All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

1983 AMC Eagle Wagon... Slow Restoration Project Lend10PortalHomeFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog inDiscordCountdown Timer1983 AMC Eagle Wagon... Slow Restoration Project Rend10
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum!
2019 Build Off Underway!

1983 AMC Eagle Wagon... Slow Restoration Project

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Murraymountain
Master
Master
Murraymountain

Forum Rep : 36

1983 AMC Eagle Wagon... Slow Restoration Project Empty
PostSubject: 1983 AMC Eagle Wagon... Slow Restoration Project   1983 AMC Eagle Wagon... Slow Restoration Project Icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2019 10:57 pm

Hey guys, this is my 1983 AMC (American Motors Corporation) Eagle wagon. Got 'er in December 2015, WAY under priced at $500, and a hand-shake contract. Just needed battery cables and an alternator belt and she fired up.

1983 AMC Eagle Wagon... Slow Restoration Project P1070510

Here she is the day we bought 'er. This guy had 30 cars when we bought this thing...

1983 AMC Eagle Wagon... Slow Restoration Project Dscf0310
1983 AMC Eagle Wagon... Slow Restoration Project Dscf0312
1983 AMC Eagle Wagon... Slow Restoration Project Dscf0311

It has a 4.2L 6 cylinder (straight six), automatic 3 speed tranny, 4 wheel drive, power locks, air suspension, electric seat, A/C. It was pretty much the full package in the 80s. This thing has enough power to spin the wheels. Let me tell you a little about the Eagle and AMC. So, when most people think about AMC, they think about things like Pintos, Pacers, Vegas, and lasting a mere 8 years. This is just about the opposite of what AMC is. AMC was around in the 50s and maybe even the 40s. The Gremlin and Pacer weren't the only things they could put together... Naahh... They built real muscle cars and offroaders like the Rebel Machine and the Javelin, and even the legendary Jeep CJ and Cherokee. They were the real deal. The 70s and 80s gas crisis is what killed them, that's why the Gremlin and Pacer are a part of this world, it was a desperate attempt to stay alive... And they could've fought to stay, but Chrysler bought them out for the Jeep and that was their demise. The Eagle lived from '79 to '88, known for being the first 4WD station wagon to be mass produced. It's really the underdog, very underrated. This thing is a capable vehicle. AMC's false reputation was passed on to the Eagle and everything else made by them at that time. It's a shame is what it is. Anyway, on to this particular one. As she sits now...

1983 AMC Eagle Wagon... Slow Restoration Project P1080310

That Camaro is not ours. This was a car show back in March 2018. Anyway, if I don't forget anything, this is the order we fixed things: First the belt, then oil change, tires, windshield wipers, brakes because there were almost none on it, carb, AND THEN, the tranny gave out, lost all gears except 2nd. Turned what normally was a 45 min drive into a 2 and a half hour limp home. $1000 later, a particular part of the tranny had to rebuilt because the were none around in the whole country. And then if I remember correctly, the alternator mounts broke and broke 3 belts, got that fixed, and I know I'm missing some things, but just recently the compressor was replaced, and now the computer I'm typing on is about to die so that pretty much sums it up. Oh yea, the exhaust and shocks were just replaced too. Right now we're having trouble with the right front wheel. It gets knocked outta wack and wobbles like crazy. Anyway I thought I'd throw my Eagle out there.

Last edited by Murraymountain on Mon May 13, 2019 8:29 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran
CraftsmanQuad19

Forum Rep : 99

PostSubject: Re: 1983 AMC Eagle Wagon... Slow Restoration Project   1983 AMC Eagle Wagon... Slow Restoration Project Icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2019 11:07 pm

Cool old machine for sure! I’ve got a buddy that absolutely loves station wagons. Dailies a 1980 zephyr wagon, wears jeans with a plaid button up with a denim jacket, and smokes a pack a week...and he just turned 18 last week lmao. He would be ALL OVER this thing. He loves i6’s, hates fuel injection, and loves the color brown haha
Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21
AllisKidD21

Forum Rep : 208

PostSubject: Re: 1983 AMC Eagle Wagon... Slow Restoration Project   1983 AMC Eagle Wagon... Slow Restoration Project Icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2019 11:19 pm

You do know what AMC stands for right? - Ain't My Car!!! lol!

In all seriousness, real cool ride you got there! When I think of AMC the Pacer always comes to mind, I can't help it, haha. But like you say they made some great muscle cars too! Like the Javelin, AMX and the Rambler! Don't know too much about the old V-8's they made, but I know there was a 390.

Should be a cool project!

- Ford LT 110 Off-Road Build
       - Craftsman GT 6000 Off-Road Build
       - John Deere 110 Basic Off-Road Build
       - Allis B-110, 710 & 716 - Wheel Horse 655 - Case 444 - Bolens Versamatic - Cub Cadet 106 (Some Assembly Required)
Back to top Go down
Murraymountain
Master
Master
Murraymountain

PostSubject: Re: 1983 AMC Eagle Wagon... Slow Restoration Project   1983 AMC Eagle Wagon... Slow Restoration Project Icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2019 5:38 pm

@CraftsmanQuad19 wrote:
wears jeans with a plaid button up with a denim jacket, and smokes a pack a week...and he just turned 18 last week lmao.

Haha! Sounds like he loves more than just wagons, sounds like he's stuck in the 80s!

@AllisKidD21 wrote:
You do know what AMC stands for right? - Ain't My Car!!! lol!

Yeah yeah. You know it can also stand for "American Muscle Car" right? Hahaha!

The only ones that weren't really any good were probably the Pacer, Gremlin, Spirit, and Matador. The gas crisis ruined them.
Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Expert
Expert
prancstaman

Forum Rep : 74

PostSubject: Re: 1983 AMC Eagle Wagon... Slow Restoration Project   1983 AMC Eagle Wagon... Slow Restoration Project Icon_minitimeSun May 12, 2019 8:12 pm

I love me an AMC!! Got 2 of them Just sitting in my yard. I got me 2 1984 Jeep Grand Wagoners. Yup 2 of them! Drove the gray one for about 20 years. The gold one will take it's place whenever I get it running, but I might decide to just strip it down and rebuild it. The bombed out gray one that I been driving for almost 20 years has- a AMC 360 V8 with custom ignition, ported race heads, aluminum Edelbrock 4 barrel intake with the matching race camshaft, duel exhaust with Cherry Bombs and my mufflers, water/methanol injection, race prepped 4 barrel 750 carb. 300+ hp. Blew the trans in it and decided the body was not worth saving and decided to pull everything off to put on the gold one. The gold one is all stock with 60,000 on the odometer, and the 175hp 360 ci engine. LOL. I got parts just stored to keep atleast one going for another 50 years. 4 engines (360 ci) 2 trans (automatics 727), one 4 speed manual, axles (front and back) drive shafts, electrical, body panels.
1983 AMC Eagle Wagon... Slow Restoration Project 20190512
1983 AMC Eagle Wagon... Slow Restoration Project 20190513

Best bet if you want to keep yours going would be to find yourself a parts car and strip it down for storage, bag and tag everything. Even keep the bolts. I got 2 buckets full of bolts for my jeeps. It pays off, believe me.

The strait 6 AMC used was the Chevy I6, trans would be Chevy also? Those are bullet proof motors, in stock form the bottom end can hold 1000 hp, just keep it under the red line. Would love to see pics of the driveline. I wouldn't mind havin one to put one of my V8's and the running gear in. Be nice to drive a car for a change, LOL.
Back to top Go down
Murraymountain
Master
Master
Murraymountain

PostSubject: Re: 1983 AMC Eagle Wagon... Slow Restoration Project   1983 AMC Eagle Wagon... Slow Restoration Project Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2019 9:05 am

Yeah that grey one looks like it quit a long time ago. But the gold one'll be a nice project. 300+ hp, kinda small for a Jeep right LOL!

I would if I had room for one, but right now the shops do most of our work. Probably because I don't wanna mess something up that was working perfectly fine before. When I get enough money I'll be looking at some old vehicles sitting in peoples yards so I can do the work myself this time. Something rusty and cheap that I won't feel bad about breaking things and beating it up. Right now I'm looking at a Ford Fairlane 289 with rusty quarter panels and all that.

I just heard a Chevy start up the other day and it sounded exactly like ours, and the last owner said something about a putting a Chevy engine in it, but all the labels are AMC and all the Eagle pics online have that motor. Kinda confused me. Whatever, now I understand. As for the trans, I have no idea. You wouldn't believe how many people we talk to at red lights and in parking lots about this car!
Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21
AllisKidD21

PostSubject: Re: 1983 AMC Eagle Wagon... Slow Restoration Project   1983 AMC Eagle Wagon... Slow Restoration Project Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2019 9:21 am

@Murraymountain wrote:
Right now I'm looking at a Ford Fairlane 289.

Hey hey!! What year is she? The '66 Fairlane just happens to be my favorite car y'know, hahaha.

- Allis B-110, 710 & 716 - Wheel Horse 655 - Case 444 - Bolens Versamatic - Cub Cadet 106 (Some Assembly Required)
Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Expert
Expert
prancstaman

Forum Rep : 74

PostSubject: Re: 1983 AMC Eagle Wagon... Slow Restoration Project   1983 AMC Eagle Wagon... Slow Restoration Project Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2019 8:24 pm

The jeep cj would come with a factory Chevy I6 and GM 2 speed Powerglide, 350 turbo, or 400 turbo. Those 3 GM transmissions would have the I6 bolt pattern and is the same bolt pattern for a Chevy V8 small block. To get the V8 in would only need to make engine mounts for the most part. Same thing would go for your Eagle too, if it has a Chevy I6.

I blew the trans in the gray jeep about 3 years ago. I drove it looking like that with few problems. Cop stopped me one time for a ticket and asked me why the hell was I driving it, LOL. 300hp is probably right with the low compression motor. Had loads of torque down low though.
Back to top Go down
Murraymountain
Master
Master
Murraymountain

PostSubject: Re: 1983 AMC Eagle Wagon... Slow Restoration Project   1983 AMC Eagle Wagon... Slow Restoration Project Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2019 9:32 pm

@AllisKidD21 wrote:
@Murraymountain wrote:
Right now I'm looking at a Ford Fairlane 289.

Hey hey!! What year is she? The '66 Fairlane just happens to be my favorite car y'know, hahaha.

Probably a '66 or '67. I didn't pay much attention to it when I first saw it, but when I went back to look at the pic, it looked pretty good considering the rust on all his other cars.
1983 AMC Eagle Wagon... Slow Restoration Project P1070810
I thought, that'd be a good car to restore, but when I went back and started to look at it, it was no different than any of his other cars. So, if the seats and diff aren't gonna fall out while driving it, and the price is right, I'm thinking about building it as a rusty '60s hot rod. You know, something to beat up on!  lol!

@prancstaman wrote:
The jeep cj would come with a factory Chevy I6 and GM 2 speed Powerglide, 350 turbo, or 400 turbo. Those 3 GM transmissions would have the I6 bolt pattern and is the same bolt pattern for a Chevy V8 small block. To get the V8 in would only need to make engine mounts for the most part. Same thing would go for your Eagle too, if it has a Chevy I6.

I blew the trans in the gray jeep about 3 years ago. I drove it looking like that with few problems. Cop stopped me one time for a ticket and asked me why the hell was I driving it, LOL. 300hp is probably right with the low compression motor. Had loads of torque down low though.

I like the little straight six, no V8 for this one. I want to completely restore this one back to how it rolled off the assembly line! Whatever it has is pretty much the same as a CJ7, so it probably has the same tranny a CJ7 will have.
Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21
AllisKidD21

PostSubject: Re: 1983 AMC Eagle Wagon... Slow Restoration Project   1983 AMC Eagle Wagon... Slow Restoration Project Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2019 9:43 pm

Oh yeah, that's definitely either a '66 or '67. If I saw the tail lights I could tell for sure, but either way, I love those cars!!

She'd be a real beauty all shined up...

Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
Administrator
MightyRaze

Forum Rep : 399

PostSubject: Re: 1983 AMC Eagle Wagon... Slow Restoration Project   1983 AMC Eagle Wagon... Slow Restoration Project Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2019 9:52 pm

My dad use to drag race a 67 Fairlane GTA.  If I could find the right one, I would love to restore it for my dad.

1983 AMC Eagle Wagon... Slow Restoration Project Fairla10

But I digress and continue to put the topic off coarse.

Li'l Red Murray
Li'l Red 2.0

1983 AMC Eagle Wagon... Slow Restoration Project Admins10
Back to top Go down
http://mightyraze.com
Murraymountain
Master
Master
Murraymountain

PostSubject: Re: 1983 AMC Eagle Wagon... Slow Restoration Project   1983 AMC Eagle Wagon... Slow Restoration Project Icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2019 4:17 pm

Took the Eagle to this areas biggest car show yesterday...

1983 AMC Eagle Wagon... Slow Restoration Project P1100925
1983 AMC Eagle Wagon... Slow Restoration Project P1100926

Then went on a cruise around town, through the retirement home, through main street, a U-turn, and back through main...

1983 AMC Eagle Wagon... Slow Restoration Project P1100927

And later, they did the burnouts. We didn't participate, but on the way out, that old, beat up, stock station wagon did a one tire fire with more smoke than a late 2000's souped up Mustang GT. I'm telling ya, this thing ain't any ol' soccer mom car...
Back to top Go down
Murraymountain
Master
Master
Murraymountain

PostSubject: Re: 1983 AMC Eagle Wagon... Slow Restoration Project   1983 AMC Eagle Wagon... Slow Restoration Project Icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2019 4:35 pm

@prancstaman wrote:
I wouldn't mind havin one to put one of my V8's and the running gear in. Be nice to drive a car for a change, LOL.

If your ever down in the Tri-state area of NC lemme know. There's an old Eagle Wagon up in Waynesville NC just rotting away in a horder's drive way.

You also wanted to see some driveline pics...

1983 AMC Eagle Wagon... Slow Restoration Project P1110327

The tranny is kinda secluded and I couldn't get any shots of it, so I took some interior photos..,

1983 AMC Eagle Wagon... Slow Restoration Project P1110326
1983 AMC Eagle Wagon... Slow Restoration Project P1110325
1983 AMC Eagle Wagon... Slow Restoration Project P1110328
Back to top Go down
Murraymountain
Master
Master
Murraymountain

PostSubject: Re: 1983 AMC Eagle Wagon... Slow Restoration Project   1983 AMC Eagle Wagon... Slow Restoration Project Icon_minitimeSat Sep 07, 2019 4:33 pm

Well, that front wheel is really wobbling... It's makes a very "noticeable" squeaking noise when driving at any speed. The video doesn't do it justice, but my brother can move the wheel back and forth so, it's time for a new something....

Watch...

And it's starting to smoke a good bit when it's cold. Rings? Head gaskets?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1983 AMC Eagle Wagon... Slow Restoration Project   1983 AMC Eagle Wagon... Slow Restoration Project Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

1983 AMC Eagle Wagon... Slow Restoration Project
Page 1 of 1