All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

Starter tore off, need fix Lend10PortalHomeFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog inDiscordCountdown TimerStarter tore off, need fix Rend10
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum!
2019 Build Off Underway!
2019 Top Tractor Challenge! Aug 17th and 18th! DETAILS HERE!

Starter tore off, need fix

Go down 
AuthorMessage
mrshaft696
Veteran
Veteran
mrshaft696

Forum Rep : 47

Starter tore off, need fix Empty
PostSubject: Starter tore off, need fix   Starter tore off, need fix Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2018 8:25 am

So I had a starter come loose and rip out a bolt, what do you think is the best fix here?

My plan is to get some jb weld for metal, reconstruct it a bit then drill the hole a little deeper and re-tap it.

Starter tore off, need fix Alum_b10
Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21
AllisKidD21

Forum Rep : 195

PostSubject: Re: Starter tore off, need fix   Starter tore off, need fix Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2018 8:57 am

Ooo, yikes. Fail Thread material! Starter tore off, need fix 1098998679

I think your idea sounds right, I would think you should be able to drill a bit further without hurting anything. Do you happen to know someone who could TIG weld the hole shut for you? That'd be the best option really, but an epoxy like JB Weld as you mentioned would probably work fine as well.

- Toro Rat Rod Tractor Build
        - Ford LT 110 Off-Road Build
        - Craftsman GT 6000 Off-Road Build
        - John Deere 110 Basic Off-Road Build
        - Allis B- 110 - Wheel Horse 655 - Case 444 - Bolens Versamatic
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
Administrator
MightyRaze

Forum Rep : 367

PostSubject: Re: Starter tore off, need fix   Starter tore off, need fix Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2018 12:59 pm

Yikes, that does not look good. If you use JB weld, make sure you use the stronger one. I don't remember if it is the Red or Yellow one. CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN any oil on the surface and it will fail quickly.

Li'l Red Murray
Li'l Red 2.0

Starter tore off, need fix Admins10
Back to top Go down
http://mightyraze.com
prancstaman
Expert
Expert
prancstaman

Forum Rep : 72

PostSubject: Re: Starter tore off, need fix   Starter tore off, need fix Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2018 8:02 pm

Harbor Freight has that aluminum brazing rod. Plus you can use a MAP torch with it. Fill the hole, then drill and tap. We used the stuff to relocate holes at work. Work pretty good.
Back to top Go down
Crazy_Carl
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran
Crazy_Carl

Forum Rep : 136

PostSubject: Re: Starter tore off, need fix   Starter tore off, need fix Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2018 10:40 am

Maybe you could drill and tap a new hole about a 1/4 lower, but you'd have to check if you could drill a new clearance hole 1/4 lower in the starter bracket.  My guess is not but it's an idea.
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Apprentice
Apprentice
darkside0914

Forum Rep : 7

PostSubject: Re: Starter tore off, need fix   Starter tore off, need fix Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2018 11:16 am

my suggestion would be to braze and retap or put a stud in and braze it in place, otherwise put on a pull start and forget the electric start, I honestly don't think jb weld would hold up very long but I've never used the high strength stuff just the regular formula
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Starter tore off, need fix   Starter tore off, need fix Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Starter tore off, need fix
Page 1 of 1