All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum!
2019 Build Off Underway!

96 mtd gt build

Go down 
AuthorMessage
yeethaw
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
yeethaw

Forum Rep : 2

96 mtd gt build Empty
PostSubject: 96 mtd gt build   96 mtd gt build Icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2019 11:25 pm

so 18 years ago when my parents bought the house this tractor came with it but wasnt running so my dad replaced the back tires deck pulleys and spindles and couldnt get one spindle so he parked it in the back and let it sit so now i have it and so far got it to run but then it would stall when put in gear but once i got it to move 20 feet but it sounded terrible then stalled so i parked it for a week or two and came back to work on it and it seems that the fuel pump isnt working it only runs when i spray starting fluid or put gas down the carb right now i dont know what im gonna do with this thing but i think im gonna keep it since it has 23" tires and a hi lo trans on it also its missing the engine tins what could i do for those so i dont blow it96 mtd gt build Unknow10
96 mtd gt build Unknow11
96 mtd gt build Unknow12
96 mtd gt build 20190818
96 mtd gt build Unknow13
96 mtd gt build Unknow14
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran
mr.modified

Forum Rep : 83

96 mtd gt build Empty
PostSubject: Re: 96 mtd gt build   96 mtd gt build Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2019 12:51 am

You could weld partial extensions on the fan shroud so the cylinders get some more air. If you can weld thin stuff like that somehow. Or just track down some tins from another engine. I guess it depends on what you do with it. If your gonna not be moving too fast and stuck in mud with it under load ect, then full tins would be a good idea. If your just going to be going around out in the open with a pulley swapped setup, maybe it would stay a bit cooler on it's own.

Either way, full tins are the coolest option. The airflow is definately going to be missing some of the engine without them. I ran my mini tractor with only the fan shroud and an extension on the lower cylinder side (the one with the big air gap). I didn't have an issue with it but I never ran it in the woods or under heavy load without moving. So it always had decent air flow.

18.5 is plenty of power for some decent speed though if you gear it up a bit.
Back to top Go down
mrshaft696
Veteran
Veteran
mrshaft696

Forum Rep : 67

96 mtd gt build Empty
PostSubject: Re: 96 mtd gt build   96 mtd gt build Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2019 10:27 am

I have tins if you want to buy them, not sure where you are from, let me know.
Back to top Go down
yeethaw
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
yeethaw

Forum Rep : 2

96 mtd gt build Empty
PostSubject: Re: 96 mtd gt build   96 mtd gt build Icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2019 10:25 pm

96 mtd gt build Wh6en_10
so i decided to mess with the craptd some more last night. i rigged up a gravity feed gas tank since i didnt think the fuel pump was working and i ended up being able to drive it some, very slowly but still got it to move more then 20 feet which is a first, so it bogs down in low range and also when i put it at 3/4 or more throttle so im thinking that it may need a magneto
[b]my current plans for this mower are
new coil/magneto
rebuild the fuel pump
free up the vari drive pulley
get tins for it
when i get new rear tires for the craftsman im gonna take the old ones and put them on the front of this thing since it has 8" front rims also would like to get try and get rid of the vari drive and just have a 2 speed for romping around in the woods other then that i wont be working on this thing that much since im focusing on the craftsman for now
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

96 mtd gt build Empty
PostSubject: Re: 96 mtd gt build   96 mtd gt build Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

96 mtd gt build
Page 1 of 1