All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog inCountdown Timer
Swing by the Chatroom anytime! Chat events held every Saturday, 8pm EST - whenever!
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum!
The 2018 Build Off is almost HALF WAY!! Click Here to view 2017 results!
ATLTF sticker shipments will resume soon! View them here, and keep up to date!
The forum is getting a minor face-lift. We hope you like it. Details here: Facelifting the Forum

Share | 

GasketCase's SEARS Swamper LT [2018 Build-Off Entry]

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
AuthorMessage
MightyRaze
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: GasketCase's SEARS Swamper LT [2018 Build-Off Entry]    Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:27 pm

LOL, oppys sound awesome.... might get you some ear protection.  After a while it does make your head hurt.  Smile
Back to top Go down
http://mightyraze.com
GasketCase
Apprentice
Apprentice

Forum Rep : 4

PostSubject: Re: GasketCase's SEARS Swamper LT [2018 Build-Off Entry]    Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:49 am

@MightyRaze you ain't kidding on the ear protection Haha .

Also got a question for you or anyone else that knows  oppys ....  This thing knocks at idle. Ive read that this is normal with them. Is this true?

Cause it runs great and no excessive metal in the oil.  Just scares the hell outta me lol! so I just keep a high idle on it.
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
Administrator

Forum Rep : 178

PostSubject: Re: GasketCase's SEARS Swamper LT [2018 Build-Off Entry]    Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:04 am

I have one that knocks a little like a diesel, but my others do not.  I guess it is a matter of how loud?  If it runs good go for it till she dies.  Maybe idle it up a hair?  Also what kind of OIL you using?  In FL, I would probably run SAE 30 all year round.

(Kal-El) 1982 Murray GT. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2-39002 . . . [2018 Entry]
Progress:  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
           0              |              50             |             100

Murray CCT (KAL prebuild)
Sasquatch II . [2017 Finalist]
Li'l Red Murray

Arrow How To Upload Pictures
Back to top Go down
http://mightyraze.com
mrshaft696
Skilled
Skilled

Forum Rep : 12

PostSubject: Re: GasketCase's SEARS Swamper LT [2018 Build-Off Entry]    Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:22 am

@GasketCase wrote:
@MightyRaze you ain't kidding on the ear protection Haha .

Also got a question for you or anyone else that knows  oppys ....  This thing knocks at idle. Ive read that this is normal with them. Is this true?

Cause it runs great and no excessive metal in the oil.  Just scares the hell outta me lol! so I just keep a high idle on it.

Both of the ones I have run really smooth actually, especially at a low idle.
Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Master
Master

Forum Rep : 37

PostSubject: Re: GasketCase's SEARS Swamper LT [2018 Build-Off Entry]    Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:18 pm

Might be the valve lash you are hearing? I clearance my valves on a couple of flatties at around .005 to .003 and got a tick from it but motors run great. Can only hear the tick at idle.
Back to top Go down
Crazy_Carl
Grand Master
Grand Master

Forum Rep : 66

PostSubject: Re: GasketCase's SEARS Swamper LT [2018 Build-Off Entry]    Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:02 pm

Cool exhuast.  Hopefully your hearing a tic and not a knock.  It's cool to see this build off tractor really come together here.
Back to top Go down
GasketCase
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: GasketCase's SEARS Swamper LT [2018 Build-Off Entry]    Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:28 pm

I do the Ol' screwdriver trick to the block and heads. it definitely sounds like a knock but Ive even opened the back of the block and checked the Rod caps . Wierd oh well.  If she blows before the end of competition, I'll put my KOHLER 15 HP single on there.  This oppy twin is from 1994 and the KOHLER I believe off the top of my head is a 97 .

@MightyRaze indeed I am running sae 30 . Believe me it's pretty miserable down here on the tampa bay.  Between the monsoons of rain we been having , then the days without rain is just terrible at 97 degrees with 100 percent humidity.  Haha.

@Crazy_Carl thanks man I appreciate the support and help as well.
Back to top Go down
GasketCase
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: GasketCase's SEARS Swamper LT [2018 Build-Off Entry]    Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:26 pm

Found some time to mount the LED bar. Also I  was rummaging through my unneccessarily large collection of random parts that I have and found a push mower exhaust shield. Wish it was perfect as is but I ended up cutting so it was straight. Just gotta paint it the swampy green color lol . Take a look .

Back to top Go down
Crazy_Carl
Grand Master
Grand Master

Forum Rep : 66

PostSubject: Re: GasketCase's SEARS Swamper LT [2018 Build-Off Entry]    Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:06 pm

The heat shield is a nice touch.

I think you should tear the oppy down at least to diagnose it. There’s plenty of time left and push come to shove you could stuff the Kohler in there and join the Kohler club.
Back to top Go down
GasketCase
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: GasketCase's SEARS Swamper LT [2018 Build-Off Entry]    Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:20 pm

@Crazy_Carl read your post this morning and decided to look a little deeper into the noise.

I ran the engine for not even 3 minutes and found the knock is more noticeable from the left cylinder head than the right when listening from the combustion chamber or top of head (Whichever one puts the picture in your head lol) .

Now when I listen along the bottom of the block the noise is the same. I stopped at this point to start build pulley system.

I think I'm going to drain her and pull the inspection plate off the back of the block and check the crank journals and rod journals tomorrow.

UPDATE:

Found a piece of steel that I found interesting to use for a double pulley clutch.  Again this is an experiment since the first one I built was on my build and I still had a bit of slippage and the pulleys were further from eachother.

So now i built this one

Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21

Forum Rep : 116

PostSubject: Re: GasketCase's SEARS Swamper LT [2018 Build-Off Entry]    Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:30 pm

Nice looking clutch! About the noise, your description almost sounds a bit like a worn out bore (piston slap) on the one cylinder. Did you ever try a compression test on 'er?

- Toro Rat Rod Tractor Build
        - Ford LT 110 Off-Road Build
        - Craftsman GT 6000 Off-Road/Workhorse Build
        -John Deere 110 Basic Project
Back to top Go down
GasketCase
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: GasketCase's SEARS Swamper LT [2018 Build-Off Entry]    Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:07 pm

@AllisKidD21 You beat me to it . I was gonna edit my post before anyone saw it  haha

But like you were saying on the compression test. I literally been staring at this motor in my garage and it dawned on me. I don't even why i havent done it when i have damn compression tester lol I'm gonna check it in the morning. Or maybe now that I'm curious

Could possibly be a worn out wrist pin or worn out wrist pin journals on the piston head or connecting rod. I'm really hoping it's all Good.

If it goes turns out to be a out of round cylinder , I'll just search for another.  If not ill use single kohler (15 hp pressure lube ) while im looking for another engine  cause the big twin honestly looks cool as hell on this small mower

Better not of jinxed me now @AllisKidD21 haha
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GasketCase's SEARS Swamper LT [2018 Build-Off Entry]    

Back to top Go down

GasketCase's SEARS Swamper LT [2018 Build-Off Entry]
Page 7 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7