All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

my mower projects(name changed)

Go down 
+10
AllisKidD21
mrshaft696
RockeyDA
SebastianAlbrecht
MightyRaze
Creepycrawler
MatthewD
SteamNut247
Crazy_Carl
darkside0914
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
MightyRaze
Administrator

Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

my mower projects(name changed) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeOctober 5th 2018, 10:01 pm

Plastic tank, black axle, Red dual stripe maybe a 76.  My guess the serial is 917.2595x x being some number I can't remember if it was month or something. Too bad the hitch plate is missing and the dash busted.
Back to top Go down
Crazy_Carl
Veteran Member
Crazy_Carl
Veteran Member

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeOctober 5th 2018, 10:36 pm

Here we go again...another sears...

Pretty cool find for $100.  I like the look of that big twin stuffed under the hood.
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2020 Build-Off Top 3 Winner

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeOctober 5th 2018, 11:25 pm

yeah the busted dash is a real bummer, the hitch plate I can get off ebay for around $25, the dash is a little higher, and the only ones I can find are for different models like the ss14 for around $50 to $60, and I don't know if any of them will fit, but I've got some sheet aluminum and some sheet metal screws, it won't be pretty but I can do something with it till I can replace it, my main concern is making sure it runs and drives, looks are secondary, so tomorrow i'm going to hook up a battery and see if this thing will start and move
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeOctober 5th 2018, 11:43 pm

as I said before I like old things and I've wanted a suburban or similar hd tractor for as long as I've been messing with off road mowers, for the price I couldn't pass it up,
now as for my clearance issue with the noma build, I think I may have just enough clearance to mount the engine, but not to make the hood open like it should, no problem, if I need access to the engine it's just a matter of 2 pins and 2 bolts and it comes right off, if I have to i'll run the engine backwards or sideways and get a longer throttle cable. there's 1 other thing I want to check before I make a final decision on what i'm going to do, I may just remove the murray steering system totally and use the noma system since it's in better shape than I originally thought, it just needs new rod ends and I will have to lengthen the drag link to reach the front axle
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeOctober 6th 2018, 9:45 pm

MightyRaze wrote:
Plastic tank, black axle, Red dual stripe maybe a 76.  My guess the serial is 917.2595x x being some number I can't remember if it was month or something. Too bad the hitch plate is missing and the dash busted.
I found the number plate and you're right that is the number, the X in this case is a 0, the good news is the engine does run and it does drive, the belt is to short and I don't know what he put on it for a clutch pulley but it locked up within minutes of me starting it, I also think i'm going to have to check out the clutch linkage as I have next to no clutch travel at all

I have decided that with the sears I have to many machines, I really don't need 6 mud mowers, ok 4 mudders and 2 mowers, so i'm finishing the chassis on the noma and i'm going to use my other murray lt widebody frame for the extension to make it a 4x6, i'll put the murray body in storage until I find a use for it, my little rer john deer will make a great little go cart/street mower and of course the sears will be my regular off roader once I get the minor bugs worked out on it, i'm going to have to use the steering and engine mount location on the noma so I can put the hood on, it won't be a big deal to lengthen the drag link and switch the spindles off the noma onto the murray front axle, I should be able to get a coupler of the right length and cut down a bolt to lengthen the draglink, i'll have to remove the original engine plate and steering components from the murray frame though, atm I've done nothing to the murray chassis I can't reverse easily if it doesn't work out as I planned, I can easily reinforce the murray chassis to make up for the loss of the engine plate and sector gear mount plate,
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeOctober 8th 2018, 6:25 pm

I temporarily mounted the murray frame to the noma pan, it's only held on with 4 bolts atm and the space for the 2 rear bolts will be going away so I can fit he shifter through, but it's good enough for me to get the steering setup and drill holes to permanently mount the two, I think I did pretty good for just eyeballing it, the rear is off by 2mm and the front by about the same, when I get ready to bring them together as a unit I will slot 4 of the bolt holes so I can adjust it if needed and center it before drilling the rest of the holes, I was thinking i'd do 8 1/2in bolts to hold the two together, 4 down each side, that should be more than strong enough
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeOctober 10th 2018, 6:15 pm

the veri-drive will not work, at least not with the noma steering, the steering arm hits the foot controle section of the veri-drive, I can still use the veri-drive pulley as a jackshaft, and since it has a factory clutch on it I can use that with my stock rear pulley, my plan was to run a belt tight enough to hold the veri-drive in it's top speed position, then using the factory clutch and 6" rear pulley run a second belt to the transaxle, since this is the section with the clutch it should work like a stacked pulley as long as the main belt stays tight, or I can take it and have it welded in that position, I can then run a spring loaded tensioner without the worry of the rear belt causing it to move, there's also going to have to be a few alterations to the clutch pedal assembly so I can have steering, as it sits the drag link and clutch cross bar want to occupy the same space, but I only need the very right hand side where the veri-drive and clutch pedals are, I can cut the veri-drive pedal off and use the stock clutch pedal which rides on the vd shaft, i'll also cut the shaft going to the left side so my drag link doesn't hit it, i'll have to brace it some how but that will be something I worry about when I get to that point in the build
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeOctober 10th 2018, 8:06 pm

took care of the clutch and the problem with the drag link hitting with one solution, cut the bar that crossed the chassis and reversed it slid the clutch pedal assembly back on and spaced the clutch pedal a little further in so I don't have to cut the floor to operate it, I get full throw on the clutch and i'm happy with how this simple solution took care of both my problems,
my mower projects(name changed) - Page 2 43672035_519549118528506_83060501386362880_n
I still need to cut off the excess length off the bar for the clutch, and mount the outer bracket, but I will need some cut off wheels and spacers for that, next up is extending the drag link and mounting the noma pan permanently to the murray frame.
my mower projects(name changed) - Page 2 43604392_2112415092353079_3271782326610165760_n
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeOctober 10th 2018, 8:21 pm

I might see if one of my un-molested engine pulleys with the deck pulley still intact will let the belt align with out the veri-drive unit on it, if I can run a single belt off the deck pulley it will give me a simpler solution to my drive problems and make it cheaper to replace belts, the problem is the clutch and stock rear pulley are lower on the frame than on a standard mower but I think I've got a couple pulleys that will give me the right height for the belt to align with the clutch and rear pulley
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeOctober 11th 2018, 6:27 am

got board and went to the garage again, straightened out the drag link, literally, it's now long enough to work and still doesn't hit anywhere, i'll still get a threaded coupler, or make the worn out rod end into one, and lengthen it because the rod ends are a lot further out on the threads than I want them to be, but they both need replaced anyway and it's good enough for now to test when I get it fully together, I have about 6 turns on each before they come off, i also mounted the pan permanently to the murray frame, I decided the millimeters that i'm off on each side are close enough for me and other than cutting out a section in the rear to fit the murray shifter it's ready for the rest of the body to go back on, I may toss it on anyway just to get an idea of how it's going to look when I get it finished, then comes phase 2 of the build, getting it ready to be converted to a 4x6, I have decided to go with stock sized tires so i'll be buying 4 20x8.50x8 knobby tires for the rear and running stock sized tires on the front, though I will have to get some aggressive tires that will bite when I want to turn on dirt.
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeOctober 11th 2018, 6:30 am

i had 2 problems tonight, 1st my net went out so a post I started at 10pm actually didn't get posted until after 5am, the other problem I had is the mst 206 I have is different than the 205 i'm running in my murray, I wanted to change the gear selector for the longer one in my 205 and run it in my murray, then put the 205 in the noma/murray using a longer selector from a junk transaxle I have, that can't be done because the 206 selector hole is to small to fit the longer selector, and the tops won't transfer either, I can put the 6th gear in my 205 to make it a 206, but the problem still remains I need a longer selector for this build as well, my only choice otherwise is to go with changing the gear over and putting in a nut buster gear lever like the noma had originally, now this can make it easier in one way, I won't have to cut out the pan to fit the murray selector, so no more holes cut into the body, which I like, unfortunately I have already cut the center console out of the noma body for the transaxle I originally planned and wasn't able to use, easily covered with an aluminum panel, i'll just have to trace and cut the shifter pattern into it, I just hope I still have one of the nut buster gear levers somewhere in my junk boxes, if not i'll have to make something.
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeOctober 11th 2018, 11:25 pm

found a part of a transaxle in my junk pile, turned out to be what remained of a mst 206, but it had a few parts I needed to transfer the gears from the old 206, (i think it's an older one, the 205 and the 206 parts i found use a gear drive for reverse, but the other 206 uses a chain drive, they also have 2 bolts on the bottom center where the one i was working on has 1 center top) to the one I wanted to use, namely the main gear shaft and gears, which are surprisingly in good condition even after sitting out in the junk pile for who knows how long, glad I hadn't hauled that in to the scrap yard yet, but i'm still missing one little part, one little bushing is all I need to close this tranny up, well that and a tube of sealant and some gear oil, so it looks like i'll be putting this transaxle under the murray/noma, maybe I should give it a name, mur-noma, no-murray? to heck with it, I always called the noma by rusty, so that's what i'll keep calling it, i put the body on today, mostly because I expected to use a short shaft tranny and nut buster shifter, figured it would be just as easy to put those in with the body on, but now I have to pull it apart again because i'm able to use the tranny I wanted to and have to cut out the pan to put in the murray shifter, a little more work but no big deal.
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeOctober 11th 2018, 11:29 pm

oh and the reason i'm going through all this to fix a transaxle is simple, the old 206 has a couple problems I found while I was putting it back together today, it has 4 bolts stripped out and a crack in the left axle shaft housing
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeOctober 12th 2018, 5:27 pm

i'm going to put the 820 I have out of my murray gt in this and run the stock 23x8.50-12 tires from it and the other transaxle I have, it will mean a little more time and expense to do the 4x6 conversion, because I will have to get 4 1in bore sprockets instead of 2 3/4in bore, I already have 2 3/4in bore sprockets, but I will also have to get 2 1in bore keyed hubs to fit the bolt on wheels from the other transaxle, going up in size on the keyed shaft isn't that big a deal, a 1in shaft is only a few dollars more than the 3/4in would have been, and I think this will make for a much stronger axle to use for the 4x6, i'll also have to use the larger 8in front wheels and tires off it so it sits level, but they fit the spindles with me only having to change out the 7/8 bushings on the murray wheels to the 3/4 bearings rusty's spindles use, I've done this before with these wheels so I know it's just a matter of changing them out.
Back to top Go down
Crazy_Carl
Veteran Member
Crazy_Carl
Veteran Member

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeOctober 13th 2018, 12:40 pm

Sounds like your drag link is going into your rod ends only about 1/4" if they are 5/16-24.  That's not enough.  Do you have a welder?

I like the idea of going to an 820 with 1" axles and 5 lug rims.  Yes this will add some cost but if you hunt around for certain parts like sprockets and 5 lug hubs for 1" shaft you can save some money.  The end result will be a stronger 4x6 with bigger tires!
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeOctober 13th 2018, 6:06 pm

yeah it's not safe as is, but it's good enough to move around, I do have a welder but it's acting up, it won't feed wire, I know it's not the motor, so it has to be the trigger or circuit board, the 820 has tires and wheels on it, they're slide on not hubed, the other set is a 4 lug bolt on, but the hubs are splined not keyed so I can't use them, wish I could and save me about $50 for a new set of hubs, but i'm going to do something fun for now with rusty, once I get the steering straightened out so it's safe, until I get the hubs, axle, sprockets, chain, and bearings i'll need for the 4x6 conversion i'm going to use the 2 tires I plan to use on the 3rd axle and make it a dually, unfortunately i'm not doing anything for the next few days due to a problem with my left foot and a matter of it being in severe pain, which is really annoying because I've been feeling pretty good lately and planned on stripping down the murray gt the 820 currently resides in and mounting it under rusty, oh well, it'll wait till my foot gets better in a few days and I can get back to work on the build
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeOctober 13th 2018, 11:57 pm

so my brother goes out picking today and when he comes home he says "I found something for rusty" then brings a car seat in, is it odd that I'm actually considering putting the bucket seat from car on this build, it does need a new seat but that might be to much, at least for now, but might not look to bad when I do the 4x6 conversion and put the bed on.
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeOctober 14th 2018, 3:27 am

my mower projects(name changed) - Page 2 30582261-744476159275655-693227478423961600-o
this is what i'll be using for the bed after I do the conversion, you can't really tell it but under all the mud the paint is a near exact match to rusty's, and since i'm not planning to paint it when done, but may put on a couple coats of clear I figured it would make for a perfect utility bed
Back to top Go down
Crazy_Carl
Veteran Member
Crazy_Carl
Veteran Member

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeOctober 14th 2018, 9:47 pm

One cool mod idea for that bed would be to make the tailgate hinge at the bottom and put a couple cables from a pickup tailgate on it to support it in the down position.  You'll have to figure out some latches but that's how most UTVs are set up and it's great.
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeOctober 14th 2018, 11:01 pm

I was thinking about gate latches, the kind with the round pin that locks into the claw, I thought that if I put them top and bottom with a pin to secure the claw closed I could use them as both a latch and a hinge and have it so I could open it like a dump bed with it swiveling from the top and a pick-up style with removable chains where it swiveled from the bottom, in order to make the bed tilt I will have to come up with heavy duty hinges, I was thinking heavy barn door hinges, because the brackets that hold the axle to the bed are ripping free, I planned to reinforce the floor of the bed with bed frame going both length wise and width wise, it's funny how the running gear held up to dozens of rides with both people and gear in it but falls off a trailer going 10mph down the road and breaks loose
Back to top Go down
Crazy_Carl
Veteran Member
Crazy_Carl
Veteran Member

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeOctober 15th 2018, 9:55 pm

I like that idea for the tailgate a lot.
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeOctober 15th 2018, 10:40 pm

I think i'm going to scrap the idea of making it tilt and just mount it solid, so i'll drop one set of the gate latches and just use good door hinges at the bottom,
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeOctober 16th 2018, 4:33 am

I know i'm getting a little ahead of the current progress with this, but I've been watching a few videos where they've done something like what I plan by mounting an old trailer bed onto a 6x6 mower, and quite frankly I don't like how they look, I like the look of a old dual axle truck where the tires sit under the bed and doing this the way I originally planned would leave about half the bed hanging out the back, so once phase one is completed and I gather the parts to do phase 2 i'm going to have to make a choice, 1 option is to move the transaxle back about a foot and mod the linkage and get a longer belt to drive it, this would not be much of a problem really, just a few more holes drilled and the transaxle mounts moved where I want them,, I can move the rear fenders so I don't have that huge gap where the tires sat originally or take them off completely, the second method would double the cost of the 4x6, I would need another 1 inch axle 2 more sprockets, chain and bearings, basically I would leave the transaxle where it sits and run a chain from it to the front rear axle, then run a second chain to the rear most axle, I am considering a third option, I mentioned before I was going to make this a dually before I did it up as a 6x6, I might scrap the 6x6 plan and still move the axle back, but leave it a dually, with the bed on it like the old farm/grain trucks, i'll still have the option of doing it as a 4x6 later on if I choose to, it would just be a matter of moving the axle forward and putting in the 3rd axle
Back to top Go down
Crazy_Carl
Veteran Member
Crazy_Carl
Veteran Member

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeOctober 16th 2018, 7:51 pm

You are definitely getting ahead of yourself on this build.  I like the idea of moving a dually axle back a little bit.  It seems simple and cheap to do and would look pretty cool at the same time.  You definitely want the bed to tilt.  You'll find plenty of uses for it once it is built and many of these uses involve the ability to dump.  the hindge doesn't need to be anything fancy.  Just look at how ramp gates are made on utility trailers.  It's just a 3/4" steel pin going through pieces of pipe.  It'll be fine without bushings or bearings with the little amount of rotation it does.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

my mower projects(name changed)
Page 2 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next