long while after I got it, waiting for an engine to put in her. I kinda wanted to keep the mower deck and make a all-round mower/garden tractor out of her but i figured trying to remount the clutch setup on a newer type of engine would be to difficult, plus the mower deck wasnt in the best of shape so I sold it. Then I was given two old leaf vacs: one has a OHV Intek 6.25 engine, the other was a commercial grade Billy Goat brand self propelled with a Peerless 700 chain driven back to a lawn tractor chain drive type differential like those found on Murray, Craftsman, and other brands of RERs. But the best thing is that it had a Honda GX240 8hp on it. So obviously the honda went into the John Deere Smile

The Peerless is going into my Snapper walk behind mower though, but I have plans for the differential.

The John Deere had the newer style 2 piece engine cradle which offered some difficulty to mount the Honda. So what I did was cut the frame around where the Honda mounted from the vac frame and welded it to the mounts. since they are rubber mounted to reduce vibration i stuck wrenches under them to keep them straight as i sat in the mounting plate. I also went this route because at the time I didnt have any plate steel to cut out a mount. (now i do lol) The pulley is the original, kept on with a bolt into the crankshaft and a spring. the variator works properly, but when the clutch is pushed in you have to wait a few seconds for the belt to stop turning which is no problem. the hood KINDA fits on it, its literally just sitting there atm. if i was jolting around roughly it might would come off otherwise i think it would stay there easily enough. i would like to get new tires sometime but idk yet. front tires have tubes in them now but the tires are really shot but ill run them till they blow lol.
it is pull start only, the choke and kill switch are still controlled on the engine. i want to move a kill switch to the dash sometime

I didnt have the original seat so i took off the seat spring things and modified a LT155 seat mount (all plastic) and mounted the LT155 seat to it directly to the fender pan. the seat can barely be lifted up due to how its mounted. if you want to see how i did that, just ask ill take some pics. i have plans for the seat springs and i know where i can get a couple metal pan seats sometime soon if i need them Wink

pictured is my homemade 4x5 trailer. i could make a thread on that too if anyone is interested. i made one on MyTractorForum so i could just link that as well. just ask Smile

so, the pictures can tell the rest  Very Happy
**THE VIDEO IN MY SIG IS OF THIS TRACTOR**

swap - John Deere 214 utility / engine swap how to 08141712
swap - John Deere 214 utility / engine swap how to 08141710
swap - John Deere 214 utility / engine swap how to 08191710
swap - John Deere 214 utility / engine swap how to 08141711
Back to top Go down

John Deere 214 utility / engine swap how to
Page 1 of 1