All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build

Go down 
+6
rex4x4
dangeroustoys56
MSteele323
Trcustoms
arild365
cj8
10 posters
AuthorMessage
cj8

monster - Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build Empty
PostSubject: Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build   monster - Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build Icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2011, 7:53 am

I am building this to play around in the snow this winter. I have a extra blade I may put on it. I started with putting brakes on the transaxle. The brake rotors are off a late model Olds. Had to turn the I.D. to fit the wheel hubs. Brake calipers are off a Pontiac. The steel rims are off a Jeep. I cut the lip off one and welded it to the inside of another. The inner rim bolts to the wheel hub. That was the easiest way to get me 46 inches from outside to outside of rims. Hope that will be wide enough. The main frame is free metal from a shipping container. Questions, comments welcome
CJ8

monster - Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build Th_IMG_1801

monster - Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build Th_IMG_1803

monster - Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build Th_IMG_1804

monster - Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build Th_IMG_1806

monster - Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build Th_IMG_1942
Back to top Go down
arild365
arild365

PostSubject: Re: Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build   monster - Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build Icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2011, 10:30 am

this is gunna be one hell of a tractor man!!! cant wait to see it!!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/arild365
cj8

PostSubject: Re: Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build   monster - Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build Icon_minitimeAugust 25th 2011, 9:07 am

thanks, got front axle mostly done. I had some rear shocks off a 89 f-150, I think they will work out perfect. Picked up a set of 35 inch used tires for free.

monster - Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build Th_IMG_1945
Back to top Go down
Trcustoms
Trcustoms

PostSubject: Re: Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build   monster - Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build Icon_minitimeAugust 25th 2011, 11:57 am

cj8 wrote:
thanks, got front axle mostly done. I had some rear shocks off a 89 f-150, I think they will work out perfect. Picked up a set of 35 inch used tires for free.

Awesome project!
Hey, whats that little white buggie looking thing in the back?
Back to top Go down
MSteele323

PostSubject: Re: Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build   monster - Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build Icon_minitimeAugust 26th 2011, 3:44 am

Holy crap that is cool!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/msteele323?feature=mhw5
cj8

PostSubject: Re: Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build   monster - Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build Icon_minitimeAugust 26th 2011, 7:39 am

Trcustoms wrote:
cj8 wrote:

Awesome project!
Hey, whats that little white buggie looking thing in the back?

thanks for the comments guys/gals

Thats my drag racing buggy in the back. 23hp Kawasaki Twin.

monster - Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build IMG_1782
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build   monster - Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build Icon_minitimeAugust 26th 2011, 2:48 pm

That tractor is gonna be huge!

I have multiple unfinished projects in the shed- couple hot rod mowers, 'go kart' tractor, offroad tractor ( eventually made into a 4x4) - future plans of a large 4x4 GT craftsman..... ah but other stuff intervenes , like work and other duties.

Im just trying to get one thats been in my shed for 3 months out of there , and thats a stock mower( that had issues) - im just going to work on one at a time now .
Back to top Go down
Trcustoms
Trcustoms

PostSubject: Re: Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build   monster - Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build Icon_minitimeAugust 26th 2011, 11:14 pm

That craftsman is sweet.
What kinda tranny and engine do ya got in her?
Back to top Go down
rex4x4
rex4x4

PostSubject: Re: Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build   monster - Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build Icon_minitimeSeptember 16th 2011, 11:02 pm

keep buildin man ...... cant wait to see this one :-)
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/rex4x4
cj8

PostSubject: Re: Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build   monster - Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build Icon_minitimeSeptember 19th 2011, 9:29 am

I broke the John Deere steering gearbox i was going to use which was ok because I wanted to use a rack and pinon to start with. Its out of a 1990 Toyota and cost $39.00 at salvage yard.
Technically it should be mounted to the frame and not the axle because the axle pivots. It worked out best on the axle. I will add another steering U-joint on bottom of steering shaft. Hopefully that will take care of the changing dimension between rack and steering column shaft.

monster - Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build IMG_1947
Back to top Go down
arild365
arild365

PostSubject: Re: Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build   monster - Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build Icon_minitimeSeptember 19th 2011, 10:33 am

holly crap man!!! are you gunna make power steering??? thats sweet! And i love toy suspension idea too. Just make sure that when the tractor articulates that it doesnt interfere with your steering. Maybe add another u joint closer to the top? good luck! and keep the build coming!!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/arild365
cj8

PostSubject: Re: Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build   monster - Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build Icon_minitimeSeptember 30th 2011, 5:43 am

arild365 wrote:
holly crap man!!! are you gunna make power steering??? thats sweet! And i love toy suspension idea too. Just make sure that when the tractor articulates that it doesnt interfere with your steering. Maybe add another u joint closer to the top? good luck! and keep the build coming!!
Yea the double u-joint up top didn't work very well. Got a intermediate steering shaft off a Ford. Took the nylon out of it so it slides real easy when the front articulates. Only one u-joint on each end now.

monster - Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build IMG_1949

monster - Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build IMG_1953
Back to top Go down
cj8

PostSubject: Re: Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build   monster - Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build Icon_minitimeOctober 26th 2011, 10:08 am

Brakes all plumbed up and works great. Master cylinder for a early Chrysler was $20.00 out of the box and with a lifetime warranty. Getting ready to mount the RABG to get power down to the transaxle. Clickable thumbnail pics

monster - Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build Th_IMG_1958

monster - Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build Th_IMG_1956

monster - Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build Th_IMG_1957

monster - Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build Th_IMG_1959
Back to top Go down
Ford Boi
Ford Boi

PostSubject: Re: Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build   monster - Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build Icon_minitimeOctober 26th 2011, 11:42 am

That thing is retarded . (in the best way possible) You are doing a fine job, love the automotive parts useage. Its a beast!
Back to top Go down
cj8

PostSubject: Re: Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build   monster - Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build Icon_minitimeNovember 11th 2011, 11:53 am

got all the wiring done. Mounted the battery and fuel tank under the seat.

monster - Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build Th_IMG_1977
monster - Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build Th_IMG_1975

monster - Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build Th_IMG_1976
monster - Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build Th_IMG_1978

exhaust needs to be done and it will be ready to fire up. It will be ready to drive after I make a shifter that can be reached
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build   monster - Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build Icon_minitimeNovember 11th 2011, 12:34 pm

Ive wanted to use automotive brake components on a couple of my mod lawntractors - on YT a guy used a hydraulic motorcycle rear master cylender on his go kart - bet it wasnt as cheep as yours.

I considered using rotors/calipers off a small car - like a ford festiva or geo metro - i plan on heading to the local auto junkyard and picking up some stuff, even to use for mockup if it doesnt work ( seals leak, ect).
Back to top Go down
cj8

PostSubject: Re: Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build   monster - Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build Icon_minitimeNovember 12th 2011, 9:47 am

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
Ive wanted to use automotive brake components on a couple of my mod lawntractors - on YT a guy used a hydraulic motorcycle rear master cylender on his go kart - bet it wasnt as cheep as yours.

I considered using rotors/calipers off a small car - like a ford festiva or geo metro - i plan on heading to the local auto junkyard and picking up some stuff, even to use for mockup if it doesnt work ( seals leak, ect).

I looked at all makes when searching for calipers and rotors at the junkyard. Look for brakes off the REAR of a Front wheel drive GM Pontiac or Olds. I found a olds with a solid brake rotor about 3/8 thick, so it had nice small calipers. You could probably shim the brake pad up and use the caliper on a gokart brake rotor. I have a mechanical Carlisle brake caliper on my drag race mower that stops fine. You can buy them for around $22.00 . I paid $10.00 for the caliper and $14.00 for the olds rotor.
Back to top Go down
cj8

PostSubject: Re: Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build   monster - Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build Icon_minitimeNovember 18th 2011, 8:57 am

Got the exhaust done.

monster - Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build IMG_1979
monster - Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build IMG_1981

Back to top Go down
cj8

PostSubject: No snow yet but Murray Monster Mower Finished   monster - Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build Icon_minitimeJanuary 8th 2012, 8:40 am

Back to top Go down
AcreFarm
AcreFarm

PostSubject: Re: Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build   monster - Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build Icon_minitimeJanuary 8th 2012, 12:31 pm

Looks & sounds great! I love about 1 minute in, the guys just staring... too funny
Back to top Go down
canadianromper
canadianromper

PostSubject: Re: Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build   monster - Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build Icon_minitimeJanuary 11th 2012, 8:43 pm

that thing is a beast great job man. also how big are the tires on that thing.
Back to top Go down
dagr8tim
dagr8tim

PostSubject: Re: Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build   monster - Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build Icon_minitimeJanuary 11th 2012, 9:27 pm

Cool idea. I had considered using some Jeep axle shafts and cutting them down and welding them to my tractor's axle shafts in order to run a jeep rim on the back of mine. Either that or snag some unit bearing and stub shafts from the parts Jeep and rig something.

Is the rack power or manual?
Back to top Go down
http://buckeyejeeps.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build   monster - Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Snow and Show Murray Monster Mow Build
Page 1 of 1