All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

Project : Argoceptor! - Page 4 Lend10PortalHomeFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog inDiscordCountdown TimerProject : Argoceptor! - Page 4 Rend10
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum!
2019 Build Off Underway!
ATLTF sticker shipments will resume soon! View them here, and keep up to date!
Haspin Acres Rally 2019 June 5th - 9th... Join this growing event! Details Here!
2019 Top Tractor Challenge! Aug 17th and 18th! DETAILS HERE!

Project : Argoceptor!

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
TourMax
Apprentice
Apprentice

Project : Argoceptor! - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project : Argoceptor!   Project : Argoceptor! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2019 9:55 pm

Well, no turning back now:

Project : Argoceptor! - Page 4 61fc7910

Project : Argoceptor! - Page 4 3ef0f610

Project : Argoceptor! - Page 4 30827510

After trying multiple times to reshape the plastic, I’ve decided to just slice it right off. I’ll make the grill part of the hood and fiberglass the sides to blend it to the cut opening. I can get a much smoother and finished look that way instead of trying to reshape the plastic.
Back to top Go down
TourMax
Apprentice
Apprentice

Forum Rep : 8

PostSubject: Re: Project : Argoceptor!   Project : Argoceptor! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2019 9:08 pm

Working it, getting closer:

Project : Argoceptor! - Page 4 E5380c10

Project : Argoceptor! - Page 4 61809f10

it will move back a little bit from where it is in those pics and it may lean back a lot more, but thats getting pretty close to the finished form.
Back to top Go down
TourMax
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Project : Argoceptor!   Project : Argoceptor! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2019 7:08 pm

rear carrier/outboard mount is coming along nicely:

Project : Argoceptor! - Page 4 Fr_47412

Project : Argoceptor! - Page 4 Fr_47411

I'm going to make up a plate that will fit in the space where the outboard currently is so when the outboard isn't mounted, the entire rear carrier just becomes storage space.

Tomorrow I'll either build the outboard sliding mount or the front brush guard. Not sure which I want to work on next.

It will likely be the front brush guard because I'm still working out some details on the outboard mount in my head right now.....
Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21
AllisKidD21

Forum Rep : 169

PostSubject: Re: Project : Argoceptor!   Project : Argoceptor! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2019 7:21 pm

Nice work! The checker plate is a nice touch!

- Toro Rat Rod Tractor Build
        - Ford LT 110 Off-Road Build
        - Craftsman GT 6000 Off-Road Build
        - John Deere 110 Basic Off-Road Build
        - Allis B-110, Case 444, WH 655, Bolens Versamatic -
Back to top Go down
TourMax
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Project : Argoceptor!   Project : Argoceptor! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2019 6:51 pm

Built the "brush guard" today:

Project : Argoceptor! - Page 4 Fr_47511

Project : Argoceptor! - Page 4 Fr_47510

That's a good start. Please ignore the sloppy welds. I was having trouble with the spool gun jamming and it burned through in places. I had to try and fill the holes with weld so it look pretty ugly in some places. I'll sand it smooth later on when I'm doing the finishing work. Spool gun contact tip was a 0.35 and the wire is 0.35, so when it got some heat in it it dragged too much. I had to open the tip up to a 0.45 to get it flowing well again.

Still to build: winch mount and supports, a "deflector" to keep water from splashing up an into the grill when entering the water. The deflector is nothing complicated, just a plate across the front that is angled forward so when the water/splash comes up when entering rivers, ponds, etc, it's prevented from just rushing in through the grill opening. Once floating, the water is below the body line and the grill is well up and out of the water.
Back to top Go down
TourMax
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Project : Argoceptor!   Project : Argoceptor! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2019 8:21 pm

Decided I didn’t like the thought of how it is going to look with the fiberglass hood coming down to cover the openings on the sides of the new grill. So I took some of the scrap hdpe plastic, cut to fit, heated it to form (oven at 275 for 10 minutes) and bonded to the hull with some plastic welding.

Went from this:

Project : Argoceptor! - Page 4 B2449910

To this:

Project : Argoceptor! - Page 4 E5460710

Project : Argoceptor! - Page 4 1b2c1a10

Ah, much better! A little more shaping, some clean up work and it will almost look factory. The hood can now be shaped to come forward nice and flat. Well, there will still be a little contouring for aesthetics, but it will look much more integrated now.

Smile
Back to top Go down
TourMax
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Project : Argoceptor!   Project : Argoceptor! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2019 5:11 pm

More plastic welding/shaping and built the radiator upper mount:

Project : Argoceptor! - Page 4 Fr_47611

Project : Argoceptor! - Page 4 Fr_47610

Nice. I like it!

Next up is to build the lower rad mount and then I think I'll go back and finish building the hood.
Back to top Go down
TourMax
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Project : Argoceptor!   Project : Argoceptor! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2019 4:11 pm

Well, I'm considering pulling the V4 engine back out and putting the Kohler 18hp magnum back in.

Let me explain; it's not that I can't or don't want to do the V4 swap any longer, it's more about not being able to get it done this year.

The thing is, I've got lots of projects on the go right now. The result is nothing moves very fast in the progression to finished. The Argo itself has a lot of modifications on the go. Right now, I'd prefer it doesn't become one of those projects that hangs around for a couple years and takes up space because I can't use it.

So I'm thinking of putting the Kohler back in so I can at least have a little fun with the rig this summer. It will still be loud, it will still be slow and it will still be hot. But I will be able to go bash around the trails a bit and enjoy it for what it is. There's still lots of things to finish and swapping the Kohler back in will allow me to focus on the other things already in progress.

Plus, I can build the suspension pieces while I am still bombing around in the Argo. The suspension is a lot of work welding parts up in a jig, so that can be done off the machine and (hopefully) bolted on in a weekend when it's finished.

Once everything else is done, I can get back to the V4 and concentrate on just the engine swap as the rest of the Argo will be done.

It's currently just a thought, but it's one that seems to make sense at the moment. I'd like to get a little payback from it this summer instead of just staring at it in the garage and working on it....
Back to top Go down
TourMax
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Project : Argoceptor!   Project : Argoceptor! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2019 9:04 pm

Deed is done:

Project : Argoceptor! - Page 4 Da39e010
Project : Argoceptor! - Page 4 F1cce310
Project : Argoceptor! - Page 4 F020cb10

V4 out, opposed twin kohler back in.

I had to weld up the engine tray to mount the kohler back in there, but that was an easy iob. I kept the pieces I cut out to mount the v4 so it was just clean up the metal and mig it back in place.

I also took the opportunity to tart up the engine and transmission with some cleaning and fresh paint.

Now I can focus on finishing up the other projects on the Argoceptor and maybe have a little fun with it this summer.

Smile
Back to top Go down
mowerjunkie03
Apprentice
Apprentice
mowerjunkie03

Forum Rep : 12

PostSubject: Re: Project : Argoceptor!   Project : Argoceptor! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 12:25 am

Looks great I'm loving this build! Suspension will be badass if you do it. Those Kohler Magnums are bullet proof and you could probably get alittle more rpm out of it. Maybe you mentioned it earlier and I missed it but why did you decide against the V4?
Back to top Go down
TourMax
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Project : Argoceptor!   Project : Argoceptor! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:54 am

@mowerjunkie03 wrote:
Looks great I'm loving this build! Suspension will be badass if you do it. Those Kohler Magnums are bullet proof and you could probably get alittle more rpm out of it. Maybe you mentioned it earlier and I missed it but why did you decide against the V4?

Too many projects on the go. With the magnum back in, I can concentrate on finishing the rest and get a little use (ie:fun) out of it this summer. I’ll revisit installing the V4 when it’s the only thing I have to work on.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Project : Argoceptor!   Project : Argoceptor! - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Project : Argoceptor!
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4