All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

Thinking about tracks Lend10PortalHomeFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog inDiscordCountdown TimerThinking about tracks Rend10
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum!
2019 Build Off Underway!
2019 Top Tractor Challenge! Aug 17th and 18th! DETAILS HERE!

Thinking about tracks

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tour1
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Forum Rep : 1

Thinking about tracks Empty
PostSubject: Thinking about tracks   Thinking about tracks Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2019 1:51 am

I'm thinking about making tracks for my craftsman project.
It's early, yes, but I want it to have more power.
Also I pulled a toy wagon by hand across some of my rocks & slopes and the wheels tended to get stuck on things.
The effect of tracks is to emulate a much larger diameter wheel, sort of.
They would also make the machine as good as a 4-wheel drive, maybe.
So the problem is expense.
I have been thinking of using oak flooring to make the shoes, what I'm calling the links in the track-chain.
6 inch long pieces of 3/4 by 2-1/4 oak flooring would cost about $0.30 each.
I think 1/2" nylon rope would work well as the chain and hinges that binds the tracks together.
I added up a lot of hardware like angles to hold the tracks on the wheels and u-bolts for the rope.
The cheapest with metal guides was $1.32 per shoe total.
I didn't sketch it but I think guides made from 2x3 lumber would be cheapest and they could be cut to hold the rope hinge too.
Shoes made that way could cost $0.824 per shoe, or $115.36 for a pair of 72" tracks needing 140 shoes.
The front axle wouldn't turn so a variable ratio coupling is needing between left & right sides.
A strong sphere made from a basketball could do that, maybe.
Another sketch shows how tilting the axis of a ball could set the speed ratio between the 2 sides.
The setup shown could turn on a 2 foot inside radius for a 36" wide vehicle, if it works.
Any thoughts, comments, advice?
The images don't show to me, I'll try the link after I post this, sorry in advance.
Thinking about tracks Tracks10
Thinking about tracks B-ball10

Last edited by Tour1 on Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:17 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : trying to load pictures instead of links to google photos)
Back to top Go down
Tour1
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Forum Rep : 1

Thinking about tracks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thinking about tracks   Thinking about tracks Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2019 2:06 am

I made a sketch of a shoe (apparently called a grouser by the wise men) that will use pine 2x3 blocks instead of u bolts or other hardware.  This will be the cheapest way.  I drew the 2x3 blocks with a curve that matches the 10" tire.  It would be quicker to just cut the angle straight and avoid the extra labor.  I'll decide that when it gets made, if ever.

I would / will also put the b-ball drive on the back shelf.  The easiest way to skid steer AFAIK is to make an 8 wheeler with 2 axles between the current ones.  then the front axle (becoming non-steering) will be mounted further forward.  A wood brake shoe mounted on the existing steering axles will rub on and stop the wheel close behind it when the steering wheel is turned in that direction.

These tracks will not be the equivalent of a giant chain saw.
They will be more like a recirculating gadget that continuously puts wood slats in front of the tires.

The nylon rope is stretchy, I think, and there will need to be a tightening event now and then.

(sorry it's late and I forgot how to post an image, but it looks good now).Thinking about tracks Shoe-g10

Last edited by Tour1 on Tue May 14, 2019 2:45 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : trying to load pictures instead of links to google photos)
Back to top Go down

Thinking about tracks
Page 1 of 1