All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog inDiscordCountdown Timer
Swing by the Chatroom anytime! Chat events held every Saturday, 8pm EST - whenever!
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum!
2019 Build Off Underway!
ATLTF sticker shipments will resume soon! View them here, and keep up to date!
Haspin Acres Rally 2019 June 5th - 9th... Join this growing event! Details Here!

Share | 

Dana Spicer hardened gears.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
zlkahn1
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Forum Rep : 0

PostSubject: Dana Spicer hardened gears.   Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:41 pm

Hi all,

I am almost 100 percent sure I stripped the gears in my mower. I am away from town rn but soon I will open her up and take a look. However, in the meantime, I would like to find a source for hardened gears to put in and replace the old ones. Does anyone know where to get them? Does anyone knwo if I can get pre-built race trans axles too? May just throw a new one in.
Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21
AllisKidD21

Forum Rep : 148

PostSubject: Re: Dana Spicer hardened gears.   Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:58 pm

May I ask what makes you think a gear is stripped? Not saying it's not possible, just curious. There is a chance the pinion gear has stripped I suppose.

If you haven't already, I'd be sure to check the woodruff key for the trans pulley, if it shears or falls out the pulley will spin on the shaft.

- Toro Rat Rod Tractor Build
        - Ford LT 110 Off-Road Build
        - Craftsman GT 6000 Off-Road/Workhorse Build
        -John Deere 110 Basic Project
Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Expert
Expert
prancstaman

Forum Rep : 61

PostSubject: Re: Dana Spicer hardened gears.   Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:45 pm

If you want a set of harder gears, you can pull out the originals and have them heat treated. I think they already are hardened though just like the axles. Best way to know is to take a hacksaw and make one cut. If the blade just slides across the surface without cutting then they are hardened steel. If the blade cuts into them then they are regular steel and not hardened.

Racing trans means there are bearing added, grease changed to oil, with new seals to hold the oil. No gearing is changed for stronger ones.
Back to top Go down
zlkahn1
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Forum Rep : 0

PostSubject: Re: Dana Spicer hardened gears.   Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:22 pm

@AllisKidD21 wrote:
May I ask what makes you think a gear is stripped? Not saying it's not possible, just curious. There is a chance the pinion gear has stripped I suppose.

If you haven't already, I'd be sure to check the woodruff key for the trans pulley, if it shears or falls out the pulley will spin on the shaft.

I have yet to crack the trans open but when I put it in gear it no longer moves the wheels at all. When I open it up I will let you know.
Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran
RichieRichOverdrive

Forum Rep : 66

PostSubject: Re: Dana Spicer hardened gears.   Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:32 pm

If there's no obvious grinding, I'd bet that your shift keys are wore out. Could be wrong though. I have a 3 speed foote with a stripped forward side input gear. It was just some sintered crap and was poorly shimmed as well as lubricated.
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Grand Master
Grand Master
CraftsmanQuad19

Forum Rep : 72

PostSubject: Re: Dana Spicer hardened gears.   Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:10 pm

I thought the same thing as rich. Also the splines on the shaft for your final drive could be stripped (rare but has happened), or possibly your input pinion gear or pulley key as AK said.

Is it all gears or just one? Seems unlikely that you’d lose all gears at the same time to me. Must be something simple
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dana Spicer hardened gears.   

Back to top Go down

Dana Spicer hardened gears.
Page 1 of 1