All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

I GOT A WORKSPACE (but it needs work like everything else)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
yeethaw
yeethaw

2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant

I GOT A WORKSPACE (but it needs work like everything else) Empty
PostSubject: I GOT A WORKSPACE (but it needs work like everything else)   I GOT A WORKSPACE (but it needs work like everything else) Icon_minitimeDecember 9th 2019, 6:01 pm

So we have a storage container that Hasn’t been used in a while so I got permission from my dad to use it as a space to work on my tractor and other projects but it has two problems
1 inside it’s VERY humid to the point where the engines on the sealing equipment are all seized so I need a way to get the humidity down in there
2 since it’s been used to store grease/oil/90 weight/gas/diesel and every other liquid imaginable there’s a coating of mostly grease on the floor that’s been there so long it’s mixed with rust so I need advice on a way of cleaning that off
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist

PostSubject: Re: I GOT A WORKSPACE (but it needs work like everything else)   I GOT A WORKSPACE (but it needs work like everything else) Icon_minitimeDecember 9th 2019, 7:12 pm

If you have any old gas, dump some of that on the floor and scrub it around. Gas is a solvent. Not the most eco friendly though, so use your best judgment.

Mineral spirits might work too
Back to top Go down
TheBeal
Veteran Member
TheBeal
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: I GOT A WORKSPACE (but it needs work like everything else)   I GOT A WORKSPACE (but it needs work like everything else) Icon_minitimeDecember 9th 2019, 7:58 pm

I mean... do you REALLY need to clean the floor off? I think that would take alot of solvent to clean well.

Throw down some sawdust in any wet areas, and just use it. It will clean up after a while.

Get some vents or windows in there and a fan. That should help.
Assuming you have power in there, a dehumidifier would also be a good idea.

If you could find a solar panel, that could be rigged up with a fan and dehumidifier.
Back to top Go down
yeethaw
yeethaw

2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: I GOT A WORKSPACE (but it needs work like everything else)   I GOT A WORKSPACE (but it needs work like everything else) Icon_minitimeDecember 9th 2019, 11:11 pm

I mean I just want to clean the floor up to the point where I won’t slip while walking on it and I won’t ruin my clothes when I have to crawl under the tractor
Back to top Go down
mrshaft696
Established Member
mrshaft696
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: I GOT A WORKSPACE (but it needs work like everything else)   I GOT A WORKSPACE (but it needs work like everything else) Icon_minitimeDecember 10th 2019, 9:58 am

yeah I would certainly cut a window or a sunroof, you will probably choke on fumes if that is what has been in there....

Is the floor metal then I take it? I would scrub it clean and paint it with garage floor paint, or just put rubber mats over top of it where you want to work.
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist

PostSubject: Re: I GOT A WORKSPACE (but it needs work like everything else)   I GOT A WORKSPACE (but it needs work like everything else) Icon_minitimeDecember 10th 2019, 10:50 am

A creeper is 27 bucks at harbor freight, 100% worth’s the investment
Back to top Go down
yeethaw
yeethaw

2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: I GOT A WORKSPACE (but it needs work like everything else)   I GOT A WORKSPACE (but it needs work like everything else) Icon_minitimeDecember 10th 2019, 10:52 am

the floors metal and i cant really cut a hole in it since its not mine but the fumes arent that bad and will mostly go away if i air it out a while but what im prolly gonna go for the floor is scrape all the stuff into a pile with a shovel and throw it out and then try to clean whats left up with some old gas
Back to top Go down
yeethaw
yeethaw

2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: I GOT A WORKSPACE (but it needs work like everything else)   I GOT A WORKSPACE (but it needs work like everything else) Icon_minitimeDecember 10th 2019, 10:54 am

also i have a creeper but the amount of stuff on the floor still needs to be cleaned since theres prolly a half a centimeter layer of oil on the floor all over
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Veteran Member
mr.modified
Veteran Member

2015 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2015 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
1st Place Build-Off 2014
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2014
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: I GOT A WORKSPACE (but it needs work like everything else)   I GOT A WORKSPACE (but it needs work like everything else) Icon_minitimeDecember 11th 2019, 1:03 am

I can feel myself getting a headache thinking of smelling the bad gas fumes. I suppose a bit at a time might clean it up a bit. But if there's any thick coating, then yeah I guess scrape that out with a shovel first. Pics tho man pics!

And if you have any power nearby then you'd be set. A dehumidifier would definitely handle a space that small. If you had a rusty spot somewhere near the floor and could just poke a hole big enough to get a garden hose though. Then you'd really be set. You'd never have to empty the dehumidifier.
Back to top Go down
yeethaw
yeethaw

2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: I GOT A WORKSPACE (but it needs work like everything else)   I GOT A WORKSPACE (but it needs work like everything else) Icon_minitimeDecember 11th 2019, 7:59 am

Welp I got it organized in a way that I can get the tractor in to work on it but the current problem is that all the floor crud has become frozen so It’s a paint to get it off and I’m probably just gonna wait till tomorrow since it’ll be above freezing for once
Back to top Go down
yeethaw
yeethaw

2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: I GOT A WORKSPACE (but it needs work like everything else)   I GOT A WORKSPACE (but it needs work like everything else) Icon_minitimeDecember 13th 2019, 5:36 pm

I GOT A WORKSPACE (but it needs work like everything else) 72439910
So for everyone asking if I needed to clean the floor, yes I did here’s all the stuff that was on the floor and this was only the front half that I cleaned up
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist

PostSubject: Re: I GOT A WORKSPACE (but it needs work like everything else)   I GOT A WORKSPACE (but it needs work like everything else) Icon_minitimeDecember 13th 2019, 7:17 pm

Gonna burn it?
Back to top Go down
yeethaw
yeethaw

2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: I GOT A WORKSPACE (but it needs work like everything else)   I GOT A WORKSPACE (but it needs work like everything else) Icon_minitimeDecember 14th 2019, 9:50 am

Na i just tossed it in the dumpster since it’s prolly not a good idea to burn it since I have no clue what’s in there
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I GOT A WORKSPACE (but it needs work like everything else)   I GOT A WORKSPACE (but it needs work like everything else) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I GOT A WORKSPACE (but it needs work like everything else)
Page 1 of 1