All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

13 Horse briggs LT engine pulley spacers

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
rustybutterknife

13 Horse briggs LT engine pulley spacers Empty
PostSubject: 13 Horse briggs LT engine pulley spacers   13 Horse briggs LT engine pulley spacers Icon_minitimeNovember 21st 2019, 8:12 am

Hello folks, I have been pouring over diagrams trying to find info and I can't seem to find what I am looking for.
I have found a used 13H that I am going to be using to replace a blown up 11h. when I got the engine it had already been removed from the donor machine and the pulley was off  laying next to it. the seller threw it in and handed me a bolt and what look to be 2 spacers. all the diagrams I can find just show the pulley going straight on no spacers. I am curious what the orientation might be or if I even need them at all. hoping someone else has run into this.
13 Horse briggs LT engine pulley spacers Img_2012
13 Horse briggs LT engine pulley spacers Img_2015

I'm also having a little heartburn about what to do about the wiring on this engine but I am going to try to figure that out and maybe make a topic for that in the appropriate spot later

thanks for looking
-Josh
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: 13 Horse briggs LT engine pulley spacers   13 Horse briggs LT engine pulley spacers Icon_minitimeNovember 21st 2019, 9:30 am

May need a little more information like what it could have come from. I have only seen the flat one with the curved inner lip on the ones I have pulled.

Looking at that pulley. It is really long, so neither of those spacers may go with it. Bolt looks a little short for that longer stack too. If the 11hp is a briggs too, I would just reuse that one's pulley if the bore is the same on the output shaft. You could run into alignment issues if the pulley stacks are different.

BTW, welcome to ATLTF.

13 Horse briggs LT engine pulley spacers Sig115PROJECTS:
     Marshal ........93 Craftsman GT6000      
     Red Bandit ...72 Wheel Horse Raider 12
     Dirty Rat........77 Sears Suburban
     Bowser..........01 Murray Widebody LT
     Other projects
Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!
13 Horse briggs LT engine pulley spacers Sig21413 Horse briggs LT engine pulley spacers Sig314
Back to top Go down
rustybutterknife

PostSubject: Re: 13 Horse briggs LT engine pulley spacers   13 Horse briggs LT engine pulley spacers Icon_minitimeNovember 21st 2019, 9:38 am

MightyRaze wrote:
May need a little more information like what it could have come from.  I have only seen the flat one with the curved inner lip on the ones I have pulled.

Looking at that pulley.  It is really long, so neither of those spacers may go with it.  Bolt looks a little short for that longer stack too.  If the 11hp is a briggs too, I would just reuse that one's pulley if the bore is the same on the output shaft.  You could run into alignment issues if the pulley stacks are different.

BTW, welcome to ATLTF.

Sounds like Sage advice. I will take a look at the old one pull a tape and see what's what. the length of the pulley is a little deceiving, the short bolt goes up inside the pulley and the land that it tightens against is mid-tube. that's another aspect of it that's throwing me off a little.

Thanks,
-Josh
Back to top Go down
mrshaft696
Established Member
mrshaft696
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: 13 Horse briggs LT engine pulley spacers   13 Horse briggs LT engine pulley spacers Icon_minitimeNovember 21st 2019, 9:58 am

Those spacers are used when on some models the engine was bolted to the top of the frame with isolating spacers between the engine block and the top of the frame....

The spacer was used to lower the pulley down to line back up with the belt....

If you engine is bolted straight down to the frame of the tractor you don't use the spacer or the pulley will be to low...

So the answer is the spacer goes on top of the pulley before you bolt it on, on certain models.
Back to top Go down
rustybutterknife

PostSubject: Re: 13 Horse briggs LT engine pulley spacers   13 Horse briggs LT engine pulley spacers Icon_minitimeNovember 21st 2019, 10:08 am

mrshaft696 wrote:
Those spacers are used when on some models the engine was bolted to the top of the frame with isolating spacers between the engine block and the top of the frame....

The spacer was used to lower the pulley down to line back up with the belt....

If you engine is bolted straight down to the frame of the tractor you don't use the spacer or the pulley will be to low...

So the answer is the spacer goes on top of the pulley before you bolt it on, on certain models.

Excellent, Thank you!
Back to top Go down
Murraymountain
Veteran Member
Murraymountain
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: 13 Horse briggs LT engine pulley spacers   13 Horse briggs LT engine pulley spacers Icon_minitimeNovember 21st 2019, 10:18 am

I would say your 13 horse came off an MTD because they used strange spacers like that for their Vari-drive system. What type mower are you going to put it on. Either way, I would use the spacers only to keep the belt from sloping one way or another. But as stated before, depending on the type of mower, you may not even need them.
Back to top Go down
rustybutterknife

PostSubject: Re: 13 Horse briggs LT engine pulley spacers   13 Horse briggs LT engine pulley spacers Icon_minitimeNovember 21st 2019, 10:28 am

Murraymountain wrote:
I would say your 13 horse came off an MTD because they used strange spacers like that for their Vari-drive system. What type mower are you going to put it on. Either way, I would use the spacers only to keep the belt from sloping one way or another. But as stated before, depending on the type of mower, you may not even need them.

I'm thinking i don't need them at all but i'm going to measure the old engine pulley to be sure. it is going to be rigidly bolted to the engine plate in the stock configuration on an older mid 80's Craftsman (boxy silver 2 square headlight guy)
13 Horse briggs LT engine pulley spacers 386971384

WCS i may just use my old pulley

Thanks,
-Josh
Back to top Go down
mrshaft696
Established Member
mrshaft696
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: 13 Horse briggs LT engine pulley spacers   13 Horse briggs LT engine pulley spacers Icon_minitimeNovember 21st 2019, 10:54 am

rustybutterknife wrote:
Murraymountain wrote:

I'm thinking i don't need them at all but i'm going to measure the old engine pulley to be sure. it is going to be rigidly bolted to the engine plate in the stock configuration on an older mid 80's Craftsman (boxy silver 2 square headlight guy)

Thanks,
-Josh

If you had one of those with a old OHV Tecumseh engine it probably used those spacer things.
Back to top Go down
rustybutterknife

PostSubject: Re: 13 Horse briggs LT engine pulley spacers   13 Horse briggs LT engine pulley spacers Icon_minitimeNovember 21st 2019, 11:07 am

mrshaft696 wrote:
rustybutterknife wrote:
Murraymountain wrote:

Thanks,
-Josh

If you had one of those with a old OHV Tecumseh engine it probably used those spacer things.

The old engine in this machine was an 11hp B&S but i do have another craftsman (older body style with the fish mouth grille) that has a 10hp Hecumseh with the square body starter...weird, anyway, i'll take a look at that one too and see what it has just for reference.

Thanks,
-Josh
Back to top Go down
Murraymountain
Veteran Member
Murraymountain
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: 13 Horse briggs LT engine pulley spacers   13 Horse briggs LT engine pulley spacers Icon_minitimeNovember 21st 2019, 11:10 am

Okay, Yeah I use the pulley that's on it. They should be interchangeable since it's a Briggs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 13 Horse briggs LT engine pulley spacers   13 Horse briggs LT engine pulley spacers Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

13 Horse briggs LT engine pulley spacers
Page 1 of 1