All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

my mower projects(name changed)

Go down 
+10
AllisKidD21
mrshaft696
RockeyDA
SebastianAlbrecht
MightyRaze
Creepycrawler
MatthewD
SteamNut247
Crazy_Carl
darkside0914
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
darkside0914
Established Member

Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2020 Build-Off Top 3 Winner

my mower projects(name changed) - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeDecember 20th 2018, 4:43 pm

I just found out the craftsman I was planning to use for next yrs build off is out, I was planning to trade a yardmachine I have been putting together for the craftsman, but the other person sold it, i'm not upset about it, she needed the money, but now my only 2 choices are two john deers, my little 82 rer or the 125, i don't know if i can do anything with the bare craftsman frame i have, all i can do is look at it and see, i do have a dash and front axle for it, may be able it use some other parts i have scattered around like the murray lt body that was on my old trail mower
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeDecember 23rd 2018, 12:20 am

i've decided how I am going to attach the bed to the chassis, i am going to use bolts with those t-nuts for wood, the ones with the spikes that bite in, i think 16 going around the perimeter will suffice to hold the bed and ply wood base together and give it plenty of strength, the next problem will be mounting it to the chassis itself, i think i have that figured out, i will buy longer bolts and use the 6 axle mount bracket holes as part of the mounting system, i will have to drill holes for them in the bed, and still add at least 4 more to secure the front, i'll need to center the bed and drill at least two mounting holes so it stays centered when i pull the axle and brackets so i can mark and drill the 6 holes in the bed, to mount the tubs i will use the perimeter bolts to mount the inner sections to the floor, the ones i cut from the bed sides, and will likely use pop-rivets to mount the aluminum arches to them and the bed sides, the only thing i'm worried about is the strength of the t-nuts, but i don't plan to haul any heavy loads with this, and they are meant for furniture, so i think they should be ok, if not i'll replace them with regular nuts and washers,
Back to top Go down
Crazy_Carl
Veteran Member
Crazy_Carl
Veteran Member

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeDecember 24th 2018, 12:57 pm

I see the t nut loosening up over a long time. Depends on how often you plan on riding it and how rough you ride. I’d make something like a utility trailer for the bed. A metal sub frame which the wood is fastened to with flat head machine screws or self tappers in the metal frame.
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeDecember 24th 2018, 10:55 pm

problem is I can't really do anything that will raise the bed any higher, as it is the shifter arm that mounts to the shifter shaft will have to be bent to clear the bed, the t-nuts will only be to hold the bed to the ply, there won't be much stress put on them, it will have 10 different bolts with nuts going through the bed, ply and chassis to secure it all down, I'll use thread locker on all the bolts to help prevent them from coming loose, this is too long for a trail machine, it has the turning radius of the titanic, so it will be used strictly as a on road utility/rat rod tractor,
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeDecember 26th 2018, 3:43 am

I think I will can the t-nuts after all, not because I don't think they'll be strong enough, but because of cost, I can get the bolts, nuts and washers I need to do the whole thing for half the price of the t-nuts alone, it's simply more cost effective to go with regular bolts instead, i plan to cut a section of bed rail and bend it to make the tailgate, i'll mount it with some heavy duty door hinges i have, get rid of the piece of ply that's bolted in right now, but for now i'm going to concentrate on getting the bed securely mounted to the chassis, i did find something recently that i may get for it though, an aoogha horn, i think it will fit this build perfectly
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeDecember 30th 2018, 5:59 pm

I may not be able to join the 2019 build off, I will need to rebuild or replace the engine in my truck sometime soon, she's reaching the 400thousand mile mark and is burning oil, about 3 quart a month, and not running very good even after a full tune up, as this is my daily I can't afford to let it die, i'll do some tests 1st, but with the mileage on it i'll probably end up having to replacing it.
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeJanuary 16th 2019, 4:44 pm

I made a little progress with rusty today, I centered the bed and drilled my mounting holes, then discovered the factory frame holes are to small for the bolts I bought, so I have to drill them out as well as the transaxle brackets, I got 4 of the frame holes drilled out and started smelling something funny, look down and my drill is smoking, uh oh better stop before I burn it up, so i'll have to wait and continue working on it later
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeJanuary 17th 2019, 9:09 pm

well I goofed, I had the bed centered and two holes drilled to keep it aligned, but somehow I still ended up with it being 1/2 to 3/4 in to the right, but i'll just have to deal with it, i'm not redrilling 10 holes to move it over that small amount, I also realized something else, when I bolted down the pan from the noma I forgot to put the bolts in that hold the hood mounts on before bolting it down, now I have no room to put in the bolts or put nuts between the two frames, oh well, that's why I bought a welder, i'll just weld the mounts where they go, instead of taking it all apart to put in 4 measly bolts
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeJanuary 19th 2019, 11:59 pm

I did something yesterday I never thought i'd do, I bought an older rocketa 4 wheeler, it's got a solid chassis, decent tires and shaft drive, the engine is a 250cc, but I don't even know if it runs, the lady I bought it from let her son take it apart, so all the plastics are off and the wiring has been disconnected, she said it ran before he started stripping it, but for $80 I went ahead and bought it, the plastics are pretty faded so I think he planned on painting it, but that doesn't explain why the wiring has been disconnected too.
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeJanuary 21st 2019, 2:34 am

if I can't get it running I may do that, or swap in a predator engine with a torque converter,
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFebruary 26th 2019, 2:17 am

rusty is currently buried in the garage, and unable to be gotten to ATM, that's why I've not been posting any progress on it, I do plan to get back to it soon, and have decided to blow it apart completely and get the bed lined up and any other little things I may need to do in order to get it running and driving right, but I have been thinking of something I've never seen and was trying to figure out how to do it, it won't make a mower faster or better off road, but I think it would look cool, and that would be to put a second front axle on it, 4 front tires all steering, very similar to the elf 6 wheeled F1 race car
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMarch 27th 2019, 4:28 am

I picked up a 2000 murray millennial edition the other day for $30, and I've been thinking of combining it with the roketa atv I bought awhile back, the atv has a shaft drive and I was thinking I may be able to hook the drive shaft to the peerless 700 transmission I have and mount the front a arms and rear swing arm from the atv under the murray giving me full suspension, only real trouble would be which direction the drive shaft turns to go forward or back ward and will the 700 turn the same direction,
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeApril 26th 2019, 4:06 am

i had a family emergency so i've been out of town for the last month and have another month or so before i get home, my uncle had hip surgery and needed my help till his son can get home, thankfully his neighbor has let me borrow a computer while i'm here, still trying to decide what exactly i want to do with the new murray i picked up, i sold the atv, so that's out, i've decided to pull the 820 out of rusty and drop a mst 205 in it, figure it's become more of a rat rod type machine and i won't really be hauling anything heavy with it so the mst will be fine, and i have a set of 20x8.50-8 tires that came off of rusty back when i 1st got it that should look pretty good on it when it's done, the 820 will go under either my 98 widebody or the new murray, it may just end up being the machine i use for that 4x6 i've always wanted to build, i can't wait to get home, i really need to go for a ride and spend the day out on the trails
Back to top Go down
Crazy_Carl
Veteran Member
Crazy_Carl
Veteran Member

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeApril 26th 2019, 11:16 am

I'm sorry about your family emergency bud.

I like these ideas a lot.
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeApril 29th 2019, 8:41 pm

it wasn't anything overly serious, the cartilage in his right hip had degraded and was causing him severe pain and was causing a nerve to get pinched so his leg would go numb, so they replaced it with a new plastic piece, he wanted to wait till my cousin Greg got home, but they would have had to put it off for another 6 to 8 months, so he asked me if i could help out till then, my cousin works in Alaska, i think on the oil lines , i'm not really sure, neither is uncle randy for that matter, but he's gone 3 to 6 months at a time, i guess i'll decide on what i want to do with the murray when i get home
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMay 5th 2019, 9:14 pm

i just got word from my brother, he bought another wheel horse, a complete 211-4 for $80, he said the old 11hp flattie smokes but it does run and the column shift is off, it apparently has no reverse, he said neutral is in the reverse position, but the deck, body, and paint is in good shape and the electric deck clutch does work, he thinks the battery is bad, said it hissed when he tried to charge it, because of the smoking he's talking about putting the 15hp ohv off a wizard mower he has, it has an electric deck clutch too so if the one off the wheelhorse won't mount to the ohv engine he should be able to use that one, i told him to wait for a couple weeks till i get home to do anything, that way i can help him and he doesn't end up stuck on the garage floor like he did a few weeks ago with a mower that had fallen on top of him, so did he get a good deal on this or not, just wondering about your opinions
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMay 19th 2019, 2:55 am

just found out from my cousin he should be home early next week, so i can go home myself soon, and maybe get rusty drug out from the back of the garage and stripped down again, i plan to completely strip it down and rebuild it paying more attention to the bed mounting and alignment, hood mounts and pulling the 820 and dropping in the mst, and i wasn't going to but i have been considering painting it, i was thinking it might look good satin black with gloss red pin stripes, and i'll be putting in one of the 12hp flatheads i have in place of the 14.5ohv currently on it, just fits the theme better and i won't need to mod the hood to fit like i would if i kept the ohv engine
Back to top Go down
Murraymountain
Veteran Member
Murraymountain
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMay 19th 2019, 9:35 am

I do agree that a 12 flathead would fit the theme better, but the 14.5 ohvs are almost unbreakable if you keep it governed. I've never seen a blown 14.5.
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMay 20th 2019, 4:30 pm

my main issue is the fit, i'd have to cut out the grill to fit the hood with the ohv in it, and the noma had a 12 in it originally so no mods required to fit another, and i'd rather go with one of the good running 12s i have sitting around and not have to modify the hood or grill, but since i'm blowing apart rusty i can get some better pics of my mods and reassembly, i was too rushed when i initially built it and made mistakes i want to fix, as for a blown 14.5, yeah i've seen a couple, one blew because of neglect and abuse, the other simply threw a rod, never figured out why, it was low hrs and well maintained, we have one in our garage right now that runs, but sounds like a jack hammer's inside it,
Back to top Go down
Murraymountain
Veteran Member
Murraymountain
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMay 20th 2019, 6:42 pm

Hmm... Well for now I've never seen one blown or heard one knock. The only problem I have with the B&S OHV is they LOVE to blow head gaskets.

Did you move your hood back or something? Every widebody I have'll fit an OHV perfectly.

(I'm not telling you how to build your stuff, just wondering now.)
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMay 21st 2019, 2:33 am

ah that's the thing, the only part of rusty that's murray is the frame, the body is a noma that i stripped and mounted on top of the murray chassis this one in fact
my mower projects(name changed) - Page 6 22712721-639132149810057-823436927-o
i then stretched the chassis using another murray chassis, this one from a gt and added the bed off an old utility trailer, i was originally going for a stronger chassis but basically stock wheelbase, since the noma has a pan frame, then came the stretch and the idea of doing a utility build with a dump bed, then i decided to do it more as a rat rod style inspired by ford model A trucks, as i build on it it evolves more, who knows how it will eventually end up before i'm done
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMay 22nd 2019, 6:06 am

well my cousin was delayed, his replacement didn't show up when he was supposed to and so now he won't be able to come home till the replacements replacement gets there in a few more days, my uncle is up and walking again, but not very well, a lot of physical therapy to go through yet and he's not fully healed from the surgery, but he's doing good according to his doctor, no signs of infection and it's healing fine just a bit slow due to my uncles age, he's 75,
but now i have problems at home, me and my brother are roommates, and we had a 3rd roommate, but a week ago my brother found drugs in the house, meth, and since we don't do drugs he confronted our roommate about it and evicted him, the guy left the 2nd floor of our house a complete disaster, bags of trash in the 2nd floor bathroom, the toilet clogged and full of poo, and bed bugs he never told us about, so we have a lot of work to do when i get home, so until we get this straightened out and deal with the mess he left us i'm going to have to put things on hold for awhile, i told my brother to wait till i got home before doing anything strenuous, he has a bad heart valve, so i can help get the 2nd floor cleaned back up, we also decided we would accept no more roommates, the extra money was nice, but we'd rather not take the chance of something like this happening again, this is the 3rd one who's messed us over and that is enough for us,
Back to top Go down
Murraymountain
Veteran Member
Murraymountain
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMay 22nd 2019, 2:08 pm

Oh yeah. That's WAYYYYYY more important than this. Take your time.
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMay 22nd 2019, 11:48 pm

i'm hoping it's not as bad as jeremy(my brother) said it is, he's one of those people who sees things as worse than they actually are, greg should be home by friday so i can be home by saturday, and get a better idea of what's going on,
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMay 23rd 2019, 9:24 am

We can hope. Man, talk about some rough goings! I pray that things get better from here and all turns out well.

my mower projects(name changed) - Page 6 Sig115PROJECTS:
     Marshal ........93 Craftsman GT6000      
     Red Bandit ...72 Wheel Horse Raider 12
     Dirty Rat........77 Sears Suburban
     Bowser..........01 Murray Widebody LT
     Other projects
Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!
my mower projects(name changed) - Page 6 Sig214my mower projects(name changed) - Page 6 Sig314
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

my mower projects(name changed)
Page 6 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next