All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

LOCKED TRANSAXLE

Go down 
+4
Ford Boi
blanket80
dangeroustoys56
craftsman30mph
8 posters
AuthorMessage
craftsman30mph
craftsman30mph

LOCKED TRANSAXLE Empty
PostSubject: LOCKED TRANSAXLE   LOCKED TRANSAXLE Icon_minitimeSeptember 30th 2011, 8:33 pm

Quick question for you guys, I want to lock my transaxle and I want to know if it is worth it and if it breaks easier, because I am a pretty good welder even tho I haven't done it much But let me know if it is worth the work thanks guys
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

LOCKED TRANSAXLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: LOCKED TRANSAXLE   LOCKED TRANSAXLE Icon_minitimeSeptember 30th 2011, 9:23 pm

Depends- you might not like it - first itll be hard to steer with a locked axle, specially in trail/rock conditions.

To weld, the trans gears will need to be super clean to get a solid weld, and theres no guarantee that it wont break if run too hard.

Once i get my couple mod tractors going with the straight rear axles- ill probably be swearing up and down i shoulda used a diff axle.
Back to top Go down
craftsman30mph
craftsman30mph

LOCKED TRANSAXLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: LOCKED TRANSAXLE   LOCKED TRANSAXLE Icon_minitimeSeptember 30th 2011, 11:35 pm

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
Depends- you might not like it - first itll be hard to steer with a locked axle, specially in trail/rock conditions.

To weld, the trans gears will need to be super clean to get a solid weld, and theres no guarantee that it wont break if run too hard.

Once i get my couple mod tractors going with the straight rear axles- ill probably be swearing up and down i shoulda used a diff axle.
I will really only be using mine for mudding I don't have a lot of rough territory around me so mostly just mud and I want as much traction as possible thats why I was considering it
Back to top Go down
blanket80
blanket80

LOCKED TRANSAXLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: LOCKED TRANSAXLE   LOCKED TRANSAXLE Icon_minitimeOctober 1st 2011, 2:08 am

If it is welded right, all the slag out of it, and you put back together right. it will be just as strong or stronger than before. I welded mine in my mudder over a year ago and its still going good. The only times I've had problems was if I messed up welding, or put it back together wrong. I would try to do it the way fearlessfront has in his video, but there are other techniques aswell.
Back to top Go down
Ford Boi
Ford Boi

LOCKED TRANSAXLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: LOCKED TRANSAXLE   LOCKED TRANSAXLE Icon_minitimeOctober 1st 2011, 9:21 am

I've welded many differentials, different ways and I've rarely had problems. Usually I will break teeth off the gears or shear the center pins, my welds never break:) This is a picture of my "fozzy" spider gears, an Idea I took from a friend's full-size Bronco.
LOCKED TRANSAXLE 40421_10150252190225331_901025330_14234959_5939064_n

I was skeptical, but it's been run for over a year as a mudder, rock crawler, been rammed and slammed, I even broke an axle clean off, and my diff is still solid. Also this "fozzy" allows some rotation of the diff in tight situaions. When I took the transaxle apart to replace the broken axle I was amazed at the condition of the differential.
Back to top Go down
Jamus
Established Member
Jamus
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

LOCKED TRANSAXLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: LOCKED TRANSAXLE   LOCKED TRANSAXLE Icon_minitimeOctober 1st 2011, 9:46 am

I wish I'd done the fozzy locker but forgot about it. I doubt mine will break but the fozzy would have been easier and less work/cleanup.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcbashers.com
redneckcarrow
redneckcarrow

LOCKED TRANSAXLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: LOCKED TRANSAXLE   LOCKED TRANSAXLE Icon_minitimeOctober 1st 2011, 10:05 pm

like the fozzy locker never thought of that it would be a lot easyer becouse no slag in the transaxle but if i dont do it that way i would go with fearlessfronts way just my two sents
Back to top Go down
craftsman30mph
craftsman30mph

LOCKED TRANSAXLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: LOCKED TRANSAXLE   LOCKED TRANSAXLE Icon_minitimeOctober 1st 2011, 10:08 pm

how do these so called "fozzy gears work??? does the welded teeth make it so they can't spin??

Back to top Go down
redneckcarrow
redneckcarrow

LOCKED TRANSAXLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: LOCKED TRANSAXLE   LOCKED TRANSAXLE Icon_minitimeOctober 1st 2011, 10:20 pm

yup exactly
Back to top Go down
Jamus
Established Member
Jamus
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

LOCKED TRANSAXLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: LOCKED TRANSAXLE   LOCKED TRANSAXLE Icon_minitimeOctober 1st 2011, 11:08 pm

Throwing a wrench in the gears as the say. However one thing I've read about the fozzy locker in truck axles is that the will try to walk up over the welds and it can crack the carrier. Doubt mowers have to worry about it though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcbashers.com
blanket80
blanket80

LOCKED TRANSAXLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: LOCKED TRANSAXLE   LOCKED TRANSAXLE Icon_minitimeOctober 2nd 2011, 1:23 am

I've never heard of the "fozzy" before, but it might be worth a try.
Back to top Go down
dirtybird
dirtybird

LOCKED TRANSAXLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: LOCKED TRANSAXLE   LOCKED TRANSAXLE Icon_minitimeOctober 2nd 2011, 11:51 am

Ford Boi wrote:
I've welded many differentials, different ways and I've rarely had problems. Usually I will break teeth off the gears or shear the center pins, my welds never break:) This is a picture of my "fozzy" spider gears, an Idea I took from a friend's full-size Bronco.
LOCKED TRANSAXLE 40421_10150252190225331_901025330_14234959_5939064_n

I was skeptical, but it's been run for over a year as a mudder, rock crawler, been rammed and slammed, I even broke an axle clean off, and my diff is still solid. Also this "fozzy" allows some rotation of the diff in tight situaions. When I took the transaxle apart to replace the broken axle I was amazed at the condition of the differential.

Thats a nice set up!,, very interesting!,, I used to live in yarmouth NS, I'm there all the time.
Back to top Go down
Ford Boi
Ford Boi

LOCKED TRANSAXLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: LOCKED TRANSAXLE   LOCKED TRANSAXLE Icon_minitimeOctober 3rd 2011, 10:43 pm

craftsman30mph wrote:
how do these so called "fozzy gears work??? does the welded teeth make it so they can't spin??

Exactly. It allowes it to turn so much either way, then locks. It's great it tight situations where you need to steer . I used alot of solid welded axles and had trouble. For my racers I weld the spider gears right to the center pin. Great for drifting. I suppose you could modify the amont of movement in the diff by filling more or fewer teeth.

Back to top Go down
1MurrayMayhem1

LOCKED TRANSAXLE Empty
PostSubject: welded rear end   LOCKED TRANSAXLE Icon_minitimeOctober 29th 2011, 8:57 pm

welded mine up about 2 months ago and have not had any problems. I am actually amazed at the diference in my ability to climb in the rough stuff.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

LOCKED TRANSAXLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: LOCKED TRANSAXLE   LOCKED TRANSAXLE Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

LOCKED TRANSAXLE
Page 1 of 1