All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

The Murphy Murray Lend10PortalHomeFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog inDiscordCountdown TimerThe Murphy Murray Rend10
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum!
2019 Build Off Underway!
ATLTF sticker shipments will resume soon! View them here, and keep up to date!
Haspin Acres Rally 2019 June 5th - 9th... Join this growing event! Details Here!
2019 Top Tractor Challenge! Aug 17th and 18th! DETAILS HERE!

The Murphy Murray

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Murraymountain
Apprentice
Apprentice
Murraymountain

Forum Rep : 4

The Murphy Murray Empty
PostSubject: The Murphy Murray   The Murphy Murray Icon_minitimeFri Mar 15, 2019 5:48 pm

Well guys, here it is. The one that got me into this stuff.

The Murphy Murray P1100422

That is a picture of how it currently sits. But lets start from the beginning...

So, back in September of 2017, I finally got something to drive (now my "daily driver").

The Murphy Murray P1080010

A nice, free, 2000 something hydrostatic drive Murray widebody. This was my first mower ever. Anyway I got it from a friend who owns our local tractor shop, and the guy who originally had it did not take care of it and it smoked really bad so he gave it to the shop owner and told him he was gonna buy a new one. So after we got it we did a tune up on it and it ran great besides a lot of smoke lol. I didn't really mess with it except for removing the mowing deck. Now it's April of 2018. I guess it all started when me and my grandpa put a cup holder on it. Funny that a cup holder turned it into what it is now.

The Murphy Murray P1080611

And then I started messing with the engine and also stripped the spark plug hole which made me put a helicoil in it so now I can't abuse it too much lol. This is when I really started to learn about engines. Also found out that the smoke was from a blown head gasket (also notice the rims).

The Murphy Murray P1080710

Then it happened. July came around, I went mod crazy and it hasn't stopped yet, but only gained momentum. I worked on it as my main project from July to the last few hours of the year. Here's the stage 1 upgrades (stage 2 hasn't started yet. That will probably be next years build off if I want to do it).

Pull start...
The Murphy Murray P1080711
Tool box (The Murray Box)...
The Murphy Murray P1080712
Toggle switch headlights, hood pins, and temporary bumper guard...
The Murphy Murray P1080713
Lighting upgrade in progress...
The Murphy Murray P1080811
New running and tail lights...
The Murphy Murray P1080810
New headlights, Foot throttle (temporary) + EZ remove hood (look closely)...
The Murphy Murray P1080812
Extra rope (on hood mounts) + Bluetooth speaker (on dash)...
The Murphy Murray P1080910

Then I stopped upgrading for a bit. I forgot why, maybe I needed some money. Who knows.

Couple of off-roading pics...
The Murphy Murray P1100012
The Murphy Murray P1100010
The Murphy Murray P1100011
Modified turfs... (I know. Anything's better than turfs. IDC!)
The Murphy Murray P1100113
Mud flaps in progress...
The Murphy Murray P1100112
Completed mud flaps (Hood is off because I was replacing the muffler)...
The Murphy Murray P1100114
Pulley swap in progress ( I also know that pulley swapping a hydro is a bad idea. Again, I Don't Care!)...
The Murphy Murray P1100115
The Murphy Murray P1100214
Wheel pin sheared off...
The Murphy Murray P1100116
Final bumper guard...
The Murphy Murray P1100117
More running lights, Go pro mounts, cargo holder, rag holder (beside the Murray Box), and a latch on the solenoid door for easy access.
The Murphy Murray P1100215
Replacing the broken hydro fan (I had a deadline for stage 1 which was the end of the year. Well when this pic was taking it was new years eve. Barely made it.)
The Murphy Murray P1100216
it's a New year and she's ready for chaos...
The Murphy Murray P1100217

Now, what have I done since? Well...
The Murphy Murray P1100218
Brother got a lil' stuck  Laughing
The Murphy Murray P1100324
Then me...
The Murphy Murray P1100325
Another day, back at it. "Whoops, got stuck again. That stupid hydro's not fast enough!"  lol!
The Murphy Murray P1100327
After the mud...
The Murphy Murray P1100326
The Murphy Murray P1100328
In the woods...
The Murphy Murray P1100329
Out for a drive...
The Murphy Murray P1100330
Yes! Now it's his turn!...
The Murphy Murray P1100333
Back in the mud...
The Murphy Murray P1100332
The Murphy Murray P1100331
Look closely. See my brothers Murray still in the mud, only mine made it out intact.
The Murphy Murray P1100334
Playin' near the creek...
The Murphy Murray P1100425
The Murphy Murray P1100423
Don't forget mud mowers were also made to be worked...
The Murphy Murray P1100424

And here we are... present day...
The Murphy Murray P1100426

(I am totally sorry about the sideways pics. I use a digital camera and it's about at the end of its life. But if it works it works.)

So, that's that. Any future plans? Oh yes, were just getting started. I was gonna buy an old craftsman from the 80s and do the mods that I'm planning for the Murray to it because I've always wanted one. But no one wants to sell theirs, so I thought, "what am I gonna do with the Murray anyway? Well that's the start of stage 2. But I have the Mountain Murray to work on right now so maybe some time late this year or early next year we'll start on it. Let the plans begin...

So, first and foremost is a tranny swap. Looking for a MST-205. 6 to 4 pulley ratio, left hand shift, locked diff. Maybe some sort of a hand brake.

-Electric horn just for fun

-Tire swap (tractor tread)

-Exhaust (Not sure how to run it yet)

-Gas pedal

-Eventually suspension (whatever I do on the MM)

-Frame, body, and steering column reinforcements

-Snorkel

-T-handle shift knob

-Sep. choke

-wheel bushings

-Maybe a lift

-Hopefully a speedometer, clock, thermometer, and maybe a compass

-Rebuild the brush guard

And then have a good time thrashing it, mudding it, romping it, and running it in every event I can. I might be able to salvage the
beat up hydro and put it in a actual lawn mower. But I'm not jumping to conclusions, it still has a little while before it's thrashing days are over. Well guys it rained all night so I'm gonna go beat on the poor hydro some more.
Back to top Go down

The Murphy Murray
Page 1 of 1