All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog inCountdown Timer
Swing by the Chatroom anytime! Chat events held every Saturday, 8pm EST - whenever!
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum!
Account activations are on HOLD!
ATLTF sticker shipments will resume soon! View them here, and keep up to date!
The forum is getting a minor face-lift. We hope you like it. Details here: Facelifting the Forum

Share | 

CraftsmanQuad Mark II

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
prancstaman
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: CraftsmanQuad Mark II   Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:16 pm

Yes, you can weld stainless steel with your flux core mig with the mild steel wire. They are the same metal, only stainless steel has nickle added to the mix to make it stainless steel. Stainless steel exhaust pipe, when made, they add only a little nickle to the steel, so not that resistant to rust. When they make stainless steel, it is done by a certain percentage of nickle added to the steel. So, like silverware (spoons and forks) has the highest amount of nickle (20% nickle) then the rest is steel. Exhaust pipe that is stainless steel has I think 5% nickle mixed in the steel so it doesn't rust too bad or quick. Welding stainless steel exhaust pipe would be, the welds will rust and the pipe would stay little to no rust on it. The welds will rust real bad first (being raw mild steel) so painting the welds would be ideal to combat the rust.

If you want to ever test stainless steel to see how much nickle is in it, You use a magnet. Compare how strong the magnet sticks to mild steel first, then put the magnet on the stainless steel and see how strong the magnet sticks to it. A light percentage of nickle means the magnet will have almost the same grip pull off compared to pulling it off mild steel, being there is alot of steel in the mix. Then test a fork or spoon which is the highest grade of stainless steel and the magnet will not even stick to it, you would feel the magnet very lightly try to stick to the silverware, since there is a very high nickle content.
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Grand Master
Grand Master

Forum Rep : 58

PostSubject: Re: CraftsmanQuad Mark II   Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:29 pm

Ah, very interesting. Honestly at first I thought it was titanium or something because it is in very good shape. Almost looks new
Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Master
Master

Forum Rep : 49

PostSubject: Re: CraftsmanQuad Mark II   Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:34 pm

The ends of the muffler are probably aluminum while the center wrap of the muffler could be stainless steel.
Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Forum Rep : 52

PostSubject: Re: CraftsmanQuad Mark II   Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:25 pm

I've not had a problem mig welding a stainless nut to cast iron. Just had to preheat it lol.
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Grand Master
Grand Master

PostSubject: Re: CraftsmanQuad Mark II   Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:46 am

Just been clearing out the garage and getting some more money together lately. Making some big tool investments. Got into the Milwaukee m18 cordless platform, picked up a better compressor, and some more pneumatic tools. I’m feeling very confident about this tractor being entered in the build off and being complete.

I actually finished the original CQ to the standards of the buildoff, but I’m really not happy with it and it is nowhere near where a lot of the entries are. Man some of those builds are on another level!

Not sure if I mentioned this, but I have an oversized AYP fuel tank that came off the weed eater I parted out several years ago. That will be going on so I don’t pull a Stretch! Razz lol!

I kinda disappeared the last couple months, just been focusing on school, football, and work. I’ll be back in a little bit more but I don’t see myself being quite as active as I used to be, just too much goin on.

In the meantime, I’ll keep making space in the garage, acquiring currency, and investing in some more tools that I can’t believe I used to live without lol
Back to top Go down
Creepycrawler
Skilled
Skilled

Forum Rep : 9

PostSubject: Re: CraftsmanQuad Mark II   Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:30 pm

I am excited to see this build come together, and yea every dollar Ive ever spent on tools was a dollar well spent, its amazing how much nicer good tools make working on stuff
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Grand Master
Grand Master

PostSubject: Re: CraftsmanQuad Mark II   Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:49 pm

I got a couple other ideas too. Gonna make a support under the hood and the dash like redzz02 did on his build. I like that look much better than the big hoop on the bumper of the mowron rigs. Functional, but not visually appealing imo
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Grand Master
Grand Master

PostSubject: Re: CraftsmanQuad Mark II   Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:19 pm

Got the engine pulled out tonight. Mainly just to get it out of the garage lol. Whole engine reeks of mouse pee
Back to top Go down
SebastianAlbrecht
Veteran
Veteran

Forum Rep : 20

PostSubject: Re: CraftsmanQuad Mark II   Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:16 pm

@CraftsmanQuad19 wrote:
Here are more pics as promised. My exhaust I got, the current hood, as well as the Murray hood. The issues I have with the Murray hood are that it has the hole for the gas cap, but isn’t centered, and the hole for the exhaust (had a briggs single) in the side of the grille.

Found your Thread a bit late LOL
I do like your Build! I would go for the Morray Hood that's right next to this hood, they look very nice and should barely fit a Vanguard twin I measured.
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Grand Master
Grand Master

PostSubject: Re: CraftsmanQuad Mark II   Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:29 pm

I think for now I’m gonna run the factory craftsman hood. At least until the rest of the tractor is sorted out. 820, front axle/suspension, shifter, belts, pulleys, frame reinforcements, etc. the hood is an easy final touch lol
Back to top Go down
redzz02
Sponsor
Sponsor

Forum Rep : 8

PostSubject: Re: CraftsmanQuad Mark II   Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:59 pm

@CraftsmanQuad19 i really hope you stick to your guns and finish this one, hopefully you have it built by time haspin comes around, would love to see itfinished in person and hopefully no swapping parts at haspin this time lol

https://www.youtube.com/user/redzz02
https://www.facebook.com/Espyvillemudders
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Grand Master
Grand Master

PostSubject: Re: CraftsmanQuad Mark II   Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:54 am

Hey it was only a tire! @redzz02
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Grand Master
Grand Master

PostSubject: Re: CraftsmanQuad Mark II   Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:04 pm

Really small update, but I got the stock pulley off the 820. Usually I have to resort to cutting them off but I was able to get it off without damaging it with just a little heat.

Small update, but progress is progress
Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Forum Rep : 52

PostSubject: Re: CraftsmanQuad Mark II   Yesterday at 4:17 am

Your 820 input turned down to 5/8" like most Murray ones are?
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Grand Master
Grand Master

PostSubject: Re: CraftsmanQuad Mark II   Yesterday at 9:04 am

I’ll have to measure when I head back down there. Out of town for the weekend. I suppose I could just get a craftsman input shaft and the bearings that go with it if I want the bigger one. I don’t see myself having an issue with 5/8 though
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CraftsmanQuad Mark II   

Back to top Go down

CraftsmanQuad Mark II
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2