All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog inCountdown Timer
Swing by the Chatroom anytime! Chat events held every Saturday, 8pm EST - whenever!
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum!
The 2018 Build Off is Almost Over!! Click Here to view 2017 results!
ATLTF sticker shipments will resume soon! View them here, and keep up to date!
The forum is getting a minor face-lift. We hope you like it. Details here: Facelifting the Forum

Share | 

The never ending Story of fixing Mowing Murray

Go down 
AuthorMessage
SebastianAlbrecht
Veteran
Veteran

Forum Rep : 20

PostSubject: The never ending Story of fixing Mowing Murray   Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:14 am

Just thought I make a topic about the problems mower.

Mowing Murray is our Murray 12,5 I/C 40 Pan Frame Mower Built 1992. we have it since over 10 years,  (there are existing Pics where I was a baby with my plastic mower near the Murray).

The problems began 3 years ago or so. U selected your gear, and it skipped outta the gear sometimes, or drove, stopped, drove,.. . I and Dad pulled the Peerless 930, and replaced the worn shift keys. he threw in the old bentonite Grease again, and added some Oil. Then he had some trouble putting it back together, and used the bolts, tightening them carefully to close it again. Since then it had half way of the axle hard to spin, other half very hard. I Pulled the Trans again, cuz the belt fell off if U drove in gear, higher than 4th. I replaced the bentonite junk with 000 Transmission grease and sealed it up, and I gut it to closing. It spinned easier, but still had the harder to spin point. U couldn't drive uphill 6th gear, without losing the belt. So I pulled the Trans again, and opened up the 930 I bought as a spare for cheap, which was impossible to spin. I figured out dad warped the lower case half from the bolts tightening stuff, and replaced the lower case half with the 1 of the spare 930. It was now easy to turn, but U couldn't begin driving in 6h gear, without losing the belt. 4th without load, idle, carefully is possible. The Engine also made some trouble. The electric start doesn't work, but the solnoid works, and jumping the starter works. Probably a rusty connector somewhere. The Crankcase also flooded with gas, and luckily I checked the oil before firing it up. I put in a gas shutoff valve. New Oil too. Then the Engine smoked like hell the first 3 mins after firing it up,burning oil. Also when it runs, it pukes gas outa the carb into the air filter, causing it to run like on choke under load, no power. Probablathe Valves, cuz I overhauled the carb, and no change. Then I just decided to pull the Engine, it still has good compression, and swapping on the replacement 10,5HP flathead Briggs Dad bought 7 years ago for it. Now I pulled the Transaxle again, cuz I had tons of play in the shifting linkage, and the rear pulley wobbles. I put the rear pulley off Mud Murray on, and the belt off Mud Muray too, cuz the belt in this mower was pretty chewed up and worn. Fixed the play too. And I welded the lift lever (it was cracked 3/4 way, and I broke it off last time)

IDK where I always get the motivation, fixing that thing again and again,.....
We have the Bagger for it, and a 2nd deck, and a 42" snowblower too. And he do'nt wants to let it go. But broken it only hinders me, so I just NEED to fix that                        thing!
Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Forum Rep : 56

PostSubject: Re: The never ending Story of fixing Mowing Murray   Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:10 am

"Murrays are the best"
Back to top Go down
SebastianAlbrecht
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: The never ending Story of fixing Mowing Murray   Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:59 pm

@RichieRichOverdrive wrote:
"Murrays are the best"

The best I can get in this country!

he also never maintaint it, 6th gear clutch dumps, mowing hedge clippings, close to flip it by mowing 45° angled areas, mowing tall stuff 5th gear 2nd height,... oil changed every 6 years or so,...

Failure caused during missing maintenance. That could also happen with every AYP too.
Back to top Go down
Buck
Apprentice
Apprentice

Forum Rep : 5

PostSubject: Re: The never ending Story of fixing Mowing Murray   Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:27 pm

I have the same problem with my 930 kicks in and out of gear at 30mph, took it all apart and cant find anything wrong
Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Forum Rep : 56

PostSubject: Re: The never ending Story of fixing Mowing Murray   Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:18 pm

Sounds like the regular stuff i do with my Snapper LT16
Back to top Go down
SebastianAlbrecht
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: The never ending Story of fixing Mowing Murray   Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:20 pm

@Buck wrote:
I have the same problem with my 930 kicks in and out of gear at 30mph, took it all apart and cant find anything wrong

On Dads the shift keys were a bit worn. But I wouldn't say that was the problem. Cuz smtms it kicks outta 6th still after replacing the shift keys.
Back to top Go down
SebastianAlbrecht
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: The never ending Story of fixing Mowing Murray   Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:13 am

I pulled the wires from their connections, wire wheeled them, a bit of terminal grease, and the Electric start worked again!

Then I tried to drive it!

YEAH, I can finally drive again 6th gear uphill without losing the belt, clutch in in 6th,...

Made a small test-drive:

then I pressure washed it:

and Today I put it to work 1st time since few years:
hauling a trailer full of apples, those we pressed to apple juice at my grandparents home.

Hopefully it doesn't break again, so I can scrap the beater Gutbrod.
Back to top Go down
Double W Cross Ranch
Grand Master
Grand Master

Forum Rep : 19

PostSubject: Re: The never ending Story of fixing Mowing Murray   Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:08 pm

Nice job! Is it going to have a deck on it?
Back to top Go down
https://themagazineishalff.wixsite.com/website Online
SebastianAlbrecht
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: The never ending Story of fixing Mowing Murray   Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:06 am

@Double W Cross Ranch wrote:
Nice job!  Is it going to have a deck on it?

Yep, I have 2 Decks that fit it, a 38" and a 40", I want to restore the decks first, before putting them back on, The Deck off my Mud Murray is in 90% good shape, just the white paint lets me puke all day! and the stock deck has to get painted since the underside is no paint left and rusty, and I don't want to let it rust out!
Back to top Go down
MatthewD
Grand Master
Grand Master

Forum Rep : 37

PostSubject: Re: The never ending Story of fixing Mowing Murray   Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:29 pm

That thing looks pretty good, fender shift is neat! Got any pics of the engine? Is it a newer OHV model or flathead?
Back to top Go down
SebastianAlbrecht
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: The never ending Story of fixing Mowing Murray   Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:46 pm

@MatthewD wrote:
That thing looks pretty good, fender shift is neat! Got any pics of the engine? Is it a newer OHV model or flathead?

Briggs 10,5HP I/C Flathead with the 11HP Shroud from my MTD. I can take Pics if U want.
Back to top Go down
SebastianAlbrecht
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: The never ending Story of fixing Mowing Murray   Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:29 pm

So far, Mowing Murray performe good for a stock mower! I use it a lot, since it runs, and MTD wasn't running!

He has to work a lot, cuz we have apple saison right now, and we have 10+ apple trees! 90% are getting apple juice.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The never ending Story of fixing Mowing Murray   

Back to top Go down

The never ending Story of fixing Mowing Murray
Page 1 of 1