All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum!
2019 Build Off Underway!

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
AuthorMessage
TourMax
Skilled
Skilled

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 03, 2019 6:51 pm

Door #2:

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 10 3fb00810
MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 10 B1c77610

Not too bad for something that ised to be a junked screen door!

Now to finish up the other openings, give it a coat of red paint (or black, haven't decided) and we’re ready for snow!

Smile
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
Administrator
MightyRaze

Forum Rep : 419

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 03, 2019 8:26 pm

Something I see the guys over in other forums do is a fan to help keep the window from fogging up.  Any plans for something like that or a light inside?

Li'l Red Murray
Li'l Red 2.0

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 10 Admins10
Back to top Go down
http://mightyraze.com
TourMax
Skilled
Skilled

Forum Rep : 11

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2019 10:47 am

@MightyRaze wrote:
Something I see the guys over in other forums do is a fan to help keep the window from fogging up.  Any plans for something like that or a light inside?

Yep. I’ve got a couple small 12v fans for the front and rear window. As long as you keep airflowing over the goass, it won’t (or shouldn't) fog up.

I’m also working on a way to pull some engine heat into the cab to make it a touch more comfortable.

Since it’s an air cooled engine, you woukd think a “heater muff” would be the way to go. Thats a shroud used on the exhaust of air cooled aircraft. I don’t particularly like that idea. Works fine on light aircraft, but they’re under a rigid inspection cycle so you don’t get exhaust gas from a leak into the cabin.

I’m thinking of building a “port” on the engine cylinder shrouds to take warmed air away to the cabin. It I use the shroud on the opposite side as the side the exhaust is on, I should be pretty ssfe from CO concerns. Also, by using the cooling air off the cylinders, i may be aboe to a oid using a fan to draw the air to the cab, just some ducting and a valave to shut off the flow when I don’t want/need it.

I already have a small LED light attached to the ROPS, functions as a dome light for when it’s dark and hard to see controls. It’s not super bright, just enough to be able to see the dash switches.

Today, it will be the shrouds at the front of the cab and maybe start the roof if I still have some time left in the day...
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
Administrator
MightyRaze

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2019 2:13 pm

Definitely one of my most favorite utility builds out there.  Keeps me wondering what you are going to plan for the Murray yet.

Li'l Red Murray
Li'l Red 2.0

Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran
CraftsmanQuad19

Forum Rep : 116

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2019 2:22 pm

Could wrap some copper tubing around the cylinders with a small water pump and small heater core. That would allow you to cool the engine somewhat too, using the heater core as a small radiator. I’ve thought of doing it before as a liquid cooled conversion but couldn’t justify the weight gain or the cost
Back to top Go down
TourMax
Skilled
Skilled

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2019 10:13 pm

Made some good progress today:

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 10 69f16110
MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 10 9fd87310
MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 10 0e491a10

I’m into the home stretch now. Cut the windows for the two rear 1/4’s and put the roof on, then it’s on to some finishing details and finish up with paint. I’m going to go with “fire red” Tremclad, same as the rest of the tractor bodywork.

Should be pretty “luxurious” this winter!

Lol!
Back to top Go down
TourMax
Skilled
Skilled

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 06, 2019 8:21 pm

Gettin’ there:

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 10 8ccff710
MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 10 572b4010

Door latches are on, roof is on, installed two high mounted flood lights and built a diamond plate visor. The visor serves a double purpose in that it covers the open space above the windshield glass (well, it looks kinda neat too!).

Tomorrow, I’ll build some “gutters” for the sides and maybe get it all into a fresh coat of red paint.

Then it’s just some small details like wiring up a couple fans and some foam strips to seal up the doors.

Smile
Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran
RichieRichOverdrive

Forum Rep : 89

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 07, 2019 6:58 pm

Too bad you don't have the big shrouds that some oppys had. Funnels the heat right in one direction. Although its a bit hard to separate from the exhaust, it'd make your idea a lot easier. I have both a horizontal and vertical shaft with these shrouds, I think they're the same.

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 10 Img_5110
Back to top Go down
TourMax
Skilled
Skilled

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 07, 2019 7:05 pm

@RichieRichOverdrive wrote:
Too bad you don't have the big shrouds that some oppys had. Funnels the heat right in one direction. Although its a bit hard to separate from the exhaust, it'd make your idea a lot easier. I have both a horizontal and vertical shaft with these shrouds, I think they're the same.

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 10 Img_5110

Ah, I see an Argo in that pic.

The Kohler in mine has the same shroud.

It will be easy enough to pull heat off the briggs the same way.Just takes a little fabbing and welding.
Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran
RichieRichOverdrive

Forum Rep : 89

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 07, 2019 7:08 pm

Yeah, I think it said something about an Argo where i got that pic from on google. Looking forward to what you come up with, fan shroud mods aren't that common, especially not adding more to them.
Back to top Go down
TourMax
Skilled
Skilled

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 07, 2019 7:22 pm

@RichieRichOverdrive wrote:
Yeah, I think it said something about an Argo where i got that pic from on google. Looking forward to what you come up with, fan shroud mods aren't that common, especially not adding more to them.

Easy peasy. Cut a hole in the shroud (below the cylinder), add a sheet metal "stub", then a hose from the stub back to the cabin. Add a fan or shutoff valve as required.

Smile
Back to top Go down
TourMax
Skilled
Skilled

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 12, 2019 8:14 pm

First coat of paint:
MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 10 42ea1710
MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 10 7874d710

The side windows look “hazy” because they still have their protective shipping coating. Once I’m done painting, I’ll peel it all off for the last time I didn’t see much sense in pulling it all off before paint and then having to go back and tape it all off.

If you look closely, you’ll see there’s a “brow” on the front and back. They're not there as sun shades, they’re there to stop snow from blowing into the cab. I left about a 2-3 inch opening above the front and rear window in order to let air out and help alliviate “fogging” issues. If it becomes a problem with wind and/or cold getting in, I’ll just make a hinged flap I can open and close for them. The “brow” on the sides just extends the roof out past the door tops and cab side so any melt drips off and goes right to ground instead of finding its way inside.

What you can’t see is the adjustable rubber stops I added to each door so they don’t bang around and the bungee cords that keep the door from swingjng wide open in the wind and afford a little bit of a “self closing” feature.

Not bad for a bunch of “cast off” stuff. Not too bad at all!

Smile

Last edited by TourMax on Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
Administrator
MightyRaze

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 12, 2019 11:22 pm

I like it a lot. Is there glass in the lower panels too?

Li'l Red Murray
Li'l Red 2.0

Back to top Go down
TourMax
Skilled
Skilled

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 13, 2019 7:27 am

@MightyRaze wrote:
I like it a lot.  Is there glass in the lower panels too?

If you are refering to the doors, then no. Thats aluminum and painted red.

I thought about doing that part in plexi too, but when I sat in the cab the floorboards block most of that area. So I saved the money it would have cost to buy enough plexi and just reused the screen door lower panels.

They really don’t cover anything I would need to see and it saved me about 100 bucks.

If I ever change my mind in the future, the aluminum panels just pop out and a peice of plexi will pop right in.

Smile
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
Administrator
MightyRaze

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 13, 2019 10:06 am

Not to mention the aluminum is probably lighter than the plexi.

I'm sorry I should have clarified.  I was talking about the lower front pieces.

Li'l Red Murray
Li'l Red 2.0

Back to top Go down
TourMax
Skilled
Skilled

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 13, 2019 12:06 pm

@MightyRaze wrote:
Not to mention the aluminum is probably lighter than the plexi.

I'm sorry I should have clarified.  I was talking about the lower front pieces.

If you mean the cab front lowers, they have windows in them so I can see where the front tires are:

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 10 08377010
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
Administrator
MightyRaze

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 13, 2019 12:34 pm

I totally missed that.  Didn't scroll back up far enough.  What do you guess the overall weight of the cab would be?  I bet it will help some with traction.

Li'l Red Murray
Li'l Red 2.0

Back to top Go down
TourMax
Skilled
Skilled

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 13, 2019 9:00 pm

@MightyRaze wrote:
I totally missed that.  Didn't scroll back up far enough.  What do you guess the overall weight of the cab would be?  I bet it will help some with traction.
Maybe 30-40 lbs. Most of that weight would be the glass and wood. The frame and doors are very light. I can carry the doors around with a couple fingers, but could probably do it with one finger if I got it balanced.

Traction weight isn’t a problem. 6 cast iron suitcase weights on the back and each rim has a concete wheel weight in it. Plus, there’s also my 200 lb butt in the seat.....lol!

Last edited by TourMax on Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TourMax
Skilled
Skilled

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 13, 2019 9:06 pm

Heres a couple pics of the “bungee return system” and door strikes:

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 10 63180210
MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 10 4620d910
Back to top Go down
TourMax
Skilled
Skilled

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2019 10:26 pm

Took a little time today and added a “backup camera”:

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 10 5a1dec10

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 10 6a2b7910

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 10 C8829010

Nice! Now I won’t have to try and twist my broken back and neck around to see behind the tractor when plowing.

The “lane lines” are internal to the camera itself. They look a little messed up because instead of it pointing out the back, I have it pointing straight down so I can get an accurate view of the distance to whatever I’m backing up towards.

It’s all Surplus bits I had lying around. The camera and monitor are ebay pieces I picked up years ago for a song and have been lying around ever since. Seems like a good way to finally get them off my parts shelves!

Smile
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
Administrator
MightyRaze

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2019 1:01 am

Nice upgrade! I bet that will come in handy.

Li'l Red Murray
Li'l Red 2.0

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 10 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor
Page 10 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10