All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

my mower projects(name changed)

Go down 
+10
AllisKidD21
mrshaft696
RockeyDA
SebastianAlbrecht
MightyRaze
Creepycrawler
MatthewD
SteamNut247
Crazy_Carl
darkside0914
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Crazy_Carl
Veteran Member

Veteran Member

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

my mower projects(name changed) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeOctober 16th 2018, 7:51 pm

You are definitely getting ahead of yourself on this build.  I like the idea of moving a dually axle back a little bit.  It seems simple and cheap to do and would look pretty cool at the same time.  You definitely want the bed to tilt.  You'll find plenty of uses for it once it is built and many of these uses involve the ability to dump.  the hindge doesn't need to be anything fancy.  Just look at how ramp gates are made on utility trailers.  It's just a 3/4" steel pin going through pieces of pipe.  It'll be fine without bushings or bearings with the little amount of rotation it does.
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2020 Build-Off Top 3 Winner

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeOctober 16th 2018, 10:45 pm

I don't know how much dumping i'll actually do with it honestly, we don't have much of a yard, maybe 8000 sq ft, and the driveway was just freshly graveled before we moved in here, I don't really have much need for a dump bed, plus we have two other trailers with dump beds , one about twice as large as the one i'm useing for this, I think in the 2 yrs we've had the trailer we used the dump function maybe twice, my main reason for even putting the bed on it is to haul our gear when we go for a ride, and because it'll look cool, i'll leave the frame extension long and just move the axle mounts where I need them, that will give me the option of doing the 6x6 later on and still get the look I want, the more I picture it in my head the more I like the dually idea, it'll be a functional work horse when I need it and can't use or don't need to use my truck, but still be a fun reliable trail/mud toy
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeOctober 17th 2018, 7:11 pm

decided I didn't care how much pain I was in with my foot I had to get out and do something, didn't get a lot done, but I did pull the rear fenders back off rusty and cut the back of the pan out so I could fit the chassis extension, but now i'm completely out of cutoff wheels and i'm going to need those to go any further, so now, unless I get my little atv sold, i'm stuck where i'm at until I get paid the 1st and can go get some more wheels, what I need is a really good one that will last a good long time, I generally go through 8 to 10 regular cut off wheels a week, still have a section of the pan to cut as well as the frame i'm using to extend the murray chassis, which is actually a craftsman frame, it's about 3/4 inch wider than the murray frame is so i'll need to figure out how i'm going to fit them together too,
Back to top Go down
RockeyDA
Established Member
RockeyDA
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeOctober 18th 2018, 4:54 am

darkside0914 wrote:
Crazy_Carl wrote:
Sounds like a build worthy of a thread to me.  I look forward to some progress updates.
the main trouble is getting pics, I dropped my camera in rend lake last summer and haven't replaced it yet, so I have to rely on my brother to take pics with his phone for me. I don't touch cell phones, every time I do they start doing strange things and a few has even stopped working altogether after I held them, but i'll get as many as I can to show the progress and any mods I had to make especially when I start to extend the chassis for the 4x6 conversion.

glad to hear im not the only one. my person camera is a Nikon L105 i got off ebay for 20$. its a great camera for both video and pictures. has a great mic.
Back to top Go down
RockeyDA
Established Member
RockeyDA
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeOctober 18th 2018, 5:11 am

also super jelly of if that subrbin. never seen one remotely that cheep. what i wold do for a cast iron oppy alone.
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeOctober 18th 2018, 11:08 am

RockeyDA wrote:
also super jelly of if that subrbin. never seen one remotely that cheep. what i wold do for a cast iron oppy alone.
the guy I got mine off of said he has another one for $150, it's just a chassis without an engine, but supposed to be in better condition, but i'm assuming you're nowhere near .s. Illinois so I doubt that info helps you, I had a little sanyo 1414, but I was trying to get a shot for a photo comp on the rc car forum I belong to, slipped on the rocks next to the lake and my camera went flying into the water,
Back to top Go down
RockeyDA
Established Member
RockeyDA
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeOctober 18th 2018, 1:03 pm

well, i live in central PA with no car. cheapest on creglist here is 600$ and i dont know how to use penswoods.
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeOctober 18th 2018, 1:53 pm

there's a guy that has two of them for sale on craiglist here, ones an ss15 the other a ss14 with decks, he wants 800 for both, the 14 has no engine, every sears I've seen here was over 500, I was shocked when my brother sent me the ad for this one, he wanted 150, I contacted him offering 100 he accepted and I spent the last of my cash buying it, it does need work, the dash is busted up, the grill is cracked at the mount and a tire keeps going flat, but the engine runs good and the transaxle works as does the high low so i'm happy.
Back to top Go down
RockeyDA
Established Member
RockeyDA
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeOctober 18th 2018, 2:04 pm

when i got my 990 for 100$ one side had a flat 28" turf  saver, the other side had a random worn bald car tire on it
sadly the fender on 1 side was removed to make the car tire fit and it did not come with the tractor when i bought it.
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeOctober 18th 2018, 6:42 pm

I was checking out the thread on that, pretty cool tractor if you can get the shaft off and get another engine on it, be a monster with the hydro and a set of 33s on the back
Back to top Go down
RockeyDA
Established Member
RockeyDA
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeOctober 18th 2018, 7:18 pm

Tanks! when i get up tmorrow im going to try and pound out that thing i thought is a set screew, looking at my own close up i see no evidence of threads, i think that was just a cold metal rod dropped in a hot pully to make a seal.

im catching up on all your progress (i hate reading) and heads up on the dock locker, i personally shared key stock quite easily. i currently have a guy helping me out with that, quite slowly but free as no speed limit. im having him cut a second keyway at a 90 deg off set in my hub and my axle, doubling the amount of keystock i have.

you might not have the problems i did. im a really aggressive driver, i stomp the gas, i pop wheelies, i roll my tractors, i break things, and i love every second of it.

cought up more
i have had a really hard time finding OHV motors for cheep. arround here cheep= 18hp briggs oppy +-2hp
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeOctober 18th 2018, 7:31 pm

I got lucky and a buddy gave me a couple cut off wheels, just cheap harbor freight wheels but they worked and I got the frame i'm using for the extension cut, I removed just enough of it to fit over the murray chassis and have plenty of space to lengthen or shorten it as needed and bolt the two chassis together, I changed my mind on using the craftsman frame since I stripped down my murray gt today and discovered it had an actual frame under it and it wasn't a pan frame like I thought, it is stamped and bent steel with the end plate for the hitch welded on, it's thicker steel than the craftsman was that's why I chose it instead, i'll have to drill holes for mounting, I measured the bed i'm using it's 44inches long, I have the chassis extension set at 22 inches past the rear of the noma frame with the tires on it it should sit right at around 30 inches back with about 12 hanging behind the rear tires
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeOctober 18th 2018, 7:47 pm

RockeyDA wrote:
Tanks! when i get up tmorrow im going to try and pound out that thing i thought is a set screew, looking at my own close up i see no evidence of threads, i think that was just a cold metal rod dropped in a hot pully to make a seal.

im catching up on all your progress (i hate reading) and heads up on the dock locker, i personally shared key stock quite easily. i currently have a guy helping me out with that, quite slowly but free as no speed limit. im having him cut a second keyway at a 90 deg off set in my hub and my axle, doubling the amount of keystock i have.

you might not have the problems i did. im a really aggressive driver, i stomp the gas, i pop wheelies, i roll my tractors, i break things, and i love every second of it.

cought up more
i have had a really hard time finding OHV motors for cheep. arround here cheep= 18hp briggs oppy +-2hp
I have 3 14.5 ohvs sitting idle right now, 1 will be on this. ones going on a mower e plan to sell, it still mows, and undecided what to do with the last, we found a good source for ohvs are junk mtds, 2 of ours came from an mtd and we have less than $100 in both,
here's another update
my mower projects(name changed) - Page 3 44300359-246205016046353-8306953593596936192-n
frame extension not bolted down our anything, i'll need to trim it a little to fit under the noma pan, but not much, the total length when finished will be just over 100 inches, the length as is without the bed is about 88" but that may change depending on what I do with thye frame and if I decide to streatch it more when I fit the bed
Back to top Go down
Crazy_Carl
Veteran Member
Crazy_Carl
Veteran Member

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeOctober 18th 2018, 9:21 pm

Looks like a good wheelbase to me
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeOctober 18th 2018, 10:27 pm

Crazy_Carl wrote:
Looks like a good wheelbase to me
I figure the wheel base to be around 75 to 80 inches, I didn't measure it, the measurements I took are from the forward most point to the back of the rear wheels, I figure with that measurement and the length of the bed that will sit behind the rear wheels which will be somewhere in the 10 to 12 inch range will put it right at about 100 inches total, it's long that's for sure, i'll add plenty of extra bracing, particularly where the three frames come together, one thing for certain it should be pretty strong with the three frames being mounted together and the extra bracing I plan to put in, I think 10 1/2in bolts on either side should be more than enough to hold everything together with no issues, but now I need to make another decision, should I move the noma chassis forward by a couple inches, I would have to cut the hole for my clutch a little longer, but it would solve my hood mounting problem and make my drag link long enough to fit and be used safely, or should I leave it as is, i'm actually leaning toward moving it so I can use my current draglink and only have to replace the rod ends, I think 2 inches would give me plenty of threads on the link, 1 inch more at each end, it won't affect anything else really
Back to top Go down
Crazy_Carl
Veteran Member
Crazy_Carl
Veteran Member

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeOctober 19th 2018, 9:24 am

Moving it forward sounds like a no brainer from what you described.
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeOctober 19th 2018, 6:55 pm

that's exactly what i'll do, I was really just looking for someone else's opinion to confirm what I already thought, this is my 1st major undertaking of this magnitude and i'm still unsure about some of the things I plan or changes I might make, so having a second opinion helps.
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeOctober 19th 2018, 7:10 pm

@SebastianAlbrecht thanks, it's coming along nicely, I don't think i'm doing a bad job for my 1st seriously modified build
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeOctober 20th 2018, 8:32 pm

well sold my little Chinese atv last night, went and bought supplies for rusty today, 24 9/16 x1 1/2 long bolts with nuts and washers, a 10 pack of cutoff wheels and a new step bit, tomorrow I start measuring and drilling and measuring some more and drilling, my plan is to have the chassis totally finished in the next couple days
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeOctober 21st 2018, 3:17 pm

i was just thinking that with the direction this has ended up going it's now in the wrong section, so if one of the admins want to move it to the utility mower section I don't have a problem with that since that's actually what this has become
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeOctober 21st 2018, 7:54 pm

phase one of the chassis is done, the two main sections of frame are centered and mounted together, used the easy method of centering, I grabbed two hunks of wood, in this case a 1x4 and wedged them in between the two frames, I then marked using two of the existing holes on the murray lt frame as guides and drilled, I made the 1st 4 holes a little larger than needed for slight adjustments, but as near as I can tell using a tape measure i'm within a 32nd of an inch of being perfectly centered, even though it's only held together with 4 bolts at the moment it's strong, very strong, i'm about 250 and I jumped up and down on it and it did not budge, maybe planning 24 bolts holding it together is overkill, but then i want it as strong as possible, tomorrow i'll begin the process of getting the chassis ready for the noma pan to be mounted down
Back to top Go down
RockeyDA
Established Member
RockeyDA
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeOctober 21st 2018, 8:03 pm

if your going to have that many bolts, at some point you shod paint the heads different colors than the body, turn your work in to art work. this is going to be sick. im grabbing my pop corn and watching.
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeOctober 21st 2018, 9:49 pm

RockeyDA wrote:
if your going to have that many bolts, at some point you shod paint the heads different colors than the body, turn your work in to art work. this is going to be sick. im grabbing my pop corn and watching.
I thought about that, but they're not going to be seen anyway so only I would know they are there, but there's nothing saying I can't do it anyway, even if i'm the only one who knows about it, technically there's about 30 bolts I planned to use, with 24 of those being in the rear where the 3 chassis comes together, 5 on top on each side and 3 on the side, I planned to cut a strip off the top and bring the sides of the gt frame in where they would bolt to the side of the lt frame, then 4 more each side holding a bracket going from the lt frame to the gt frame to help prevent any kind of sagging I might get with a load on the bed and to relieve some of the vertical stresses on the top bolts, the other 6 bolts would just be along the front section where the noma pan meets the lt chassis, since there won't be any real stress put on these I didn't figure i'd need anywhere near as many bolts to make this section nice and strong , i'm also considering putting the engine plate from the lt back on to help strengthen the front a little more
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeOctober 22nd 2018, 2:06 am

decided i'm not using anywhere near as many bolts as I originally planned to, I put the 3 chassis together tonight and I simply don't see the need, both me and my brother got on it and bounced, it didn't even seem to notice us, I will put in 4 more just for the little extra strength , plus the cross bracing but basically i'm calling the chassis done, if it can handle 500LBS bouncing on it it should be strong enough for just about anything I can throw at it, I did develop one minor issue while moving the noma pan forward, I didn't realize it had a relief in the pan for clutch clearance, now that I've moved the pan that relief is no longer where the clutch is and it hits the pan, so i'm going to have to cut a relief in the pan for the clutch bracket to clear
Back to top Go down
Crazy_Carl
Veteran Member
Crazy_Carl
Veteran Member

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeOctober 22nd 2018, 1:35 pm

progress sounds good, I'm looking forward to more pictures.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   my mower projects(name changed) - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

my mower projects(name changed)
Page 3 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next