All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

hydrostatic transaxle faster

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
murray_man

hydrostatic transaxle faster Empty
PostSubject: hydrostatic transaxle faster   hydrostatic transaxle faster Icon_minitimeOctober 14th 2018, 5:25 pm

I mostly hear bad things about hydrostatic transmissions like how you can't pulley swap them and stuff. So I was wondering if there is anyway to make a hydrostatic transaxle have a bit more speed
Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21
AllisKidD21

5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts!
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant
1st Place Build-Off 2019
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2019

PostSubject: Re: hydrostatic transaxle faster   hydrostatic transaxle faster Icon_minitimeOctober 14th 2018, 5:45 pm

From my experience, hydroatatic transaxles are not actually "bad" per se, and most people that say they are just junk are misinformed.

They do however comsume more engine power than a geared transaxle and as you said they don't allow for any increase in input speed. Pretty much all you can do is but some bigger tires on the rear to get a slight speed gain.

In my opinion it's not really worth trying to get too much speed from a hydrostatic tractor anyways due to the engine braking you will get when you push the clutch in at high speeds. Instead of rolling to a stop like a geared transaxle would allow, it would jerk to a stop instantly. Not really ideal.

"This'll either wake you up or put you to sleep forever!"- Red Green         "Whatever you do you should do right, even if it's something wrong." - Hank Hill

- MTD Off-Road Build
      - Ford LT 110 Off-Road Build
      - Craftsman GT 6000 Off-Road Build
       - Sears LT11 Rat Rod Build *2019 Build-Off Winner!*

Garden Tractor Collection: Allis B-110 x2, 710, 716, & 410 - Wheel Horse 655, 953 & 500 Special - Case 444 - Bolens Versamatic, G10 & 1668 Diesel Swapped - Cub 106, 124 & 1000/149 Frankentractor - Ford 120, LGT 125 & 145 - White 1650 Yard Boss - Moto Mower 710-100
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2020 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2020 Build-Off Top 3 Winner

PostSubject: Re: hydrostatic transaxle faster   hydrostatic transaxle faster Icon_minitimeOctober 14th 2018, 5:51 pm

it can be pulley swapped on the engine side, that's not saying it's going to do much good, over driving a hydro will most likely destroy it in a short amount of time, in my experience there's only 2 ways to get more speed out of a hydro and make it last, one is bigger tires, not much speed to be gained here but you can get a few mph more depending on the tires size, the other is to relocate the hydro and run a chain drive off the axle shafts to a solid axle that is positioned in the original location, red neck computer geek did a video showing this very thing, from there you can play with the sprockets and gain speed, I personally like a hydro for trail use and light mudding, in my opinion they offer superior control in trails where you have steep hills and rough terrain and would be generally riding at a slower pace
Back to top Go down
Crazy_Carl
Veteran Member
Crazy_Carl
Veteran Member

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: hydrostatic transaxle faster   hydrostatic transaxle faster Icon_minitimeOctober 14th 2018, 8:38 pm

I have mildly pulley swapped a hydro to get more speed successfully.  In shorts trips it was okay but after running it for an hour the hydro unit would overheat and spew fluid out of the vent.  So I went back to my original engine pulley.  Good for slow speed working but not great for speed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: hydrostatic transaxle faster   hydrostatic transaxle faster Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

hydrostatic transaxle faster
Page 1 of 1