All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog inCountdown Timer
Swing by the Chatroom anytime! Chat events held every Saturday, 8pm EST - whenever!
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum!
The 2018 Build Off is almost HALF WAY!! Click Here to view 2017 results!
ATLTF sticker shipments will resume soon! View them here, and keep up to date!
The forum is getting a minor face-lift. We hope you like it. Details here: Facelifting the Forum

Share | 

Mightyraze's Kal-El [2018 Build-Off Entry]

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 27, 28, 29
AuthorMessage
MightyRaze
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Mightyraze's Kal-El [2018 Build-Off Entry]    Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:13 pm

I have it pretty much worked out now.  I just need to bolt it back together and I am going to fab up a new front bumper.  It was good, but I was not happy with the "basket" around the grille.  The new one I have designed up will eliminate that basket for the shocks.  I chose this tractor because I like the looks of it... I hate covering it all up!

As for the steering slop, it was due to the universal I replaced the rag joint with.  Also, the plastic bushings in the gears was worn down.  I was going to make a sort of steering brace but that would only take out a little slop.  

My biggest issue right now would be to find some 4 inch angle to fab up the new sub-structure for the suspension which will no longer be straight up and down. Also for the bumper. I may be able to get away with 3 inch which is easy to find.
Back to top Go down
http://mightyraze.com
Crazy_Carl
Grand Master
Grand Master

Forum Rep : 68

PostSubject: Re: Mightyraze's Kal-El [2018 Build-Off Entry]    Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:44 pm

Well between speedymetals, online metals, and mcmaster carr I'm sure you can find something
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
Administrator

Forum Rep : 179

PostSubject: Re: Mightyraze's Kal-El [2018 Build-Off Entry]    Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:48 pm

The Lowes here near my house has a good supply of metals and they keep it in stock.  Lots of farmers around that use it.  One good thing about being in a farming area out here.  Way better than the TSC.  The TSC metals also seem to be thinner and melt easy on welding. Oh, one more thing added to that geometry thing.  I realized my panhard bar was in the wrong.  It was not centered well.  I'm sure that messed with some flexing.

(Kal-El) 1982 Murray GT. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2-39002 . . . [2018 Entry]
Progress:  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
           0              |              50             |             100

Murray CCT (KAL prebuild)
Sasquatch II . [2017 Finalist]
Li'l Red Murray

Arrow How To Upload Pictures
Back to top Go down
SebastianAlbrecht
Veteran
Veteran

Forum Rep : 16

PostSubject: Re: Mightyraze's Kal-El [2018 Build-Off Entry]    Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:10 am

Hope you can fix Kal EL til the build off ends.

(I have some problems with my MTD too, trying to finish it, and 1 hour before I want to call it done, something breaks, or makes problems.)
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Mightyraze's Kal-El [2018 Build-Off Entry]    Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:11 am

Man I hate that.... In my case a few weeks ago was... I worked all day just to realize my thoughts all day was wrong and I had to tear it all back apart.

This time it's working well.  I have the monolink attached again, I just don't have the front side attached yet.

This will probably be the last pic between now and finish.

(Kal-El) 1982 Murray GT. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2-39002 . . . [2018 Entry]

Li'l Red Murray

Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Mightyraze's Kal-El [2018 Build-Off Entry]    Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:35 pm

Little welding practice.  I started off worrying about heat penetration, then working with the molten puddle and such... still learning and getting the feel for things.  This is my latest playing around!

Li'l Red Murray

Back to top Go down
Crazy_Carl
Grand Master
Grand Master

Forum Rep : 68

PostSubject: Re: Mightyraze's Kal-El [2018 Build-Off Entry]    Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:43 pm

Those are good looking welds.  Stick right? how's the heat penetration on the backside?
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Mightyraze's Kal-El [2018 Build-Off Entry]    Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:01 pm

Getting some discoloration on the back side.  This was 1/8th  steel.  Yes stick.

Li'l Red Murray

Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Master
Master

Forum Rep : 37

PostSubject: Re: Mightyraze's Kal-El [2018 Build-Off Entry]    Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:09 pm

Discoloration on the back side is good, shows how deep the puddle was and the color matters. Should be blue, not black. Black would be a cooler temp with not enough of penetration.
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Mightyraze's Kal-El [2018 Build-Off Entry]    Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:26 pm

Excellent, most of them are blue/grey.  Don't see any black ones.  I already had started polishing up the original set.  Now the trick for me is to be more consistent each time.

Li'l Red Murray

Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Master
Master

Forum Rep : 37

PostSubject: Re: Mightyraze's Kal-El [2018 Build-Off Entry]    Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:52 pm

Blue/grey is a good color on the back side. Yup, the speed is the hardest part on stick, well for me anyways. I lean the rod backwards of the direction I'm going to push the puddle back to get the ripples needed (laying dimes) It's hard for me because you need to have the tip that is welding to do tiny circles while the rod is getting shorter. Need alot of amps to, just to start the weld or the rod gets stuck on the part and shorts out the welder. The parts you did in the pic, what was the amps at? I would thing you would need at least about 100 amps for that, for a clean easy start and good penetration.
Back to top Go down
mrshaft696
Skilled
Skilled

Forum Rep : 12

PostSubject: Re: Mightyraze's Kal-El [2018 Build-Off Entry]    Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:33 am

wow big reset, but I can relate..you have plenty of time!
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Mightyraze's Kal-El [2018 Build-Off Entry]    Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:07 am

I'm figuring that I need this done by Halloween.  That give me somewhere in NOV to shoot a video and dealing with all the busyness that comes with NOV.  I figure I have 48 days free to get it done.  Then on top of that, we have had so much rain as of late.  Where I was going to film my video is under 10 feet of water and will more than likely be underwater for the next few months so I will have to film at a new location.  

Li'l Red Murray

Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Mightyraze's Kal-El [2018 Build-Off Entry]    Yesterday at 6:57 pm

All new parts are created and painted.  Redo some wiring tomorrow and hopefully Kal will be ready to ride again!

Danceparty

I just need to figure out my nilight... or maybe put the second on too.

Li'l Red Murray

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mightyraze's Kal-El [2018 Build-Off Entry]    

Back to top Go down

Mightyraze's Kal-El [2018 Build-Off Entry]