All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Build off Idea

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Dave 007

2017 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

build - Build off Idea  Empty
PostSubject: Build off Idea    build - Build off Idea  Icon_minitimeDecember 19th 2017, 2:40 am

Hi everyone

I have an Idea,

How about a build off comp with 3 categories?

#1 original build off rules.
#2 show class Lawn Tractor Build.
#3 Ultimate class where any engine and transmission type can be used.

What do you think?

That would give me an excuse to enter all three then!
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Build off Idea    build - Build off Idea  Icon_minitimeDecember 19th 2017, 9:16 am

I'll chime in a bit,

Those are cool ideas.  I know we have 2367 members in the forums, of which 60% never posted once. While we do have on average 75 members logging in each month only about 15 of us post on a regular basis.

Basically what I am getting around to, is the number of people that would enter each division may widely vary.

Most would enter #1, but maybe say 2-3 in your #2, and maybe 1-2 for your #3.  If we are awarding the top 3 of each, then some categories would be all entrants a winner.  Then if we just did the first place of each, we would leave out the majority of the participants if the majority went in one category.

I think the site was designed around the everyday guys with a cheap mower and some parts lying around.  Building mud mowers and utility tractors with what they had.  I think the guys are trying to keep the competition to where anyone can try, and succeed.

build - Build off Idea  Sig115PROJECTS:
     Marshal ........93 Craftsman GT6000      
     Red Bandit ...72 Wheel Horse Raider 12
     Dirty Rat........77 Sears Suburban
     Bowser..........01 Murray Widebody LT
     Other projects
Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!
build - Build off Idea  Sig214build - Build off Idea  Sig314
Back to top Go down
muckmudd
Established Member
muckmudd
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Build off Idea    build - Build off Idea  Icon_minitimeDecember 19th 2017, 11:58 am

I agree with mighty there isn't enough members. However we could pick a winner for best speedster and best off road mower.
Back to top Go down
Dave 007

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Build off Idea    build - Build off Idea  Icon_minitimeDecember 19th 2017, 11:23 pm

muckmudd wrote:
I agree with mighty there isn't enough members. However we could pick a winner for best speedster and best off road mower.

Yea I understand, My Speedster project was %90 scrap and the motor and other bits my sons got them for me for my birthday. I only get a small pension and make do with what ever is at hand. The reason I had the idea is that I don't have access to the parts here in Australia, like gear box and rear transmission set ups. I have a couple of old motorbikes that I could use the engines, that would be easier to do a build, that's why I thought of a unlimited class because I have a Suzuki gsx 1000 engine I could use.

Also I didn't know that the log on are so low, I think with Facebook most of the groups there are very active, If the ATLTF could be more active on their Facebook page it would get the audience needed, just by adding links from other pages and they could do the same.

I think its just the way of the times and technology is changing so quick.

I run a local community History page on Facebook and I'm getting over 50 thousand likes each year, When we had the web page it almost went silent. Perhaps the ATLTF should consider Facebook as it new base? It would pull in thousands just like Sprockets Garage and many of the other pages simular.

anyhow It was just an idea and now I have a better understanding now. I guess Im excited because I got 2nd place in the build off. anyhow thanks for the feedback. cheers.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Build off Idea    build - Build off Idea  Icon_minitimeDecember 20th 2017, 4:51 pm

We have thought of running multiple categories or contests before, but as Mightyraze said we have a low member turnout.

Unfortunately a lot of people register and get <10 posts never to return, or simply people dont want to deal with the "hassle" or more technological prowess involved with navigating a forum and instead opt for Facebook which is virtually idiot-proof and simple to use.

Forums are a dying medium, but the best way to record a build and keep timeline of progress. Being what we do, its incredibly specific and not really widespread even in the real-world. Facebook has the power of reaching more people faster, but lacks the ability to build threads where people can update their stuff in one place and leave a chronological footprint of their build start to finish.

We have been lucky to keep growing, albeit slowly, but the best way to get your idea to come to fruition is to get more members to warrant something like that. And the best way to do that is word-of-mouth; getting a snowball effect rolling by telling and involving your friends, and their friends, and their friends, and so on. The Facebook page was a way to help accelerate membership growth, but with how their reach algorithim works its almost impossible to even reach people who like the page. That is, unless you shell out money to boost your posts, and unfortunately the Nigerian Prince I have been in contact with hasnt wired me the money yet.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
muckmudd
Established Member
muckmudd
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Build off Idea    build - Build off Idea  Icon_minitimeDecember 20th 2017, 10:02 pm

Yeah for most people forums are a thing of the past because facebook is just at their fingertips and its easy to use. But I 100% agree that forums have the benefit of being able to make a thread and that's what I like, I also really like the chatbox where you can ask questions easily.
Back to top Go down
Dave 007

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Build off Idea    build - Build off Idea  Icon_minitimeDecember 20th 2017, 10:31 pm

muckmudd wrote:
Yeah for most people forums are a thing of the past because facebook is just at their fingertips and its easy to use. But I 100% agree that forums have the benefit of being able to make a thread and that's what I like, I also really like the chatbox where you can ask questions easily.

Yes I understand, over here in OZ the Mower scene is more about racing. There is only about 5 small clubs here and they are a family and friends orientated. Being a dry arid country the mud scene is only about when it floods. Most Aussies are into trail bikes, ATV and 4x4 stuff, there is a big classic car, truck Bike and vintage engine scene. I guess its the size of our country too we only have 24 million compared to the states 340 million. not sure of the population In Canada, I assume its fairly large too.

Australia is close to the same size as the USA so you can imagine the traveling we have to do. Its a 2 hour drive just to go to the shops for me, crazy.

Anyhow Ill keep talking about the forum hopefully it can grow.

Im very happy to be part of the group there is nothing like it here. I have tried to get the local farmers and people in town involved, problem is in my area its the district of the golden fleece and they are totally consumed by sheep and cattle and their crops.
Back to top Go down
muckmudd
Established Member
muckmudd
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Build off Idea    build - Build off Idea  Icon_minitimeDecember 20th 2017, 10:34 pm

canada has 36 M in population but its a bit bigger than Australia obviously. Its hard to find people into this kinda stuff to here in BC. Ontario is where all the fun is.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Build off Idea    build - Build off Idea  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Build off Idea
Page 1 of 1