All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum!
2019 Build Off Underway!

Off road MTD

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
diddie
Apprentice
Apprentice

Off road MTD - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Off road MTD   Off road MTD - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 14, 2019 8:43 pm

@Sirironduke wrote:
Here's the winch mounted and fully operational.  The winch and control box are mounted to the frame and fairlead mounted to the bagger bracket.  Off road MTD - Page 2 20190911
And you can still use a rear bagger lol!
Back to top Go down
Murraymountain
Master
Master
Murraymountain

Forum Rep : 40

PostSubject: Re: Off road MTD   Off road MTD - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 14, 2019 10:23 pm

Are you gonna cover those holes with taillights?
Back to top Go down
Sirironduke
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Forum Rep : 0

PostSubject: Re: Off road MTD   Off road MTD - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 15, 2019 12:45 pm

I'm thinking of tail lights. I do have the lenses/reflectors that went over them. As for headlights I'm most likely going to do a L.E.D bar.
Back to top Go down
Sirironduke
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

PostSubject: Re: Off road MTD   Off road MTD - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2019 5:15 pm

And those that ask how the tires perform? Well so far all I've driven it on is grass. But today I put it in 6th, mashed the throttle and dumped the clutch. The tires grabbed soo much my belt was slipping. Where as before I could spin the tires on grass.
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran
mr.modified

Forum Rep : 83

PostSubject: Re: Off road MTD   Off road MTD - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2019 5:26 pm

Nice! I did a set last year but I took the whole row out instead of leaving the center.
Is the frame going to fit on the front suspension fairly easily? And are you planning on using the front atv brakes too?
Off road MTD - Page 2 Img_6732
Back to top Go down
yeethaw
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
yeethaw

Forum Rep : 2

PostSubject: Re: Off road MTD   Off road MTD - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2019 9:34 pm

not to jack the thread or anything bu thow did you guys do them? when i do it it takes forever and isnt really a smooth cut ive been using a hot chisel
Back to top Go down
Sirironduke
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

PostSubject: Re: Off road MTD   Off road MTD - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2019 12:15 pm

I cut mine with a multifunction tool with a trimmed down veneer blade.
As for the atv frame a cut and widened it and will be welding a mtd front suspension bracket to my frame section so it bolts on. And I am going to try and use the front brakes. They are drum brakes so they wont be nice as disks.
Back to top Go down
Murraymountain
Master
Master
Murraymountain

Forum Rep : 40

PostSubject: Re: Off road MTD   Off road MTD - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2019 4:33 pm

@yeethaw wrote:
not to jack the thread or anything bu thow did you guys do them? when i do it it takes forever and isnt really a smooth cut ive been using a hot chisel

I use an oscillating saw. Here's a video on how to do it...

Off road MTD - Page 2 2731072446
Back to top Go down
Sirironduke
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

PostSubject: Re: Off road MTD   Off road MTD - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2019 10:30 am

Same tool. Though I used the blade ended one vs the saw blade
Back to top Go down
diddie
Apprentice
Apprentice
diddie

Forum Rep : 17

PostSubject: Re: Off road MTD   Off road MTD - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2019 10:01 pm

@yeethaw wrote:
iv'e done it years ago for pulling tractors with a air hammer with a good sharp chisel went pretty quick !
Back to top Go down
Sirironduke
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

PostSubject: Re: Off road MTD   Off road MTD - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2019 11:16 pm

Wow I bet it did.
Back to top Go down
Sirironduke
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

PostSubject: Re: Off road MTD   Off road MTD - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 29, 2019 5:04 pm

Took my mtd for a spin today. Tested out the winch, pulled a 200+lbs tree. Winched it from the woods then up a long hill. Then went for a romp in the woods. No mud but plenty of hills rocks and downed trees. Mainly used 4th and 7th gear. My cut turf tires did real well. I did find I need more traction in the front and I need to stiffen the frame. Both of which are planned. But the drive train held up well. I may hold off on locking the diff.
Back to top Go down
Sirironduke
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

PostSubject: Re: Off road MTD   Off road MTD - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 05, 2019 5:48 pm

Did a pully swap today. Only did the front for now. Was planning on doing the transaxle as well but will hold off for now. Changing the front pully realy woke this thing up. Who says you cant make a varidrive fast.
I put on a 6" weld up pully from tractor supply.  I couldnt find a longer wide belt so I went with a thinner automotive belt. Takes a 56"Off road MTD - Page 2 20191010
Back to top Go down
Sirironduke
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

PostSubject: Re: Off road MTD   Off road MTD - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 06, 2019 7:59 pm

Did a speed test today. Topped out at 18mph with an average of 15. Might be able to do 20 with the correct thickness belt. Did manage to throw the rear belt downshifting and hit a pot hole as speed. Think I bent something because the belt wont stay on now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Off road MTD   Off road MTD - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Off road MTD
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2