All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog inCountdown Timer
Swing by the Chatroom anytime! Chat events held every Saturday, 8pm EST - whenever!
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum!
Account activations are on HOLD!
ATLTF sticker shipments will resume soon! View them here, and keep up to date!
The forum is getting a minor face-lift. We hope you like it. Details here: Facelifting the Forum

Share | 

Greetings from New York?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Crazy_Carl
Grand Master
Grand Master

Forum Rep : 86

PostSubject: Greetings from New York?   Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:59 pm

Hi my name is Carl.  I'm actually from the beautiful finger lakes region in upstate New York which is more agricultural and has wonderful places to romp.

At my full time job I build machines that use Ultra-violet light to kill bacteria in cold pressed juices such as apple cider.  I work on the building and our fleet of trucks for that company as well.  On the side I do a lot of handyman work for friends including plumbing, electrical, some carpentry and a lot of small engine repair.

I have a diverse work history including working on those UV machines most of my life, working on overhead cranes for 5 years, and working in a machine tool shop for a year.  The fabrication, mechanical, and electrical skills that I've developed over my lifetime have come in handy when it comes to working on my mud mowers which I will post in the project threads.

The first ever tractor I ever had as a young teenager was a Jacobsen that that I believe had a 8hp briggs with a 3 speed Tecumseh transaxle.  My dad and I replaced the stripped gears in the transaxle, put 22" knobby tires on it with a slight body lift for the fender to clear the tires.  I loved pulling my friends behind it in a wagon and towing my younger brother in a sled towed behind it in the winter time. I loved that tractor up until I got older, bought a 4 wheeler, and unfortunately scrapped it but my dad still has the transaxle laying around I believe.

When I was 18 I removed the deck from my 1983 wheelhorse C-125 equipped with ag tires and wheelweights and wanted see how it did in some mud at my dad's hobby farm.  It handled great, but ultimately it got stuck in the wet field, then I got my Polaris sportsman 800 stuck trying to pull that out, my dad's ford 1710 tractor stuck trying to pull that out and almost got my 2006 F-150 stuck trying to pull that out too.  I still have that C-125 to this date and mow my lawn with it every week.  I did fab up a really handy 5-gallon bucket mount for it which I should post some time.

When I was about 20 I had a small simplicity with an 8hp briggs and a 5 speed transaxle that I put 22" knobby tires on the rear, knobby tires on the front, upgraded headlights and taillights, custom grill, and a mild pulley swap.  It ran okay in the snow.  I did end up doing a wheelie and flipping this tractor over backwards.  Ultimately I wasn't a fan of that particular simplicity model so I sold it.

Years go by and this past spring I acquired a free 1999 John Deere LT 133 with a wrecked deck and no hood that although it is a hydro I thought it was still a good candidate to become a mud mower.  I have videos on YouTube of that tractor going through thick mud.  That tractor isn't quite finished to my liking yet so there's more to come on that.

Two weeks ago I spotted in the tin pile at the local scrap yard an almost complete 1979 Wheelhorse C-81 that I think will be my best tractor yet.  When I saw that it was an 8 speed I knew right then that it was going home with me.  Sixty dollars and two hours later I had the original kohler 8 horse running great and was driving it around my house with a flat right front tire.  The tractor is currently torn apart right now, but it's not that far from being mud worthy.  

I'm looking forward to posting the two current mud tractor projects I currently have and sharing thoughts, advice, and opinions with everyone.
Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21

Forum Rep : 126

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from New York?   Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:05 pm

Welcome welcome! Can't wait to see some of your builds, especially the C-81. Wheel Horses are cool and very well built machines!

- Toro Rat Rod Tractor Build
        - Ford LT 110 Off-Road Build
        - Craftsman GT 6000 Off-Road/Workhorse Build
        -John Deere 110 Basic Project
Back to top Go down
Crazy_Carl
Grand Master
Grand Master

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from New York?   Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:25 pm

Yeah I’m super stoked about the C-81 too. I didn’t even care about the motor when I bought it because I knew these tractors with 8 speeds are hard to break.
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Grand Master
Grand Master

Forum Rep : 58

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from New York?   Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:16 pm

Looking forward to seeing your builds, welcome!
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
Administrator

Forum Rep : 211

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from New York?   Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:01 pm

Welcome! Glad you have come by! Feel free to post some pictures when you want! Howto for that in my signature if you need!

Forum Administrator ~ Chat Moderator ~ Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page
How To Upload Pictures
ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875, @MightyRaze
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21
Back to top Go down
http://mightyraze.com
Doug
Administrator
Administrator

Forum Rep : 35

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from New York?   Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:04 pm

I like the question mark in your title. Is the Fingerlakes in New York? Good question.

@redlinemotorsportts was from around that region but he doesnt live there anymore.

Welcome to the Forum!

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

2018 Build Off Entry Commissionaire - Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875, @MightyRaze
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21

Back to top Go down
Crazy_Carl
Grand Master
Grand Master

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from New York?   Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:15 pm

When other people from around the country here that I'm from New York they automatically think New York city, so the the joke was supposed to be how can someone from New York want/need/have a place to ride a mud tractor. The finger lakes region is mainly South and East of Rochester. I don't live far from Canandaigua Lake.
Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Forum Rep : 52

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from New York?   Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:33 pm

I lived in New York til I was 13 man! I was around Batavia, right off of Route 20. I went to the 2cyl expo around Canandaigua. I live in Kentucky now. Whenever i say I'm from New York, everybody automatically thinks New York City. Gets annoying after a while lol. Welcome to the forum! Can't wait to see what you build!
Back to top Go down
Crazy_Carl
Grand Master
Grand Master

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from New York?   Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:37 am

I live in Palmyra which isn’t far from Canandaigua at all. I have a ton friends from Canandaigua. My mom actually grew up in Batavia. I have a couple of build topics in the Offroad tractor builds section. One is my JD LT 160 and the other is my wheel horse C-81.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from New York?   

Back to top Go down

Greetings from New York?
Page 1 of 1