All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Craftsman Trail Rig

Go down 
+8
SebastianAlbrecht
mrshaft696
biggasmowers
CraftsmanQuad19
Crazy_Carl
MightyRaze
AllisKidD21
mowerjunkie03
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
mowerjunkie03

craftsman - Craftsman Trail Rig - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Craftsman Trail Rig   craftsman - Craftsman Trail Rig - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 30th 2019, 11:15 pm

Well thats interesting because I used to run it around 3 for any thick stuff but my welds were always pretty cold and did not melt the base metal well.(This may be caused by poor prep work. Sometimes I get lazy about that.) I posted some pics on Instagram when I reinforced my spindles and a few people mentioned that I should turn my wire speed down and slow down. I've actually had alot of success welding like that. I need to experiment some more with it though. I feel like the low quality of the welder affects how much heat it can put down. I have seen way better come from a Lincoln 110. But I know a mower modder on Instagram who runs his Chicago 125 at one as well.
Back to top Go down
mowerjunkie03
mowerjunkie03

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman Trail Rig   craftsman - Craftsman Trail Rig - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 30th 2019, 11:20 pm

Also it never sputters it is pretty consistent as well. FearlessFront has a Lincoln 110 and he mentioned that he never turns his up over 2. But I'll experiment with some well prepared metal at speed 1, 2, 3, and 4 and see what my best result is. I weld with a Millermatic 252 at school and thats alot more straight forward because you can actually but it at what is says for the thickness and it welds great.
Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Veteran Member
prancstaman
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman Trail Rig   craftsman - Craftsman Trail Rig - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMay 1st 2019, 12:58 am

Sounds like a plan. You mentioned cold welds. To see if you are getting the right heat into the part, after welding turn the part over to see back side. The heat zone should be light blue. The color is a sign of how hot it gets. Light blue is the color you are after. One more thing, a clean tip goes a long way. Cut off a piece of welding wire. The end cut will have a bur on it. Remove the torch tip and use the bur to clean out  the hole where the welding wire goes through. This cleans the electrical connection from the power of the welder to the welding wire, which is the job of the tip. Carbon buildup inside the hole gives a bad connection to the wire sometimes. Or if you got a new tip you can put that in instead. You mentioned a cold weld and this would cause that by not all the power getting to the welding wire.
Back to top Go down
mowerjunkie03
mowerjunkie03

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman Trail Rig   craftsman - Craftsman Trail Rig - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMay 17th 2019, 5:28 pm

Well as some of you know I picked up a Sears suburban 12 on Wednesday.

craftsman - Craftsman Trail Rig - Page 3 20190510

The Sears will be taking the place of this build and the Bearclaws I have for this build will be put on the Sears. This mower will be returned to stock for the most part there will be a thread about that at some point as well as a thread for the Sears and my transaxle debacle. Sad to see it go but a Sears is just a better GT to build since I was gonna horizontal swap this thing anyway and Suburbans got way more class.
Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21
AllisKidD21

5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts!
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant
1st Place Build-Off 2019
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2019

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman Trail Rig   craftsman - Craftsman Trail Rig - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMay 17th 2019, 5:59 pm

That's a nice looking unit, still has the removable grille piece intact too!

"This'll either wake you up or put you to sleep forever!"- Red Green         "Whatever you do you should do right, even if it's something wrong." - Hank Hill

- MTD Off-Road Build
      - Ford LT 110 Off-Road Build
      - Craftsman GT 6000 Off-Road Build
       - Sears LT11 Rat Rod Build *2019 Build-Off Winner!*

Garden Tractor Collection: Allis B-110 x2, 710, 716, & 410 - Wheel Horse 655, 953 & 500 Special - Case 444 - Bolens Versamatic, G10 & 1668 Diesel Swapped - Cub 106, 124 & 1000/149 Frankentractor - Ford 120, LGT 125 & 145 - White 1650 Yard Boss - Moto Mower 710-100
Back to top Go down
diddie
diddie

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman Trail Rig   craftsman - Craftsman Trail Rig - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMay 17th 2019, 6:58 pm

nice old school tractor ! what i started on mudding and trail riding about 35 to 40 years ago !!! wow that makes me feel old. But i'm still young at Heart and always will be
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
mowerjunkie03
mowerjunkie03

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman Trail Rig   craftsman - Craftsman Trail Rig - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMay 17th 2019, 9:36 pm

AllisKidD21 wrote:
That's a nice looking unit, still has the removable grille piece intact too!
ya was very happy the nose was in good shape. Go check out the thread for it. More pics there.
Back to top Go down
mowerjunkie03
mowerjunkie03

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman Trail Rig   craftsman - Craftsman Trail Rig - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMay 17th 2019, 9:38 pm

diddie wrote:
nice old school tractor ! what i started on mudding and trail riding about 35 to 40 years ago !!! wow that makes me feel old. But i'm still young at Heart and always will be
I'm so glad I snagged it!! More pics on the thread for it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman Trail Rig   craftsman - Craftsman Trail Rig - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Craftsman Trail Rig
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3