All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

Yard machine front travel Lend10PortalHomeFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog inDiscordCountdown TimerYard machine front travel Rend10
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum!
2019 Build Off Underway!

Yard machine front travel

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Austin_Gore
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Forum Rep : 0

Yard machine front travel Empty
PostSubject: Yard machine front travel   Yard machine front travel Icon_minitimeTue Sep 10, 2019 3:03 pm

how do i get the most travel out of a lawn mowers front axle pivot bar
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
Administrator
MightyRaze

Forum Rep : 400

PostSubject: Re: Yard machine front travel   Yard machine front travel Icon_minitimeTue Sep 10, 2019 3:18 pm

Bumping question topic to the TECH section. 

• Basic geometry, you will need to lower your pivot point to have more swing.  (your other thread you mentioned looking for speed.  Speed + More axle pivot room = death wobble;  Typically those that want more speed lock up their front suspension.
  • or mod your axle to clear more room for the frame stop
  • scrap the whole thing and do custom suspension

Li'l Red Murray
Li'l Red 2.0

Yard machine front travel Admins10
Back to top Go down
http://mightyraze.com
AllisKidD21
AllisKidD21

Forum Rep : 209

PostSubject: Re: Yard machine front travel   Yard machine front travel Icon_minitimeTue Sep 10, 2019 3:21 pm

Well answering that question is rather difficult without seeing a picture of the front end setup... but I assume there are some spots on the frame that can be cut away to allow for more articulation.

Also a post like this belongs somewhere In the Technical Section, just so you know.

EDIT- Ah, I see Mighty already beat me to it, haha.

- Ford LT 110 Off-Road Build
       - Craftsman GT 6000 Off-Road Build
       - John Deere 110 Basic Off-Road Build
       - Allis B-110, 710 & 716 - Wheel Horse 655 - Case 444 - Bolens Versamatic - Cub Cadet 106 (Some Assembly Required)
Back to top Go down
Austin_Gore
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Forum Rep : 0

PostSubject: Re: Yard machine front travel   Yard machine front travel Icon_minitimeTue Sep 10, 2019 3:47 pm

Yard machine front travel Mtd10
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran
mr.modified

Forum Rep : 67

PostSubject: Re: Yard machine front travel   Yard machine front travel Icon_minitimeTue Sep 10, 2019 5:01 pm

Looks like the pins (#34) kinda hold things in place and possibly limit articulation. Also that cover thing (#36) might hit the axle I'm not sure. Maybe that's what actually limits it and the pins just hold the plate on. If you wanted more travel, you'd have to see what hits. Might be able to cut the top edges of #36 back a bit, but I would think you could only go so far before those pins contact the end of the slots in the front axle.

Other than that, if you can weld, you can figure out some sort of different front end setup or even do front suspension. Just gotta keep in mind the steering needs some clearance too.
Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Expert
Expert
prancstaman

Forum Rep : 74

PostSubject: Re: Yard machine front travel   Yard machine front travel Icon_minitimeTue Sep 10, 2019 5:58 pm

MTD designed. #34 are the bolt stops for the front axle pivot and hold the front axle assembly together. You could get a little more pivot by making the curved slots in the axle longer but you are weakening a weak axle to begin with. I have one of those on mine.
Back to top Go down
Murraymountain
Master
Master
Murraymountain

Forum Rep : 36

PostSubject: Re: Yard machine front travel   Yard machine front travel Icon_minitimeTue Sep 10, 2019 6:09 pm

@prancstaman wrote:
MTD designed. #34 are the bolt stops for the front axle pivot and hold the front axle assembly together. You could get a little more pivot by making the curved slots in the axle longer but you are weakening a weak axle to begin with. I have one of those on mine.

Yep. Or if you wanted to be really cheap you could just simply remove those bolts, but then you'd kill any strength factor that's there.
Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Expert
Expert
prancstaman

Forum Rep : 74

PostSubject: Re: Yard machine front travel   Yard machine front travel Icon_minitimeTue Sep 10, 2019 6:22 pm

I wouldn't mind having that cast iron front axle option. Wonder what models those are in?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yard machine front travel   Yard machine front travel Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Yard machine front travel
Page 1 of 1