All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Craftsman rally project

Go down 
+4
RichieRichOverdrive
MightyRaze
AllisKidD21
PlasticMechanic
8 posters
AuthorMessage
PlasticMechanic
PlasticMechanic

Craftsman rally project Empty
PostSubject: Craftsman rally project   Craftsman rally project Icon_minitimeMay 23rd 2019, 3:05 am

> JUMP TO LATEST UPDATE <
(August 19th 2020)
Hey all! I'm new to the forum, so I figured the best way to introduce myself was to show you my project. I started late last summer and it's been a little slow going since I don't have any kind of shed or garage to work in and it tends to be somewhat wet here in the Pacific Northwest. Wink

Craftsman rally project 20181210

This is earlier on in the build after I installed two 6" light bars in place of the original bulbs. I think I already had the pulley swap done at this point as well. I replaced the rear 9" pulley with a 3.5". (The front is also 3.5", so now the ratio is 1:1.) I hope to upgrade the clutch to a double-pulley setup at some point to make room for a larger pulley up front.

Craftsman rally project 20190210
Craftsman rally project 20190211

This is pretty much where the project is now. I installed bigger, more aggressive wheels on the back and swapped the fenders out for some that had more clearance since the wheels rubbed the original fenders and I didn't like the idea of cutting them to make room. I'm currently in the process of making a battery tray so I can have the battery up front. (The new fenders are designed to have a gas tank under them, rather than a battery.)

Here's what I have done so far:

• Rear pulley swap
  • Engine swap (15hp Kohler Command)
  • Bigger rear wheels (Thinking I may want to get some that are just a bit smaller. Maybe 23" or 22" instead of 25".)
  • Fender swap

My to-do list:

• Finish fabrication and painting of the battery tray
  • Figure out a foot throttle (I don't want to use the bicycle break-lever solution)
  • Larger wheels for the front
  • Repair cracks in frame next to the front axle (both left and right sides)
  • Front pulley swap?
  • Double-pulley clutch?
  • Paint (thinking maybe Cub Cadet yellow and black)

And finally, my "wish" list:

• Find someone to help me fabricate some mounting hardware to install the suspension, a-arms and hubs (basically the front end) from a parts ATV
  • Replace the steering assembly with the handlebars and stem from my parts ATV (also considering using the thumb-throttle that's on it?)
  • Strengthen the frame
  • Make it street legal (I think it'd be fun to drive it around town on errands. Smile )

One of the things I want to avoid doing is making permanent changes to the frame or body, as I'd like to be able to easily revert any changes if I don't like something or I want to make a modification.

I recently got a Briggs 18hp opposed twin that I want to put in it, but I'll need to find a way to raise the hood so that it'll clear the larger engine.

Last edited by PlasticMechanic on August 20th 2020, 2:11 am; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Added link to project update post.)
Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21
AllisKidD21

5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts!
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant
1st Place Build-Off 2019
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2019

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman rally project   Craftsman rally project Icon_minitimeMay 23rd 2019, 7:14 am

Welcome to ATLTF!! Looks like you got a great project going on here!

"This'll either wake you up or put you to sleep forever!"- Red Green         "Whatever you do you should do right, even if it's something wrong." - Hank Hill

- MTD Off-Road Build
      - Ford LT 110 Off-Road Build
      - Craftsman GT 6000 Off-Road Build
       - Sears LT11 Rat Rod Build *2019 Build-Off Winner!*

Garden Tractor Collection: Allis B-110 x2, 710, 716, & 410 - Wheel Horse 655, 953 & 500 Special - Case 444 - Bolens Versamatic, G10 & 1668 Diesel Swapped - Cub 106, 124 & 1000/149 Frankentractor - Ford 120, LGT 125 & 145 - White 1650 Yard Boss - Moto Mower 710-100
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman rally project   Craftsman rally project Icon_minitimeMay 23rd 2019, 9:15 am

Welcome and nice project!

Craftsman rally project Sig115PROJECTS:
     Marshal ........93 Craftsman GT6000      
     Red Bandit ...72 Wheel Horse Raider 12
     Dirty Rat........77 Sears Suburban
     Bowser..........01 Murray Widebody LT
     Other projects
Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!
Craftsman rally project Sig214Craftsman rally project Sig314
Back to top Go down
PlasticMechanic
PlasticMechanic

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman rally project   Craftsman rally project Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2019, 1:23 am

AllisKidD21 wrote:
Welcome to ATLTF!! Looks like you got a great project going on here!
MightyRaze wrote:
Welcome and nice project!
Thanks guys!  Smile

Got a bit of progress to share with y'all.  Since my last post I've swapped in an opposed twin and just yesterday I finished putting together and installing my custom-made battery tray.  No paint on it yet (other than what was already on there), but it was kind of quick and dirty to begin with so I may just leave it as is.
Craftsman rally project Pic110

Craftsman rally project Pic210

I took it out for a quick top speed run and got about 15 mph, but it got a bit too tippy for my tastes so I think I'm going to get some smaller tires for the back and use the larger ones for another project. (I have a red '89 MTD that I want to start on.)  I want to lower the seat as well, but that would mean switching to a smaller gas tank and relocating it.  Just gotta figure out what I can do with the resources I have.
Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
RichieRichOverdrive

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman rally project   Craftsman rally project Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2019, 1:36 am

Looks good! Took me a while to realize you swapped the fenders before I read your post, lol. Maybe you could go with a lower height rally type build, those usually turn out pretty well. How much of the hood do you have to cut to make it fit?
Back to top Go down
PlasticMechanic
PlasticMechanic

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman rally project   Craftsman rally project Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2019, 6:16 am

The current plan is to find some metal that I can make a riser bracket out of to raise the front of the hood about 2", then I need to make some kind of spacer to lift the back.  I also plan to cut out a hood scoop at some point. (I know I'd be permanently modifying it, but I think it'd be worth it in this case.)

Craftsman actually made a modified version of the hood that's meant to fit a twin under it.  Woulda made things a lot easier if I had been able to find one of these and just start out with it...

But yeah, as far as ride height, something closer to stock wheel size would be preferable.  I've been looking at tires on Amazon, but I'm having a bit of trouble deciding which one would be best for a rally-style build.  Here's what I'm looking at:

SunF A003 19x9.5-8
SunF A051 Power.II 18x9.5-8
AR DONGFANG 18x9.5x8

These ones are a bit bigger, but not as big as the 25-inchers I have on now:
SunF A032 22x11-8
SunF A030 22x10-8

Thoughts?

Also, I just realized that I failed to mention that this is my first time building a mower.  Been watching lots of YouTube vids by folks like Doc Sprocket and chud327 (just to name a couple) and wanted to get in on the action. Smile
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman rally project   Craftsman rally project Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2019, 8:26 am

It's a fun hobby, but can get costly. It will teach you patience waiting on that right part to show up. It will teach you frustration when you decided to go a different direction with the build and the parts show up after you have reached the point of no return. Just remember to have fun with it, be patient, and the first one will have some nostalgic vibes to it, but it will give way to many more projects.

Craftsman rally project Sig115PROJECTS:
     Marshal ........93 Craftsman GT6000      
     Red Bandit ...72 Wheel Horse Raider 12
     Dirty Rat........77 Sears Suburban
     Bowser..........01 Murray Widebody LT
     Other projects
Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!
Craftsman rally project Sig214Craftsman rally project Sig314
Back to top Go down
Murraymountain
Veteran Member
Murraymountain
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman rally project   Craftsman rally project Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2019, 9:07 am

MightyRaze wrote:
It's a fun hobby, but can get costly.  It will teach you patience waiting on that right part to show up. It will teach you frustration when you decided to go a different direction with the build and the parts show up after you have reached the point of no return.  Just remember to have fun with it, be patient, and the first one will have some nostalgic vibes to it, but it will give way to many more projects.

Well said!

Pretty neat build you got going on here! I've seen the modified version of your hood, but they never really looked right.
Back to top Go down
PlasticMechanic
PlasticMechanic

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman rally project   Craftsman rally project Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2019, 5:31 pm

Murraymountain wrote:
Pretty neat build you got going on here! I've seen the modified version of your hood, but they never really looked right.

Yeah, I kinda worry that it may look a bit too weird and I won't like it. I've seen vids where people have a v-twin under the style of hood that I have without any apparent fitment issues. It's part of why I wanted to make the riser bracket bolt-on instead of welding it so that if I get a hold of a v-twin somewhere down the road I can easily take it back down to stock hood height. (It'd be a win-win too, since I'd be able to swap the oppy onto the MTD.)
Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
RichieRichOverdrive

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman rally project   Craftsman rally project Icon_minitimeJuly 11th 2019, 12:39 am

Those 19.5s might be a bit on the big side, could interfere with the hood. Although I bought a set of 18x6.5-8 carlisle snow hogs once and they were only like 16.5" tall. So maybe the 19s would work just fine with the hood riser.
Back to top Go down
PlasticMechanic
PlasticMechanic

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman rally project   Craftsman rally project Icon_minitimeJuly 11th 2019, 1:03 am

RichieRichOverdrive wrote:
Those 19.5s might be a bit on the big side, could interfere with the hood. Although I bought a set of 18x6.5-8 carlisle snow hogs once and they were only like 16.5" tall. So maybe the 19s would work just fine with the hood riser.

Oh! I thought you were talking about cutting the hood to make the engine fit! I'm waiting on buying front tires 'til I can find some 8" rims since the ones on it now are only 6".  The tires I linked are ones I'm considering for the rear.
Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
RichieRichOverdrive

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman rally project   Craftsman rally project Icon_minitimeJuly 11th 2019, 1:14 am

Oh alright, lol. Yeah, 8" front rims seem hard to come by til you get a set and don't need any more, then they're everywhere. I think 20s on the back and 16s on the front would come out not much taller than stock height. I had a Murray widebody set up like that, it was alright to run around on trails and stuff. Would've been better with a locked diff though.
Back to top Go down
mrshaft696
Established Member
mrshaft696
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman rally project   Craftsman rally project Icon_minitimeJuly 11th 2019, 2:56 pm

PlasticMechanic wrote:
Murraymountain wrote:

Yeah, I kinda worry that it may look a bit too weird and I won't like it.  I've seen vids where people have a v-twin under the style of hood that I have without any apparent fitment issues.  It's part of why I wanted to make the riser bracket bolt-on instead of welding it so that if I get a hold of a v-twin somewhere down the road I can easily take it back down to stock hood height.  (It'd be a win-win too, since I'd be able to swap the oppy onto the MTD.)

The grey ones I have had (w/opposed engine), use the same hood as yours, the the hinge brackets or mounting is just longer & the hood sits up about 2.5" higher, there is a plastic panel that fills in the gap.

Craftsman rally project Img_2517
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman rally project   Craftsman rally project Icon_minitimeJuly 11th 2019, 6:26 pm

Now I know what good to look for for the mk2, I never knew there was a difference. Thank you!
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Veteran Member
mr.modified
Veteran Member

2015 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2015 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
1st Place Build-Off 2014
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2014
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman rally project   Craftsman rally project Icon_minitimeJuly 11th 2019, 6:39 pm

A hammer makes everything fit! Or nah maybe not...

Making it street legal would be cool. It depends on the state your in and if you can register it for the road too easy. In a lot of states, people register mini bikes and stuff like that no problem. You'd have to do some research on that and see what the best way would be to go about it. I know that in upstate new york for example, ATV's/UTV's can be used on back roads if registered. (I think)

Front suspension makes a huge difference too. Even with the back end still solid, the front suspension keeps the machine from hopping all over the place as much. When I did mine, I was surprised at how much better it handled. I just did a mono-link setup though with a straight front axle. Independent would be even better.
Back to top Go down
Murraymountain
Veteran Member
Murraymountain
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman rally project   Craftsman rally project Icon_minitimeJuly 12th 2019, 12:19 pm

mrshaft696 wrote:
PlasticMechanic wrote:
Murraymountain wrote:

Yeah, I kinda worry that it may look a bit too weird and I won't like it.  I've seen vids where people have a v-twin under the style of hood that I have without any apparent fitment issues.  It's part of why I wanted to make the riser bracket bolt-on instead of welding it so that if I get a hold of a v-twin somewhere down the road I can easily take it back down to stock hood height.  (It'd be a win-win too, since I'd be able to swap the oppy onto the MTD.)

The grey ones I have had (w/opposed engine), use the same hood as yours, the the hinge brackets or mounting is just longer & the hood sits up about 2.5" higher, there is a plastic panel that fills in the gap.

Craftsman rally project Img_2517

That's the one I was talking about.
Back to top Go down
PlasticMechanic
PlasticMechanic

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman rally project   Craftsman rally project Icon_minitimeJune 6th 2020, 4:58 am

Hey, just popping in to say I'm still alive. Smile  Sadly haven't made any real progress on the tractor, but I do have some minor updates to share:

First is that I ended up getting rid of the red MTD that I previously mentioned.  The front axle looked a bit worse for wear and I decided that I didn't want to deal with it.

I have since acquired three other mowers.  The first is a green Craftsman with a 17hp Briggs that seems to be leaking oil from up front somewhere (hoping it's just the valve cover), while the second is a green MTD that I bought for the engine.  The goal for these two is to keep what I want for my project and get them running and cutting to then sell.

The third is a gray Craftsman from just before they switched to green for their riding mowers.  My plan is to make this my new primary project as the hood is large enough that I feel I could fit pretty much whatever engine I wanted in there.  I'll need to swap the trans-axle over from the old project, and I'll probably swap over the wiring since I already trimmed out most of the extra wires that I didn't need.

Hopefully I'll be able to take some photos to share soon.  Hadn't thought to take pictures before and now we've got rain in the forecast for the next few days.

Not a photo of the actual mower, but looks just like it:
Craftsman rally project 3ed3m310

Thinking I'll likely set up the old project with a single-cylinder motor after I find another manual trans to replace the one I'll be taking out.
Back to top Go down
PlasticMechanic
PlasticMechanic

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman rally project   Craftsman rally project Icon_minitimeAugust 20th 2020, 2:03 am

Still need to get some better wheels for the front, but it's back together and driving!
Craftsman rally project 20200710

Though it's nice to finally have a hood over the engine again, I already have another engine swap planned.  I picked up another running Craftsman mower with a (20hp?) Briggs v-twin in it and am looking forward to that v-twin sound. Smile
Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
RichieRichOverdrive

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman rally project   Craftsman rally project Icon_minitimeAugust 27th 2020, 11:27 pm

Nice little minibike!.

So are you going to put the original hood back on over the v twin?
Back to top Go down
PlasticMechanic
PlasticMechanic

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman rally project   Craftsman rally project Icon_minitimeApril 7th 2021, 6:18 am

Whew, it's been a while.  'bout time to get this project going again...

RichieRichOverdrive wrote:
Nice little minibike!.

So are you going to put the original hood back on over the v twin?
Maybe if it fits, but I have my doubts.  I have another frame I can test it out on before doing the actual swap.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman rally project   Craftsman rally project Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Craftsman rally project
Page 1 of 1