All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog inCountdown Timer
Swing by the Chatroom anytime! Chat events held every Saturday, 8pm EST - whenever!
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum!
Account activations are on HOLD!
ATLTF sticker shipments will resume soon! View them here, and keep up to date!
The forum is getting a minor face-lift. We hope you like it. Details here: Facelifting the Forum

Share | 

100$ Dation 16HP MTD 990

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
AuthorMessage
RockeyDA
Skilled
Skilled

PostSubject: Re: 100$ Dation 16HP MTD 990   Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:01 am

@RichieRichOverdrive wrote:
I cannot stress this enough. The flywheel key is nothing more than an alignment tool. It does not stop the flywheel from turning. It's not supposed to.

The thing stopping the flywheel from turning is the torque on the flywheel nut. If the flywheel nut is not properly torqued, then the flywheel will spin and shear the key.

If you put a steel key on that crank you will tear the keyway out of that crank, and potentially crack the flywheel as well.

its been dealt with and wont be a problem any more. the motors never ran better. i do on the other hand need to see if i can find a new belt for the startor. or remove the starter and make it were i can pull start, witch i would like more. well id really like both.
Back to top Go down
Double W Cross Ranch
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Forum Rep : 23

PostSubject: Re: 100$ Dation 16HP MTD 990   Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:07 am

It won't be a problem until the welds break because you can't weld cast iron.
Back to top Go down
https://themagazineishalff.wixsite.com/website
AllisKidD21

Forum Rep : 136

PostSubject: Re: 100$ Dation 16HP MTD 990   Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:27 am

@RichieRichOverdrive wrote:
I cannot stress this enough. The flywheel key is nothing more than an alignment tool. It does not stop the flywheel from turning. It's not supposed to.

The thing stopping the flywheel from turning is the torque on the flywheel nut. If the flywheel nut is not properly torqued, then the flywheel will spin and shear the key.

If you put a steel key on that crank you will tear the keyway out of that crank, and potentially crack the flywheel as well.

I could not agree more with this post....

- Toro Rat Rod Tractor Build
        - Ford LT 110 Off-Road Build
        - Craftsman GT 6000 Off-Road/Workhorse Build
        -John Deere 110 Basic Project
Back to top Go down
SebastianAlbrecht
Master
Master

Forum Rep : 25

PostSubject: Re: 100$ Dation 16HP MTD 990   Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:16 am

@RockeyDA wrote:

its been dealt with and wont be a problem any more. the motors never ran better. i do on the other hand need to see if i can find a new belt for the startor. or remove the starter and make it were i can pull start, witch i would like more. well id really like both.

Why not adding a 2nd Pulley so U can pull and electric start it?? On the side of the Driveshaft should be some space I guess
Back to top Go down
Double W Cross Ranch
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Forum Rep : 23

PostSubject: Re: 100$ Dation 16HP MTD 990   Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:30 pm

@SebastianAlbrecht wrote:
@RockeyDA wrote:

Why not adding a 2nd Pulley so U can pull and electric start it?? On the side of the Driveshaft should be some space I guess
I'm sure he can remove the belt on the starter generator and pull start off of that if he needs to do so.
Back to top Go down
https://themagazineishalff.wixsite.com/website
SebastianAlbrecht
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: 100$ Dation 16HP MTD 990   Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:13 am

@Double W Cross Ranch wrote:
@RockeyDA wrote:

I'm sure he can remove the belt on the starter generator and pull start off of that if he needs to do so.

I wouldn't pull the belt all the time when I need to pull start it..............
too lazy for lol
Back to top Go down
RockeyDA
Skilled
Skilled

Forum Rep : 11

PostSubject: Re: 100$ Dation 16HP MTD 990   Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:10 pm

It won't be a problem until the welds break because you can't weld cast iron.

if i cant weld cast iron then how come my welded on fins have not blown off the fly wheel yet? i mean if i cant weld cast iron then theirs nothing to hold them on right? i think you just want things to break because i did not go about it the "proper" way.

im always going to be doing what works no matter how ghetto.
Back to top Go down
RockeyDA
Skilled
Skilled

PostSubject: Re: 100$ Dation 16HP MTD 990   Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:12 pm

@RockeyDA wrote:

the problem is that lovely grill blocks my acsses. i was thinking of cutting a slit in the pully on the drive shaft and seeing if i can pull start with that, if not then replacing with bigger pully.
Back to top Go down
SebastianAlbrecht
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: 100$ Dation 16HP MTD 990   Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:27 am

@RockeyDA wrote:

the problem is that lovely grill blocks my acsses. i was thinking of cutting a slit in the pully on the drive shaft and seeing if i can pull start with that, if not then replacing with bigger pully.

then save up for a 10HP Diesel and swap it in, it has a recoil and electric start and is not too expensive
Back to top Go down
RockeyDA
Skilled
Skilled

PostSubject: Re: 100$ Dation 16HP MTD 990   Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:39 am

thoes things are like 400$ for a cheepo chinese one. why would i change motors anyways? its not like this one is bogging down and feels like i needs more power.
Back to top Go down
RockeyDA
Skilled
Skilled

PostSubject: Re: 100$ Dation 16HP MTD 990   Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:46 am

anyways, if this motor gets beyond easy reapir, im going to try and get a new connecting rod and piston rings for that 12hp cast iron and BAM can still even use same starter.... witch i need to modify the bracket mines on, or add a tensioner as the blt has stretched to far.
Back to top Go down
RockeyDA
Skilled
Skilled

PostSubject: Re: 100$ Dation 16HP MTD 990   Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:49 am

to every one, i got some epic plans for this tractor, come summer time. i want to install a car ATL under the hood, i plan on having 0AWG running to a bus bar near the hitch plate. im going to make the fenders oversized so i can install speakers in them  i already have. i got a head unit i want to install, and im putting my 15" 700wrms alpne on the trailer i plan on expending.

my tractor is gonna have a better sound system than any one could throw together spending a grand at walmart. using mostly what i have. might need diffrent head unit, will need more ply wood, more brace material, more sheat metal, and possible a different head unit if i dont like this one.

its the slowest tractor, might as well make it the funest.
Back to top Go down
SebastianAlbrecht
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: 100$ Dation 16HP MTD 990   Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:55 am

OHHH!!! I LOVE THE PLAN WITH THE SOUND SYSTEM!!

I might toss a car radio and some speakers into the Widebody or Dynamark.... but need a QUIET EXHAUST mode then to disengage the STRAIGHT PIPES when I wanna listen music on the mower LOL
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 100$ Dation 16HP MTD 990   

Back to top Go down

100$ Dation 16HP MTD 990
Page 6 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6