All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum!
2019 Build Off Underway!

Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
CraftsmanQuad19
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project  - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project    Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2019 11:36 pm

Oh ok I gotcha. I assumed when you said copper head gasket you were running it because it was thinner to boost compression. Didn’t think about copper gaskets being any number of thicknesses haha. My bad
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran
mr.modified

Forum Rep : 88

PostSubject: Re: Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project    Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 06, 2019 11:40 pm

Some good news and latest progress on the Broadmoor RS project. I found the old rear fender from the simplicity adventure edition. When I built that machine, it really didn't seem to fit too well so I just went without. I never thought I would use it so I stored it in one of my car projects to use for sheet metal. I was thinking I already used some pieces of it, but luckily, I thought about it the other day and found it was still intact! So now I have a good template to use for the RS rear fenders. The thing is, I measured out where the wheels will go and about 4/5th of the tires will stick out from under the edge of the stock fenders. Stock 70's Simplicity Broadmoors were a bit narrow... So some flares will be in order. I'm thinking leave the stock shape of the fender and just have black plastic fender extensions, but we'll see when we get to that point.
Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project  - Page 3 Img_7024

The pointed rear section is pretty common to all 70's simplicity's, so I'd like to try keeping a really close shape to the original. That way it will be fairly easy to recognize the look. I may be able to use the original fender as a form for making a fiberglass one. Maybe coat it with something so the fiberglass resin doesn't stick.  
Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project  - Page 3 Img_7023

Also, I've been emailing a lot of different people online to get more detailed specs on parts. Found out that ARC racing doesn't have charging magnets in any of their billet flywheels. For circle track, a constant loss system might be ok. But for things like Haspin or the Top tractor challenge, I would rather have an on board charging system for the battery. No way I'm adding a heavy automotive alternator to this build, way too much weight and also too much engine drag. I tracked down a small alternator used on kubota engines which might work.
Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran
RichieRichOverdrive

Forum Rep : 89

PostSubject: Re: Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project    Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 07, 2019 7:06 pm

How about a power steering pump? Maybe you could find one small enough, plus it would be belt driven.
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran
mr.modified

PostSubject: Re: Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project    Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 08, 2019 1:42 am

Power steering pump for the engine oil you mean? That might work if there was some kinda small one out there. I would think most would be more capacity than I need, but then again maybe not. I didn't think of that before.
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran
mr.modified

PostSubject: Re: Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project    Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 08, 2019 7:45 pm

The diff removed from the older transaxle for locking.
Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project  - Page 3 Img_7025

The case finally opened up on the newer trans. Much beefier 6 gear diff instead of only 4. Plus the plate holding it is a lot heavier. Also, many of the gears have thicker teeth (with less quantity, same diameter gear). I need to make sure they are all the same ratios and check them carefully so I can sort out my gearing with the tire sizes and all that later on.
Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project  - Page 3 Img_7026
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran
mr.modified

PostSubject: Re: Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project    Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 13, 2019 11:52 pm

Finally added wheels to the RS drawing. I was sorting out the distance between the front axle center line and the engine. Also I wasn't sure what wheel size I was going to use for sure, or how much room I needed between the live axle and the 633 axle.

So for now here is what I came up with. 42" outside width. Front axle center line to front of engine: 6". 1" between rear of engine and front of 633 transaxle. And from the 633 axle to the live axle is 7". The rear swing arm will be fairly short with this setup but shouldn't be an issue for mild rear suspension.

At the moment, I'm not 100% sure on steering placement. I figured 6" would be enough room to fit a golf cart rack and pinion between the engine and front axle line. One possibility is to put the rack in front of the wheels and then you might be able to move the engine and transmission forward a few more inches. But you've gotta keep it back far enough so that the drive pulley clears the front tire.

To get more room in the rear, the 633 could be turned upwards at an angle and the 633 axle moved forward somewhat. But this would bring the center of gravity up and also create some possible lubrication issues. The shifter would be at an odd angle too if I went too far. But it shouldn't be necessary to tip it up more than stock.

Front of tractor to the left. The 633 is staggered to the right of the machine to line up the pulleys, leaving room for a fuel tank or battery on the left. The opposed flywheel also counter balances the off set transaxle since it's at the far left of the frame. About 1.5" is left for the swing arm attachment on the right 633 axle (which will need to be cut down of course). Everything is going to be very snug, but (hopefully) easy to get at.
Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project  - Page 3 Img_7027

Current plan specs:
-42" width
-44" wheelbase
-Wheels (front and rear) 18 x 8.5 x 10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project    Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project  - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum :: Tractor Project Builds :: Off Road & Rally Tractors-
Jump to: