All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog inCountdown Timer
Swing by the Chatroom anytime! Chat events held every Saturday, 8pm EST - whenever!
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum!
Account activations are on HOLD!
ATLTF sticker shipments will resume soon! View them here, and keep up to date!
The forum is getting a minor face-lift. We hope you like it. Details here: Facelifting the Forum

Share | 

murray noma hybrid

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
AuthorMessage
darkside0914
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: murray noma hybrid   Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:43 pm

I just found out the craftsman I was planning to use for next yrs build off is out, I was planning to trade a yardmachine I have been putting together for the craftsman, but the other person sold it, i'm not upset about it, she needed the money, but now my only 2 choices are two john deers, my little 82 rer or the 125, i don't know if i can do anything with the bare craftsman frame i have, all i can do is look at it and see, i do have a dash and front axle for it, may be able it use some other parts i have scattered around like the murray lt body that was on my old trail mower
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Apprentice
Apprentice

Forum Rep : 6

PostSubject: Re: murray noma hybrid   Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:20 am

i've decided how I am going to attach the bed to the chassis, i am going to use bolts with those t-nuts for wood, the ones with the spikes that bite in, i think 16 going around the perimeter will suffice to hold the bed and ply wood base together and give it plenty of strength, the next problem will be mounting it to the chassis itself, i think i have that figured out, i will buy longer bolts and use the 6 axle mount bracket holes as part of the mounting system, i will have to drill holes for them in the bed, and still add at least 4 more to secure the front, i'll need to center the bed and drill at least two mounting holes so it stays centered when i pull the axle and brackets so i can mark and drill the 6 holes in the bed, to mount the tubs i will use the perimeter bolts to mount the inner sections to the floor, the ones i cut from the bed sides, and will likely use pop-rivets to mount the aluminum arches to them and the bed sides, the only thing i'm worried about is the strength of the t-nuts, but i don't plan to haul any heavy loads with this, and they are meant for furniture, so i think they should be ok, if not i'll replace them with regular nuts and washers,
Back to top Go down
Crazy_Carl
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Forum Rep : 95

PostSubject: Re: murray noma hybrid   Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:57 pm

I see the t nut loosening up over a long time. Depends on how often you plan on riding it and how rough you ride. I’d make something like a utility trailer for the bed. A metal sub frame which the wood is fastened to with flat head machine screws or self tappers in the metal frame.
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: murray noma hybrid   Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:55 pm

problem is I can't really do anything that will raise the bed any higher, as it is the shifter arm that mounts to the shifter shaft will have to be bent to clear the bed, the t-nuts will only be to hold the bed to the ply, there won't be much stress put on them, it will have 10 different bolts with nuts going through the bed, ply and chassis to secure it all down, I'll use thread locker on all the bolts to help prevent them from coming loose, this is too long for a trail machine, it has the turning radius of the titanic, so it will be used strictly as a on road utility/rat rod tractor,
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: murray noma hybrid   Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:43 am

I think I will can the t-nuts after all, not because I don't think they'll be strong enough, but because of cost, I can get the bolts, nuts and washers I need to do the whole thing for half the price of the t-nuts alone, it's simply more cost effective to go with regular bolts instead, i plan to cut a section of bed rail and bend it to make the tailgate, i'll mount it with some heavy duty door hinges i have, get rid of the piece of ply that's bolted in right now, but for now i'm going to concentrate on getting the bed securely mounted to the chassis, i did find something recently that i may get for it though, an aoogha horn, i think it will fit this build perfectly
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: murray noma hybrid   Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:59 pm

I may not be able to join the 2019 build off, I will need to rebuild or replace the engine in my truck sometime soon, she's reaching the 400thousand mile mark and is burning oil, about 3 quart a month, and not running very good even after a full tune up, as this is my daily I can't afford to let it die, i'll do some tests 1st, but with the mileage on it i'll probably end up having to replacing it.
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: murray noma hybrid   Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:44 pm

I made a little progress with rusty today, I centered the bed and drilled my mounting holes, then discovered the factory frame holes are to small for the bolts I bought, so I have to drill them out as well as the transaxle brackets, I got 4 of the frame holes drilled out and started smelling something funny, look down and my drill is smoking, uh oh better stop before I burn it up, so i'll have to wait and continue working on it later
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: murray noma hybrid   Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:09 pm

well I goofed, I had the bed centered and two holes drilled to keep it aligned, but somehow I still ended up with it being 1/2 to 3/4 in to the right, but i'll just have to deal with it, i'm not redrilling 10 holes to move it over that small amount, I also realized something else, when I bolted down the pan from the noma I forgot to put the bolts in that hold the hood mounts on before bolting it down, now I have no room to put in the bolts or put nuts between the two frames, oh well, that's why I bought a welder, i'll just weld the mounts where they go, instead of taking it all apart to put in 4 measly bolts
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: murray noma hybrid   Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:59 pm

I did something yesterday I never thought i'd do, I bought an older rocketa 4 wheeler, it's got a solid chassis, decent tires and shaft drive, the engine is a 250cc, but I don't even know if it runs, the lady I bought it from let her son take it apart, so all the plastics are off and the wiring has been disconnected, she said it ran before he started stripping it, but for $80 I went ahead and bought it, the plastics are pretty faded so I think he planned on painting it, but that doesn't explain why the wiring has been disconnected too.
Back to top Go down
SebastianAlbrecht
Master
Master

Forum Rep : 25

PostSubject: Re: murray noma hybrid   Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:16 am

hmmm I would swap the internals into a mower.......
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: murray noma hybrid   Yesterday at 2:34 am

if I can't get it running I may do that, or swap in a predator engine with a torque converter,
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: murray noma hybrid   

Back to top Go down

murray noma hybrid
Page 6 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6