All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog inCountdown Timer
Swing by the Chatroom anytime! Next Chat Event - 12/16/2017 @ 8:00pm EST .
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum!
Voting for the 2017 Build-Off has ended! Click Here to view results!
The prize list has been finalized! Check out what's up for grabs by clicking here!
The new 2017 ATLTF stickers are in! View them here, and order yours while they're hot!
We now have a Discord chat server! Contact Doug for an invite link!

Share | 

Craftsman!!! what should I do?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
muckmudd
Apprentice
Apprentice

Forum Rep : 2

PostSubject: Craftsman!!! what should I do?   Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:26 pm

Picked up 2 of these craftsmans for a screaming deal. Only missing a deck on one and front wheels on the other. They are my favourite mowers and I have been looking for them for a while. Only one is at my house right now and I am going to get the other soon. I pretty much did a complete detail on it and now i am trying to get it running. it has a smaller engine but I have no plans for it. I want to keep it pretty stock because I like the look of it. the other one i am planning on using it as a parts mower. I got them both for a trade of just a shovel and a rake. IMO its the best deal I have ever had. What are some minor things I can do to the mower to keep it fairly stock but still do stuff to it?
Also, is this a lt4000?
Back to top Go down
muckmudd
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman!!! what should I do?   Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:27 pm

pictures

Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Master
Master

Forum Rep : 29

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman!!! what should I do?   Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:38 pm

12.5 is a pretty decent engine. plenty for a mild offroader. That's a 28 cubic inch Briggs there, GOOD SNAG!!
Back to top Go down
muckmudd
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman!!! what should I do?   Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:43 pm

@CraftsmanQuad19 wrote:
12.5 is a pretty decent engine. plenty for a mild offroader. That's a 28 cubic inch Briggs there, GOOD SNAG!!
Thanks! ya its not bad I guess, I'm just used to looking at my 19.5 Opposed twin I guess...
what would you do to it? Surprised
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman!!! what should I do?   Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:49 pm

Probably port, eyebrow removal, governor delete, and different carb. if you have one lying around, I think an OHV cam is more aggressive and will work. What transaxle?
Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21
Grand Master
Grand Master

Forum Rep : 79

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman!!! what should I do?   Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:52 pm

Umm.......Hmmmmm.....SUSPENSION!!!

Hahaha, I'm just kidding. For a mild off-roader I'd say the first thing should be better rear tires. Most mods depend on what you plan to do with it.
Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
Master
Master

Forum Rep : 32

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman!!! what should I do?   Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:57 pm

I'd just drive it and see where it goes from there. Driving things is how you break them, fixing them is how you end up modding them to be better lol

And get that battery off the ground. Sitting on the ground like that drains them.
Back to top Go down
muckmudd
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman!!! what should I do?   Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:59 pm

@CraftsmanQuad19 wrote:
Probably port, eyebrow removal, governor delete, and different carb. if you have one lying around, I think an OHV cam is more aggressive and will work. What transaxle?
Just a crappy old spicer, isn't a governor delete dangerous and can blow your engine? i aint got any carbs lying around but the guy said it was having carb problems si it might need a very good clean. there was algae in the carb bowl after all. what is eyebrow removal? never heard of it before. and how to you put a oh cam in a not ohv engine?
Back to top Go down
muckmudd
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman!!! what should I do?   Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:02 pm

@RichieRichOverdrive wrote:
I'd just drive it and see where it goes from there. Driving things is how you break them, fixing them is how you end up modding them to be better lol

And get that battery off the ground. Sitting on the ground like that drains them.
That is the battery it came with. i think its dead but i will try to charge it. how does it drain them by sitting? i am currently in a situation where i share 1 battery with 3 mowers. No
Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21
Grand Master
Grand Master

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman!!! what should I do?   Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:03 pm

All the things CQ mentioned can be great for getting extra power, but to me they are definitely not the first things I would do especially just for a semi-stock mild mod tractor. If you ever find yourself short of power though, get the dye grinder out! Haha.
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman!!! what should I do?   Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:06 pm

The eyebrows are pieces of casting that jut up between the valves and cylinder. An OHV cam will go right in place, we aren't swapping the whole valvetrain lol. The OHV cam will just have more lift. Yes tires and pulley swap are the first things (unless youre AK) but I thought those were too obvious...clearly AK didn't get that memo when he built ALL of his machines....
Back to top Go down
muckmudd
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman!!! what should I do?   Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:09 pm

@CraftsmanQuad19 wrote:
The eyebrows are pieces of casting that jut up between the valves and cylinder. An OHV cam will go right in place, we aren't swapping the whole valvetrain lol. The OHV cam will just have more lift. Yes tires and pulley swap are the first things (unless youre AK) but I thought those were too obvious...clearly AK didn't get that memo when he built ALL of his machines....
More lift on the cam making more fuel get in the cylinder? yes tires and a pulley swap is a good start. Thanks
Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21
Grand Master
Grand Master

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman!!! what should I do?   Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:37 pm

@CraftsmanQuad19 wrote:
Yes tires and pulley swap are the first things (unless youre AK) but I thought those were too obvious...clearly AK didn't get that memo when he built ALL of his machines....

Hey, that was harsh... Gotta have cool suspension and steering stuff...........
Back to top Go down
muckmudd
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman!!! what should I do?   Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:07 am

@AllisKidD21 wrote:
@CraftsmanQuad19 wrote:
Yes tires and pulley swap are the first things (unless youre AK) but I thought those were too obvious...clearly AK didn't get that memo when he built ALL of his machines....

ya but maybe not on this mower. with lawnmower suspension you either go all in or not.
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman!!! what should I do?   Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:09 am

My preference for simplicity and reliability is to run larger tires than you need at a low pressure front and rear. Nice cushy ride. The tread will wear a bit faster on pavement but I think the ride is worth it
Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21
Grand Master
Grand Master

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman!!! what should I do?   Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:52 am

@muckmudd wrote:
@AllisKidD21 wrote:
@CraftsmanQuad19 wrote:

ya but maybe not on this mower. with lawnmower suspension you either go all in or not.

I was talking about my machines........
Back to top Go down
muckmudd
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman!!! what should I do?   Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:54 pm

@CraftsmanQuad19 wrote:
My preference for simplicity and reliability is to run larger tires than you need at a low pressure front and rear. Nice cushy ride. The tread will wear a bit faster on pavement but I think the ride is worth it
yes! tires is pretty much first on the list.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman!!! what should I do?   

Back to top Go down

Craftsman!!! what should I do?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1