All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog inDiscordCountdown Timer
Swing by the Chatroom anytime! Chat events held every Saturday, 8pm EST - whenever!
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum!
2019 Build Off Underway!
ATLTF sticker shipments will resume soon! View them here, and keep up to date!
Haspin Acres Rally 2019 June 5th - 9th... Join this growing event! Details Here!

Share | 

Hill climbing?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tour1
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Forum Rep : 0

PostSubject: Hill climbing?   Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:17 am

I live on a flat 1/4 acre east of NY City. I bought some vacant property near PA that is all rocks & trees with a steep slope between most of it and the road. I am searching for the machine that can bring stuff up the hill and fit on a small trailer for the ride home. The hill is almost too steep to walk up, like 40 degrees of slope in some places.
If anybody knows what the maximum slope a lawn tractor an climb I'd like to know what it is.
Also, what is a hydrostatic transmission? The transaxles I see here look like manual shift gears.
What tractor is good for towing a small trailer or pushing some gravel around?
How strong is the shear pin on the drive axle? It looks like that and the flats on the axles seem to be everything to handle the torque.
How well do the 2 wheelers climb over rocks?
Why do you guys like the Craftsman mowers? Will anybody support them with Sears stores closing?
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
Administrator
MightyRaze

Forum Rep : 309

PostSubject: Re: Hill climbing?   Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:16 am

Most manufacturers don't recommend traveling up and down more than 15° but, we all get away with more than that.  I will say 40° is pushing the limits.  My rule, if I cannot walk it, I'm pretty sure I can't drive it.

Hydrostatic transmission is a transaxle that has a pump and moves the axle with hydraulic power.  For towing a trailer and pushing some rock, it should be OK,  Some of them are actually rated for ground engaging implements.  Depends on the tractor. 

Shear pin... I'll leave that for the more technical.

Rock climbing, depends on tires and skill.

Not everyone is all about the craftsman's.  As for support, craftsmans are made by either AYP or MTD.  Newer ones are MTD.  They cross over with many other products like Husqvarna.

Li'l Red Murray
Forum Admin ~ Chat Admin ~ Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page
How To Upload Pictures
ATLTF Staff:
Admins: @Doug, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875, @MightyRaze
Mods: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21
Back to top Go down
http://mightyraze.com
Tour1
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

PostSubject: Re: Hill climbing?   Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:07 am

Thanks for the reply!
I work nights, that's where Tour1 comes from, I'm glad you're up late too.
Do you know what the ratios or speeds are for typical stock gear drives on stock tractors?
I expect whatever pulley swaps allow the tractors to go faster could be reversed to make them go slower.
Many tractors for sale have 5 & 6 speeds.
I also see references to 4 wheel drive but haven't seen any lawn tractor size 4 wheelers for sale.
Are there any brands or models that are good for rough terrain?
I started reading and liking threads in the pulling section but I got very tired.
Maybe I'll try again tomorrow night.

Back to top Go down
Double W Cross Ranch
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran
Double W Cross Ranch

Forum Rep : 45

PostSubject: Re: Hill climbing?   Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:29 pm

On the ratio thing, as long as it's a geared Peerless tranny, then the ratios are in this manual:
http://www.wfmfiles.com/download/Tecumseh-Peerless_Motion_Drive_System_-_Transmissions_&_Differentials(691218).pdf
Back to top Go down
https://themagazineishalff.wixsite.com/website
prancstaman
Expert
Expert
prancstaman

Forum Rep : 66

PostSubject: Re: Hill climbing?   Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:18 pm

There are maybe 1 or 2 company's that make an actual 4 wheel drive riding mower but would be pretty big. The 4 wheel drive one's seen here are built from parts from a couple of riding mowers. 4 wheel steer riding mowers, people remove the rear steering transaxle from these and use them as a front transaxle by replacing the original front axle with it and match up the 2 transaxles because they need to be the same, run the belts (usually 2 belts), and sync up the shifters from both transaxles.
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran
mr.modified

Forum Rep : 47

PostSubject: Re: Hill climbing?   Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:30 pm

Hill climbing with lawn tractors is something I try to avoid if possible. Since the seat is so close to the back of the machine and the foot rests usually far forward of the steering wheel, it's hard to stand up and lean forward like on an ATV. My official patented technique is to put my left foot on the seat, right foot on the right foot rest and operating the gas pedal. My left hand steering and my right hand holding the front edge of the hood. Leaning far forward and over the hood as I go. The problem is, if I bounce on too many rocks or get knocked off, the machine is going out of control back down the hill. But at least I can jump away from it when I'm standing on it rather than be sitting on it and stuck for the ride. The lower the better for hill climbing to get the center of gravity down. Rainbowboxer and stretch have pretty much ideal hill climbing machines, although they might get hung up on a few rocks on occasion due to lower ground clearance.

***Simplicity Off Road Research & Development*** #64
Simplicity Adventure Edition
Diesel Submarine Project
Baja Sears Suburban
Modified Briggs Model 5s
ATLTF.COM Race Truck
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Grand Master
Grand Master
CraftsmanQuad19

Forum Rep : 75

PostSubject: Re: Hill climbing?   Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:12 am

Actually their frames are pretty much stock height. The way they lowered the center of gravity is by lowering the seat. Their bumpers is what got them in trouble because their approach and exit angles are so shallow...nothing a little speed won’t fix
Back to top Go down
Tour1
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

PostSubject: Re: Hill climbing?   Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:54 am

Thanks for the info.  I took a look at that transaxle pdf and decided to study it carefully later (seems like it covers everything they ever made).
One version of the big plan is to build a path running diagonally up the hill side.  The narrower the path the mored diagonal it can go without building retaining walls, so a tractor less that 4 feet wide has advantages.
Also the steeper it can climb (I'm thinking lowest gear, at least 500 lbs payload, like 10 cement blocks on a trailer) on a smoothed gravel surface the more directly up the hill it can go.
I'd like to avoid building a DIY cable car.  I'd have to carry its parts up the hill anyway Very Happy
I should add that a lawn tractor new is priced at or below an ATV used.
A used lawn tractor with good options would likely cost what a bad ATV would cost.

Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Grand Master
Grand Master
CraftsmanQuad19

Forum Rep : 75

PostSubject: Re: Hill climbing?   Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:42 pm

Well really, you can look on your local Craigslist or Facebook marketplace for free or cheap mowers. All you need is a solid frame, a transaxle, and an engine. The whole thing can be put together for about 600 bucks or less. Grab a few other free mowers to Rob parts off of and scrap whatever you don’t use
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hill climbing?   

Back to top Go down

Hill climbing?
Page 1 of 1