All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

How to determine belt length?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Jamus
Established Member
Jamus
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

length - How to determine belt length? Empty
PostSubject: How to determine belt length?   length - How to determine belt length? Icon_minitimeAugust 2nd 2011, 11:37 pm

For those of you who build custom stuff and need a different length belt than stock, how do you determine the correct length? On my murray I've swapped pulleys, both 5" and I changed the clutch setup to a design that needs a longer belt. The stock 96" belt is way too short, it's tight before I even get it on the motor pulley, tight just against the motor shaft. I put all the pulleys on and released the clutch and used rope to measure and came up with 98". This is obviously too short since the small rope fits into the V notched pulleys tighter than a belt does. So I'm kinda stuck, especially since I plan to order the belt online, much cheaper. So is there a foolproof way to get this measurement?
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcbashers.com
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

PostSubject: Re: How to determine belt length?   length - How to determine belt length? Icon_minitimeAugust 3rd 2011, 2:05 am

i would say go with the around a 97. its alright if its a tiny bit to short because your clutch pulley gives you some room to work with. if you had a old longer belt you could cut that and wrap it around your pulleys then subtract what overlaps

a good place for cheap belts is http://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.asp?catname=powerTrans&keyword=PBAA just keep scrolling for bigger sizes. page 5 will have what you need

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/noledroByrreK?feature=mhum
ferg
ferg

PostSubject: Re: How to determine belt length?   length - How to determine belt length? Icon_minitimeOctober 27th 2011, 8:13 am

you are going to want to do a bit of maths!! but i use a piece on think ish rope, I also once got a 150 inch belt and cut is in half, I can use it as guide.
Back to top Go down
Jamus
Established Member
Jamus
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: How to determine belt length?   length - How to determine belt length? Icon_minitimeOctober 27th 2011, 10:04 am

I forgot I posted this. I ended up cutting a belt to measure with. Ended up needing a 101".
Back to top Go down
Ford Boi
Ford Boi

PostSubject: Re: How to determine belt length?   length - How to determine belt length? Icon_minitimeOctober 27th 2011, 10:36 am

Jamus wrote:
I forgot I posted this. I ended up cutting a belt to measure with. Ended up needing a 101".

101" ?? How long is your machine??? Man the longest belt I think I've ever needed is 88" lol
Back to top Go down
Jamus
Established Member
Jamus
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: How to determine belt length?   length - How to determine belt length? Icon_minitimeOctober 27th 2011, 4:18 pm

Stock is 96" I think. Then I swapped the double pulley clutch from a hydro murray onto it which requires more length.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: How to determine belt length?   length - How to determine belt length? Icon_minitimeOctober 28th 2011, 1:24 pm

Thats nothing- the belt on my 42" dynamark deck is about 107" long- thing was longer then the belt mesuring stick at TSC, one of the longest belts they carried.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to determine belt length?   length - How to determine belt length? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to determine belt length?
Page 1 of 1