All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum!
2019 Build Off Underway!

MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator) "2"

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18
AuthorMessage
MightyRaze
Administrator
Administrator

MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator) "2" - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator) "2"   MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator) "2" - Page 18 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 07, 2019 10:42 pm

Looks like a little bit of cleaning there too!  Can't wait for the upgrades! Danceparty
Back to top Go down
http://mightyraze.com
AllisKidD21
AllisKidD21

Forum Rep : 223

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator) "2"   MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator) "2" - Page 18 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 07, 2019 10:48 pm

Thanks. Yeah she needs a good cleanup for sure. Got a nice oil and dirt combo going on, haha.

- Ford LT 110 Off-Road Build
       - Craftsman GT 6000 Off-Road Build
       - John Deere 110 Basic Off-Road Build
       - Allis B-110, 710 & 716 - Wheel Horse 655 - Case 444 - Bolens Versamatic - Cub Cadet 106  - Jacobsen YT 14 -
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
Administrator
MightyRaze

Forum Rep : 419

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator) "2"   MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator) "2" - Page 18 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 07, 2019 11:22 pm

Undercoating. Keeps the rust away!  MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator) "2" - Page 18 2731072446

Li'l Red Murray
Li'l Red 2.0

MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator) "2" - Page 18 Admins10
Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21
AllisKidD21

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator) "2"   MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator) "2" - Page 18 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2019 4:06 pm

Haha, yeah that's one thing for sure.

Anyhow, I thought I'd post an update of the goings on with the pressure lube oppy.

Got it part way torn down and removed the valves, rods, and pistons:

MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator) "2" - Page 18 20191125

Lapped the valves into the seats, they didn't turn out too bad. Then I had to grind the stems a bit to get the clearances within spec.

MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator) "2" - Page 18 20191126

Picture of my sweet homemade spring compressor in action:

MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator) "2" - Page 18 20191127

Hahaha.

One thing I found was some real rough looking rod bearing surfaces, which is quite odd:

MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator) "2" - Page 18 20191128

MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator) "2" - Page 18 20191129

The crank journals have some streaks but no marks or anything:

MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator) "2" - Page 18 20191131

Not sure why the rods are like that, almost looks like oil starvation or something. Pretty rough looking, but there aren't any real bad grooves or any missing material, so I'm gonna clean them up with some 800 and 1000 grit. Should be able to smooth em' out again without wrecking the clearances. I'm gonna polish up the crank journals as well.

More updates to come!

- Allis B-110, 710 & 716 - Wheel Horse 655 - Case 444 - Bolens Versamatic - Cub Cadet 106  - Jacobsen YT 14 -
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
Administrator
MightyRaze

Forum Rep : 419

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator) "2"   MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator) "2" - Page 18 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2019 1:12 am

Rod bearings do look a little scorched. Not so bad that you couldn't re-send it again it looks like?

Li'l Red Murray
Li'l Red 2.0

MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator) "2" - Page 18 Admins10
Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Expert
Expert
prancstaman

Forum Rep : 75

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator) "2"   MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator) "2" - Page 18 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2019 9:09 pm

The rod bearing surface, how ruff they are, looks old to me. I would suggest to remount the caps, and use the finest grit sandpaper you got without oil first, and rub the bearing surface once or twice. To see if there are any high spots. Don't worry about the low spots because they fill with oil and become level with the rest of the surface that is in good condition. Chances are, there are no high spots because they wore down already on the crank, and would be better off to leave alone. Which explains the crank's rod journal marks. But definitely polish the crank rod journals with the shoe lace trick.
Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21
AllisKidD21

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator) "2"   MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator) "2" - Page 18 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2019 9:25 pm

Yeah I was gonna try the shoelace trick with my 1000 grit sandpaper on the crank journals, shouldn't take much as there aren't any actual marks on the crank.

I think the rod bearings will clean up easy enough, I'll see how that goes next week hopefully.

Back to top Go down
TheBeal
Expert
Expert
TheBeal

Forum Rep : 89

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator) "2"   MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator) "2" - Page 18 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:06 pm

Doesnt look much worse than my 20hp. I took some worn out strip of sand paper... it doesnt really take any material off, but it polishes pretty well... I put that to my 20hp crank.

Some racing mower forum, they talk about opening up the hole in the crank for the oil, and chamfering the opening to let oil in there easier. I believe they also put a hole in the cap aswell.

They said the upper rods would tend to starve for oil in racing applications.

Maybe someday Ill get that 20 back together and see if I wrecked it or not. MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator) "2" - Page 18 1098998679
Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21
AllisKidD21

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator) "2"   MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator) "2" - Page 18 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:17 pm

Haha, yeah I remember that engine. Don't forget you're supposed to do a horizontal conversion on that one!!

Yeah I've seen a few different oil mods done on these to help the rod bearings, probably works pretty good. This engine should be fine though since it's a pressure lube model. It delivers oil right to the rods through the crank.

Back to top Go down
TheBeal
Expert
Expert
TheBeal

Forum Rep : 89

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator) "2"   MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator) "2" - Page 18 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:25 pm

Oh right you got one of those fancy units...

Yeah, Ill get around to it sooner or later... MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator) "2" - Page 18 2664539216
Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21
AllisKidD21

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator) "2"   MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator) "2" - Page 18 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:31 pm

Yessir, getting pretty high tech!

I'll be waiting for that conversion to be finished, haha.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator) "2"   MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator) "2" - Page 18 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator) "2"
Page 18 of 18Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18