All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

What's a good welder? - Page 2 Lend10PortalHomeFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog inDiscordCountdown TimerWhat's a good welder? - Page 2 Rend10
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum!
2019 Build Off Underway!

What's a good welder?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Murraymountain
Master
Master

What's a good welder? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's a good welder?   What's a good welder? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 01, 2019 12:54 pm

Well, #1, I am in a hurry, and #2 I don't use those sites. School starts in 19 days, my "most used" mower is completely apart and I can't move forward until I have a welder. Not to mention learn how to use it. In the mean time I'll look around for one but I'll most likely end up with the one in the link.
Back to top Go down
muddstir
Skilled
Skilled
muddstir

Forum Rep : 11

PostSubject: Re: What's a good welder?   What's a good welder? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 01, 2019 2:43 pm

The one in the link that you posted is a stick welder.
I'd personally stay away from stick welders, especially to be used as an all-around welder.
Stick welding is a good trait to learn at some point in life but if your in that much of a hurry to start welding go mig.
If it's between the welder in the link and the 125 amp harbor freight one, id go with the harbor freight one..
Do nt expect top of the line welds out of either of them and splatter will be.  
But whatever one you go with all I can say is metal prep is key, along with proper power connections (a good clean ground clamp connected securely to good clean metal. The weld joint needs to be properly cleaned and also chamfered if needs be. Then the machine needs to be plugged in on its own dedicated circuit for whatever amp draw that it needs and no extension cords whatsoever.)
Back to top Go down
Murraymountain
Master
Master
Murraymountain

Forum Rep : 36

PostSubject: Re: What's a good welder?   What's a good welder? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 01, 2019 3:03 pm

Okay, let's put this puzzle together.

#1, I cannot afford a MIG, whatever it is, it will be an FCAW.
#2, It cannot cost more than $120, helmet and everything needed to weld on the spot.
#3, Splatter does not matter.
#4, I need it ASAP.

I'll be talking with my grandfather about which one to get.
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran
mr.modified

Forum Rep : 67

PostSubject: Re: What's a good welder?   What's a good welder? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 01, 2019 5:06 pm

For $120 with a helmet, that's going to be a bit tough to find something decent. I think the helmet that I got was around $50 or $60 and that wasn't a top of the line one. Forget what brand it was, think I got it at lowes. I would say look for decent used equipment somewhere, but if you need it fast then that might not work so well.

Back to top Go down
Murraymountain
Master
Master
Murraymountain

Forum Rep : 36

PostSubject: Re: What's a good welder?   What's a good welder? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2019 11:16 am

Yep. I'm looking for used ones.

No wonder it was $50+, Lowe's is expensive. I think I can get a decent one at HF for $40 or less.
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran
CraftsmanQuad19

Forum Rep : 99

PostSubject: Re: What's a good welder?   What's a good welder? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2019 11:57 am

Basic auto darkening helmet at HF is 47 IIRC
Back to top Go down
TheBeal
Expert
Expert
TheBeal

Forum Rep : 80

PostSubject: Re: What's a good welder?   What's a good welder? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2019 12:34 pm

Just dont expect it to last forever.
Back to top Go down
Tour1
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Forum Rep : 1

PostSubject: Re: What's a good welder?   What's a good welder? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 26, 2019 2:05 am

FWIW, when I was fiddling around with welding a long time ago I had the Sears 50 Amp sputter welder.
It was supposed to be used with "contact rods" that had a flux coating just the right thickness so it would make a perfect arc while the flux coating was dragged along in contact with the joint.
I don't remember that working but I did use regular flux coated rods to make welds. The 3/32" rods were available more than the 1/16" ones.
The duty cycle was given as 2 minutes out of 10 minutes, still confusing since I didn't know if it meant 2 minutes with power on or 2 minutes of welding. More than once I smelled wax melting and seemed to lose some voltage from that point forward (so it was harder to strike an arc). I learned that I could do best by cutting the welding rods in thirds, so I started each weld with 1/3 of a rod and I could burn that down to about an inch long.
One time I put 2 car batteries in series and used a set of jumper cables to make a weld. It worked pretty good. The specs for the welder in a previous post show open circuit at 27 volts and 90 amps at 17 volts. It makes sense, doesn't it?
When I need to weld next time I think I'll get the helmet and welding rods and try the 2-battery trick if I don't need to weld a lot. Not sure about the total economics because batteries wear out. 2 alternators in series might work. I also have an 80 volt, 10 amp DC motor from a treadmill that generates voltage when I spin it by hand. This thread has me wondering if it would make welding current if I belted it to the mower deck pulley. My main worry with this motor is that 80 volts is dangerous, 24 volts would be much nicer.
Just to get back to the welding part, I recall being able to do an inch or two of weld in 2 minutes, using time to flip the helmet down, strike the arc, strike the arc again in the right place this time, and use up the 1/3 stick. My welds were often sloppy too, no feed speed or amp controls to match the job.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's a good welder?   What's a good welder? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What's a good welder?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2