All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Appropriate mower for build?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
zlkahn1

mower - Appropriate mower for build? Empty
PostSubject: Appropriate mower for build?   mower - Appropriate mower for build? Icon_minitimeSeptember 15th 2018, 1:53 pm

Hello all,

I am new to this forum and to modifying mowers. Right now I am looking at a John Deere l100 with a 6speed and a 15 HP Briggs and Stratton 1 Cylinder. Does anyone know if this would be an acceptable mower to do a pulley swap and mild modifications to? I am not looking for extreme speed. maybe 20-30MPH. Also is the one cylinder a problem? Any guidance would be much appreciated. Also, if you have any other good suggestions that would be better for builds like this feel free to let me know.

Thanks.

Last edited by zlkahn1 on September 15th 2018, 2:21 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Spelling Error)
Back to top Go down
Crazy_Carl
Veteran Member
Crazy_Carl
Veteran Member

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Appropriate mower for build?   mower - Appropriate mower for build? Icon_minitimeSeptember 15th 2018, 2:24 pm

I have an LT160. It's a body on a c channel type frame.  It's very strong, but IDK about the L100.  That might be a pan frame that's more susceptible to twist.  I think you have a spicer rear end so I would take it easy with it and not lock it.  The 15hp OHV briggs single should have enough power to start with and is easy to work on.  Sounds like you have a good basis for a beginner project.
Back to top Go down
zlkahn1

PostSubject: Re: Appropriate mower for build?   mower - Appropriate mower for build? Icon_minitimeSeptember 15th 2018, 2:27 pm

Crazy_Carl wrote:
I have an LT160. It's a body on a c channel type frame.  It's very strong, but IDK about the L100.  That might be a pan frame that's more susceptible to twist.  I think you have a spicer rear end so I would take it easy with it and not lock it.  The 15hp OHV briggs single should have enough power to start with and is easy to work on.  Sounds like you have a good basis for a beginner project.

Thank you for the information. How would I confirm what frame and rear and I have? Also, what is the concnsus on using old sears mowers, in terms of streangth?
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist

PostSubject: Re: Appropriate mower for build?   mower - Appropriate mower for build? Icon_minitimeSeptember 15th 2018, 4:49 pm

Old sears tractors are some of the coolest and strongest around.

I personally stay as far away from John Deere as I can. Very complicated in my experience and all the ones I’ve seen have a spicer (light duty) rear end.

Most guys start with what they can find, but I would try and keep an eye out for an 80s or 90s craftsman with a gear driven transmission. That could be a square body, or what I call the slant hood (my next project actually), or have a plastic front grill with steel hood (most common)

Craftsmen are made by AYP, which is husqavarna. Identical tractors with a different sticker that I’ve seen are poulan, weedeater, husqavarna, rally, meijer (only ever seen one but they exist apparently), wizard (Maine mud mower’s current project), and others I’m sure. These are the most common and strongest LT frames to work with so if you can afford to be picky at all, hold out for one of these. You can take it so much farther and I’m speaking from experience

Try and stay away from anything with a hydro or a stamped frame
Back to top Go down
zlkahn1

PostSubject: Re: Appropriate mower for build?   mower - Appropriate mower for build? Icon_minitimeSeptember 15th 2018, 5:06 pm

CraftsmanQuad19 wrote:
Old sears tractors are some of the coolest and strongest around.

I personally stay as far away from John Deere as I can. Very complicated in my experience and all the ones I’ve seen have a spicer (light duty) rear end.

Most guys start with what they can find, but I would try and keep an eye out for an 80s or 90s craftsman with a gear driven transmission. That could be a square body, or what I call the slant hood (my next project actually), or have a plastic front grill with steel hood (most common)

Craftsmen are made by AYP, which is husqavarna. Identical tractors with a different sticker that I’ve seen are poulan, weedeater, husqavarna, rally, meijer (only ever seen one but they exist apparently), wizard (Maine mud mower’s current project), and others I’m sure. These are the most common and strongest LT frames to work with so if you can afford to be picky at all, hold out for one of these. You can take it so much farther and I’m speaking from experience

Try and stay away from anything with a hydro or a stamped frame

Thank you for the info, I will look into some of those. I also saw a ‘96 white MTD with a 15.5hp and a 6speed, is it any good?
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist

PostSubject: Re: Appropriate mower for build?   mower - Appropriate mower for build? Icon_minitimeSeptember 15th 2018, 5:26 pm

I stay away from JD and even farther from MTD. That actually has a single speed rear end with a variable pulley like a cvt. Which sounds cool but it’s really finicky and prone to failure. Also the frames are really light duty, as are the front spindles. The only reason I would bring home an mtd is for a running engine. The rest is scrap
Back to top Go down
zlkahn1

PostSubject: Re: Appropriate mower for build?   mower - Appropriate mower for build? Icon_minitimeSeptember 15th 2018, 5:47 pm

CraftsmanQuad19 wrote:
I stay away from JD and even farther from MTD. That actually has a single speed rear end with a variable pulley like a cvt. Which sounds cool but it’s really finicky and prone to failure. Also the frames are really light duty, as are the front spindles. The only reason I would bring home an mtd is for a running engine. The rest is scrap

Haha, again, thank you for the info. I will probably go with the 12hp I found.
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist

PostSubject: Re: Appropriate mower for build?   mower - Appropriate mower for build? Icon_minitimeSeptember 15th 2018, 6:17 pm

Briggs Flathead I assume? Those are all I ran for a while because they were cheap, reliable, and good on gas. 12 horsepower is plenty for just general off-roading, but it’s gonna struggle in the deep stuff
Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21
AllisKidD21

5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts!
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant
1st Place Build-Off 2019
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2019

PostSubject: Re: Appropriate mower for build?   mower - Appropriate mower for build? Icon_minitimeSeptember 15th 2018, 8:53 pm

First off, welcome to the forum!  cheers As far as the tractor, it depends what kinda riding you plan to do with it. For just kinda generally bombing around and some mild off-road most tractors will do just fine. For stuff like crawling and harsh trails though, you'd most likely want something with a decent frame, steering, front axle, etc.

If you really enjoy custom fab work and modifying stuff, you can start with with a weaker tractor and build it up to be more capable and handle some hardcore off-road situations. Most people prefer to start with a good base and work with it though, makes good sense, but it's all personal preference I suppose.

"This'll either wake you up or put you to sleep forever!"- Red Green         "Whatever you do you should do right, even if it's something wrong." - Hank Hill

- MTD Off-Road Build
      - Ford LT 110 Off-Road Build
      - Craftsman GT 6000 Off-Road Build
       - Sears LT11 Rat Rod Build *2019 Build-Off Winner!*

Garden Tractor Collection: Allis B-110 x2, 710, 716, & 410 - Wheel Horse 655, 953 & 500 Special - Case 444 - Bolens Versamatic, G10 & 1668 Diesel Swapped - Cub 106, 124 & 1000/149 Frankentractor - Ford 120, LGT 125 & 145 - White 1650 Yard Boss - Moto Mower 710-100
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Appropriate mower for build?   mower - Appropriate mower for build? Icon_minitimeSeptember 15th 2018, 10:13 pm

Late to the party... but Welcome!

mower - Appropriate mower for build? Sig115PROJECTS:
     Marshal ........93 Craftsman GT6000      
     Red Bandit ...72 Wheel Horse Raider 12
     Dirty Rat........77 Sears Suburban
     Bowser..........01 Murray Widebody LT
     Other projects
Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!
mower - Appropriate mower for build? Sig214mower - Appropriate mower for build? Sig314
Back to top Go down
zlkahn1

PostSubject: Re: Appropriate mower for build?   mower - Appropriate mower for build? Icon_minitimeSeptember 16th 2018, 12:15 am

AllisKidD21 wrote:
First off, welcome to the forum!  cheers As far as the tractor, it depends what kinda riding you plan to do with it. For just kinda generally bombing around and some mild off-road most tractors will do just fine. For stuff like crawling and harsh trails though, you'd most likely want something with a decent frame, steering, front axle, etc.

If you really enjoy custom fab work and modifying stuff, you can start with with a weaker tractor and build it up to be more capable and handle some hardcore off-road situations. Most people prefer to start with a good base and work with it though, makes good sense, but it's all personal preference I suppose.

Thank you, I plan on just messing around, nothing serious. I also do not have a desire to do serious fab work.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Appropriate mower for build?   mower - Appropriate mower for build? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Appropriate mower for build?
Page 1 of 1