All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor

Go down 
+16
mh434
Rustbucket Garage
diddie
mistavp05
CraftsmanQuad19
Double W Cross Ranch
darkside0914
RichieRichOverdrive
SebastianAlbrecht
Creepycrawler
MatthewD
prancstaman
Crazy_Carl
AllisKidD21
MightyRaze
TourMax
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 7 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage
TourMax

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor Empty
PostSubject: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor Icon_minitimeOctober 7th 2018, 9:58 am

Hello all. First post. I'm pretty far along on building this little bugger, so there will be lots of "catch up" posts to get to present day. I'll try to do a couple a day and keep them in chronological order until I get to it's current state.

We recently built our retirement home and we elected to do most of the landscaping ourselves. I'm retiring from helicopter Search and Rescue:

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor 14-wing-cormorant-sar

(that's just a pic I grabbed of the internet)

I'm pretty broken up after 28 years of it. No regrets, I'm getting a pretty good early medical retirement package and it was a life well lived in service of others (even with the scars).

So in order to do our landscaping, I was going to need equipment to do the "heavy lifting" for me. My days of moving 40-50 yards of dirt with a shovel and wheel barrow are long since over.

I looked at renting. Nope, too expensive to have one as much as I needed it and would have to rent one again every time I needed something done.

Looked at buying a utility tractor, too big and waaaay too expensive. Then a CUT, still a bit too big and still too expensive. Even without any attachments. Then a SCUT. Still too much money for my pocketbook, but you could get an attachment or two for the price.

How about used? Nope, everyone wanted 5-10G for anything I could actually get any use out of without having to spend even more money on it.

Started looking at garden tractors. Still in the 3-5G range and mostly only mower decks as an attachment, so I'd still have to spend more money on it for my purposes.

Then I ran across this in the want ads:

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor _5910

200 bucks. Listed as a garden tractor (and called that by Murray), but it's really just a "beefier" lawn tractor. It's kind of a "half step" between lawn and garden tractors. No deck and didn't run. But the price was right.

I went to look at it. 23" rear tires, Peerless 820, butchered wiring harness and had obviously been left out and neglected for far longer than it should have been. Bent and banged up, nearly every panel had a ding or bend. It had been repainted, but at let it wasn't a total hack job. All the same, paint was long since weathered and rusted to just a general mess. PO was thinking of parting it, or chopping it up into something like a mud mower or mower racer. He had lost interest in it as he had several other running GT's.

I turned the engine over by hand. Turned freely, no noises and had compression, at least as much as I would expect by hand turning the cooling screen. Transmission shifted (sloppily) and the gears all seemed to work with the tires jacked off the ground. 200 bucks later, it was in the back of my truck and on the way home.

First order of business was getting it running. I drained the tank and carb and refilled with fresh gas.  Looked like a new air filter, oil was clean and clear and various other parts had been tossed at it, so that was OK. No battery and no solenoid. So I tossed them in. Cranked fine except when it came up against compression stroke, so that was a good sign.

Wiring harness was butchered in what looked like someone's attempt to get it running, but they had just made a royal mess of it. So I went through the whole thing and temporarily fixed what needed to be fixed and chopped out what needed to be chopped out. The safety switches were all butchered,so I cut them out and spliced where needed. I'd do a proper rewire later. I wanted to confirm it would at least run and move under it's own power before spending any more time and money on it.

Hit the key and......VARROOM. Running. Drove it around the yard and all the gears worked.

So I had a decent base to start from.

I planned to build a loader for it, so the next thing to do was build/reinforce the "frame".

To be continued....
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor Icon_minitimeOctober 7th 2018, 10:25 am

Welcome and nice Murray.

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor Sig115PROJECTS:
     Marshal ........93 Craftsman GT6000      
     Red Bandit ...72 Wheel Horse Raider 12
     Dirty Rat........77 Sears Suburban
     Bowser..........01 Murray Widebody LT
     Other projects
Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!
MUT: Murray Utility Tractor Sig214MUT: Murray Utility Tractor Sig314
Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21
AllisKidD21

5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts!
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant
1st Place Build-Off 2019
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2019

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor Icon_minitimeOctober 7th 2018, 11:03 am

Welcome to the forum! Neat old GT you got there, I'm assuming there's an 18hp Briggs opposed under the hood?
Looking forward to seeing more progress for sure!

"This'll either wake you up or put you to sleep forever!"- Red Green         "Whatever you do you should do right, even if it's something wrong." - Hank Hill

- MTD Off-Road Build
      - Ford LT 110 Off-Road Build
      - Craftsman GT 6000 Off-Road Build
       - Sears LT11 Rat Rod Build *2019 Build-Off Winner!*

Garden Tractor Collection: Allis B-110 x2, 710, 716, & 410 - Wheel Horse 655, 953 & 500 Special - Case 444 - Bolens Versamatic, G10 & 1668 Diesel Swapped - Cub 106, 124 & 1000/149 Frankentractor - Ford 120, LGT 125 & 145 - White 1650 Yard Boss - Moto Mower 710-100
Back to top Go down
Crazy_Carl
Veteran Member
Crazy_Carl
Veteran Member

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor Icon_minitimeOctober 7th 2018, 1:04 pm

Welcome to the forum!

In my experience if someone has touched the wiring harness in some way, they usually did it in a hack way unfortunately that makes you think wtf?

Sounds like you have a plan to make a real work horse here. I highly recommend a rear rack for carrying landscaping tools and buckets.
Back to top Go down
TourMax

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor Icon_minitimeOctober 7th 2018, 8:18 pm

On to building a solid frame to build off of. The original frame is not much more than a piece of sheet with the sides bent over. Fine for a lawn mower, not so much for any real work.

First, I chopped the big long (useless) skirt off the back, chopped up an extra 2” receiver I had hanging around and welded the whole contraption together:

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor 41735e10

Then, plated the sides and ends with 3"x 1/4" plate. Boxed it front and rear to hold the winch mount in front and tractor weights front or rear. Also added a front receiver to help move trailers around the property:

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor 3db91110

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor 8d94b310

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor 88250410

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor 66130110

Then I put it back together and got a little use out of it. I used it to drag a pallet over the yard to level out the soil and spread it. Kind of like a poor man's box blade:

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor Fc822310

Alrightly, getting some work out of it. Payback!

Next up, figure out a front loader....

Last edited by TourMax on October 7th 2018, 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

JB_4x4 likes this post

Back to top Go down
TourMax

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor Icon_minitimeOctober 7th 2018, 8:37 pm

So I wanted a front end loader to move material around. Priced out things like pumps, hydraulics and metal.

Ouch, gets expensive real fast!

Time to cruise the want ads again to see what pops up. I run across a 48" ATV plow blade for cheap cheap cheap:

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor 27fa3d10

I couldn't even buy the steel to build it for what I paid. I decided to go from a full front end loader to more of a "front scoop" arrangement.

Then some more 1/4" x 3" flat stock to frame out a bucket and 16 gauge to fill in the voids:

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor 5fdf7710

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor 496ed910

I still needed it to lift a few feet, so I build it to have 30" of clearance at full raise:

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor C7f32c10

That allows me to get it over the sides of my yard trailer so I can move bigger loads than just the bucket alone.

Then got it all finished up a ready for work:

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor 1be3db10

I moved 7 yards of class A gravel with it and it worked well for what it was.

It did, however, expose the worn out front axle as a problem. Flopping around, incredibly hard to turn when loaded, etc.

Well, we can fix that......

JB_4x4 likes this post

Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21
AllisKidD21

5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts!
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant
1st Place Build-Off 2019

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor Icon_minitimeOctober 7th 2018, 8:42 pm

My word you work fast, making the rest of us look like a bunch of slackers! lol!

Seriously though, outstanding fab work! That loader setup is pretty neat. What are you gonna do front axle wise, build a custom one from scratch?

"This'll either wake you up or put you to sleep forever!"- Red Green         "Whatever you do you should do right, even if it's something wrong." - Hank Hill

- MTD Off-Road Build

Garden Tractor Collection: Allis B-110 x2, 710, 716, & 410 - Wheel Horse 655, 953 & 500 Special - Case 444 - Bolens Versamatic, G10 & 1668 Diesel Swapped - Cub 106, 124 & 1000/149 Frankentractor - Ford 120, LGT 125 & 145 - White 1650 Yard Boss - Moto Mower 710-100
Back to top Go down
TourMax

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor Icon_minitimeOctober 7th 2018, 9:05 pm

Well now, what to do about that front axle?

The original was worn through in the kingpins as the OE ones were just plastic inserts. It was worn so bad, the spindles were worn in to the metal sleeves.  To make matters worse, the axle flopped back and forth when riding, when steering, or just putting any kind of force on it at all. At the very least, the pivot pin was worn.

A cast axle would be nice and something "mainstream" would be even better as I could probably order parts for it (IE: bushings, pins, etc) if needed.

I was unlikely to find anything like that locally, so I checked the big auction site. I ran across a John Deere 345 front axle. Cast iron, relatively big, and bushings at all joints/pivots. It also had it's pivot pin, spindles and tie rod still attached:

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor Aa296d10

110 Cdn to my door.

Yoink! Mine!

It arrives in good order and then it's out with the old:

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor 0ced3610

Hmmm, I wonder why the axle was flopping around so much:

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor 35225210

and in with the new:

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor B358b710

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor 56f87a10

i picked up a couple JD front rims for 55 bucks cdn so I didn't have to fool around with bearings, bushings and rims. It will likley get a 4 bolt hub conversion in the future, but these allowed me to get it back to work in the yard for now.

While I was at it, I stretched the wheelbase 8 3/4":

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor C3677b10

Took it for a spin and it's like a totally different tractor! Now it rides nice and smooth over rough terrain and turns easily. The JD axle turns sharper than the old Murray one did, so even with a longer wheel base the turning circle is the same, if not smaller. The steering was easily dealt with; I just cut the original rod and welded in an extension. The pin end on the Murray push rod was the same size as the JD 345 steering arm hole so it just dropped in and bolted up. Got lucky on that one.

Last edited by TourMax on October 7th 2018, 9:09 pm; edited 2 times in total

JB_4x4 likes this post

Back to top Go down
TourMax

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor Icon_minitimeOctober 7th 2018, 9:06 pm

AllisKidD21 wrote:
My word you work fast, making the rest of us look like a bunch of slackers! lol!

Seriously though, outstanding fab work! That loader setup is pretty neat. What are you gonna do front axle wise, build a custom one from scratch?

This is all covering about 3 months of work.

Few more things to come to catch up to current day..... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Veteran Member
prancstaman
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor Icon_minitimeOctober 7th 2018, 9:14 pm

Awesome build. With the added plates on the side should be strong enough to handle a loader. Any plans on how it will work? Electric or Hydraulic?
Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21
AllisKidD21

5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts!
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant
1st Place Build-Off 2019

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor Icon_minitimeOctober 7th 2018, 9:17 pm

TourMax wrote:
AllisKidD21 wrote:

This is all covering about 3 months of work.

Few more things to come to catch up to current day..... Very Happy

Oooh okay, haha. That makes sense. Nice work regardless!

- MTD Off-Road Build

Back to top Go down
TourMax

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor Icon_minitimeOctober 7th 2018, 9:28 pm

My yard is pretty uneven in the back as we border a river. I decided I could use some roll over protection, so I built a ROPS. It would give me a place to mount lights if I wanted and a rear rack if needed.

I couldn't have it fixed height (hang up on trees, door openings, etc), so I built it to fold like commercially available ones:

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor 8dabb910

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor 9fc45010

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor 60dbf510

Then it was time to build a rear rack to carry my yard equipment. Biggest problem was the weed whacker, but easily solved:

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor Fr_40711

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor Fr_40710

I also picked up a set of used tires for the rear since the ones I spooned on there were pretty much bald:

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor 9f466210
Back to top Go down
TourMax

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor Icon_minitimeOctober 7th 2018, 9:29 pm

The tractor will get a belly mower eventually and I've got a 44" craftsman deck waiting to go on. A rear bagger attachment showed up int he want ads for not much money, so I grabbed it:

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor Fr_40712

Some quick fabrication and the MUT becomes a bagger:

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor Fr_40713

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor Fr_40810

I still need to adapt the deck opening to match the chute, but that's easy metal fab for me.

Then, I needed some payback out of the old rig for all the work so far:

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor Fr_40811

Did it's job well. Climbed up and down muddy banks, over stumps and felled logs and carried all my stuff back and forth. Made a great base camp for clearing out some deadfalls, alders and scruff trees.

The carb has troubled me a couple times though. Ive had it apart and rebuilt it (needle, seat, gakets, brass float, fuel pump, etc, etc) but it still insists on being finicky from time to time and all that will make it happy is a total strip down and 60 min soak in the ultrasonic.

The butchered wiring was also getting on my nerves. Not that it was causing problems, just that I knew it was there.

So next up; rewire.....  Smile

Last edited by TourMax on October 7th 2018, 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Veteran Member
prancstaman
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor Icon_minitimeOctober 7th 2018, 9:35 pm

I see, never mind. Electric. You must be still posting. LOL.
Back to top Go down
TourMax

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor Icon_minitimeOctober 7th 2018, 9:56 pm

Well, rewire. If I was going to do it, I was going to do it right.

Body work all came off and wired it nose to tail. All fresh, split loomed for protection. Crimped, soldered and dual layer heat shrink. All the wire disconnects received weatherpack connectors. Dielectric grease all around.

I tossed a cheap set of LED bulbs in the original headlights. The buckets were corroded and rusted, so I cleaned them up and lined them with metalized foil tape:

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor 6b763c10

Not bad, works pretty good for area worklighting.

Took the time to clean up the battery area. I added a 6 place ATO fuse block in order to cover the two circuits I had (Start and lights). Then mounted a pos gang block to feed all the ATO pos side (for future expansion) and mounted the winch circuit breaker gang in an old monster cable junction box.

The alternator passed all it's meter tests, so no need to do anything more there.

The starter was pulled off and gone through. In good shape inside, so it was just clean the commutator, clean the internals, and back together. Cables were tossed out and new 4 gauge cables were added for the battery to the starter for both pos and neg. All the other battery cables were also tossed for 4 gauge cables. All crimped and soldered.

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor Fr_41010

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor Fr_41011

Last edited by TourMax on October 7th 2018, 10:50 pm; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
TourMax

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor Icon_minitimeOctober 7th 2018, 10:27 pm

Switches.

I needed switches.

I also needed to mount the Tach/hourmeter. That's a nice little unit. Battery and vehicle powered. Clock, tach, volts, hours, and user programmable hour maintenance reminders.

Just spraying switches around the center pedestal where ever they fit wasn't going to cut it.

So I made a "binnacle" for the Tach/hourmeter:

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor Fr_40912

Then a pod for the switches:

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor Fr_40911

And started fitting it all together:

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor Fr_40910

I moved the ignition switch to the binnacle. It's easier for me to use it there and with it always in my sight, I can see if something stupid happens like the key falls out somewhere along the way. Nothing would suck more than to get where I'm going, reach down to turn the tractor off and.....argh! My tethered engine kill switch will go where the ignition switch was originally. The garage door opener will also be mounted in that spot as well.

Not looking too bad so far, I then cut the steering shaft and added 2 inches to it. Fits me better and gets the wheel up enough so it doesn't cover the gauges or switches. While I was at it, I glued up some large split loom to cover the steering shaft and photochopped up a new wheel center logo. The old center was just a piece of corroded aluminum, the original logo had long since been worn away. I wanted something fun and this fit the bill. I just printed it, glued it on and then covered it with clear packing tape:

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor Fr_41013

The Tach/hourmeter is backlt when power is on (IE:acc) and off when not running. The first switch is for the headlights, the red one you see is a "master kill" for the winch. When the switch is off, you can't activate the winch:

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor Fr_41012

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor Fr_41014

I needed a "kill" for the winch because I added a couple 4 way joystick switches to control it:

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor 7f4b2210

This makes it much easier to run the front bucket. I can steer with one hand and lift/lower the bucket with the other like a hydraulic loader. But it also makes it very easy to bump the joystick by mistake and that 3000 lb winch has enough power to bend/break things if it runs when it's not supposed to (IE; no bucket installed and cable stowed). The bucket will also eventually get an actuator that will let me curl it, so the currently unused 2 axis's on the front stick will run that. The rear stick is for a rear lift actuator for the eventual rear 3 point hitch.

I've got a third stick to install and that will run the snowblower attachment I'm going to look at tomorrow:

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor 37206610

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor 37335610

And that brings us up to today. the only thing I don't have a picture of is, arguably, the most important addition: the coffee cup holder in the RH control stick pod!

LOL!

Last edited by TourMax on October 7th 2018, 11:03 pm; edited 4 times in total

JB_4x4 likes this post

Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Veteran Member
prancstaman
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor Icon_minitimeOctober 7th 2018, 10:40 pm

WOW!! Very nice.
Back to top Go down
Crazy_Carl
Veteran Member
Crazy_Carl
Veteran Member

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor Icon_minitimeOctober 8th 2018, 12:45 pm

This is blowing my mind! Itt nice to see someone who knows what they’re doing when it comes to wiring a tractor.

@TourMax so where did you get that hour meter/ tachometer? how hard was it to hook up and how well does it work?
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor Icon_minitimeOctober 8th 2018, 2:34 pm

Excellent work on the Murray GT!

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor Sig115PROJECTS:
     Marshal ........93 Craftsman GT6000      
     Red Bandit ...72 Wheel Horse Raider 12
     Dirty Rat........77 Sears Suburban
     Bowser..........01 Murray Widebody LT
     Other projects
Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!
MUT: Murray Utility Tractor Sig214MUT: Murray Utility Tractor Sig314
Back to top Go down
MatthewD
Veteran Member
MatthewD
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor Icon_minitimeOctober 8th 2018, 3:29 pm

Very nice work! You have great fabrication and electrical skills Wink
Back to top Go down
Creepycrawler
Established Member
Creepycrawler
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor Icon_minitimeOctober 8th 2018, 4:09 pm

Wow, mind blown, very nice work on all parts, with a particular attention to wiring, Im as guilty as the next guy with my tractor wiring, but its very refreshing to see it done so well. also I think im stealing your front bucket design, I really like it.
Back to top Go down
TourMax

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor Icon_minitimeOctober 8th 2018, 5:40 pm

Well, nice day today but the chill is in the air; winter is coming.

The wedding has begun between the 42” MTD snowblower and the MUT:

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor C856ab10
MUT: Murray Utility Tractor 0c699510

Blower was in better shape than the pictures revealed, so I grabbed it for 350.  Not a screaming deal, but fair for what it is and comparable units for sale.

Data label is long gone, but some googling and comparing pictures reveals it’s an MTD 190-032-101. Luckily, the manual for it is available in pdf download. So I downloaded it, printed it and toosed in the big binder of yard equipment I keep.

Right now I’m fitting the undercarriage pulley pack to the MUT. Its the pita part where you get everything level and square before welding. Pulley and belt geometry also has to be worked out. Couple more brackets to weld and the pulley pack will be mounted.

The frame brackets are a bit of a problem. The width is right for my frame, but the loader bucket brackets are welded on the outside of the frame, which makes it 1/2” too wide to fit the blower. I’ll either have to cut them off and butt weld them to the bottom ofthe frsme or weld them to the inside.

Butt weld would be cleaner, lap weld inside soukd be stronger. Have to think on it for a while...

The blower is for a tractor with power PTO and mine is manual. Right now I’m sussing out a rockshaft design in my head to get around the electric PTO setup.
Back to top Go down
TourMax

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor Icon_minitimeOctober 8th 2018, 8:45 pm

Whew! Lot of work to locate and weld what is essentially 4 tabs. But its in and drops off with the pull of 4 hairpin clips:

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor 97125110
MUT: Murray Utility Tractor 4fca9710

Next up; mount the blower on the front of the tractor.

I am going to need a blower drive belt though. Since my wheelbase is stretched 8 3/4”, the belt that came with the thrower is just that amount too short...
Back to top Go down
TourMax

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor Icon_minitimeOctober 9th 2018, 5:13 am

Crazy_Carl wrote:
This is blowing my mind!  Itt nice to see someone who knows what they’re doing when it comes to wiring a tractor.

@TourMax  so where did you get that hour meter/ tachometer?  how hard was it to hook up and how well does it work?

Cant rightly remember. It might have been Amazon.

Its made by Searon, although I cant remember the model number. Google “tachometer hourmeter Searon” in images and it shoukd show up.

Edit: this is the one I have - crap, forum won’t let me post a link. Go to searon-tec dot com and look up “SRT-28 Multi-function tach/hour meter waterproof”.

Its a 5 wire hookup: bat +, acc +, two grounds and one wire that wraps around a spark lead. Pretty easy. Theres also a 2450 button battery.

Instructions are pretty cryptic (chinese translation).

I had to hook up bat + and acc + in reverse order to get the backlight to work properly. If hooked up like the instructions say, the backlight is always on. At least it was on mine. I bought this a while ago (bought a couple, put one in my argo and shelved the others) so they might have fixed that by now.

Programming it was also cryptic. I ran across a  buyer comment on amazon about it that made it easier to program.

Works fine. Its mainly for rpm for me, although the clock and hourmeter are a nice bonus.
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor
Page 1 of 14Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 7 ... 14  Next