All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Front spindle extensions without welder??

Go down 
+10
1997 Murray
Stretch44875
dked41
arild365
Webmaster
motorhead45102
CMHN
Chunk
dangeroustoys56
indianaboy93
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
motorhead45102

Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2010, 8:08 pm

well sounds like your having all kinds of fun, i doubt ill get anything done this week cause thursday and friday im off to dayton ohio for a ford/aaa competition and if i get first place im going to be gone in detroit michigan for a week for the national competition. and fearless idk if you checked youtube yet but i left comments wondering where you were and what if you have done to the mower, so i found out youve been really busy
Back to top Go down
indianaboy93

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2010, 9:32 pm

FearlessFront wrote:
indianaboy93 wrote:
FearlessFront wrote:
Wow, I've been gone way too long! lol.... Looks like you've got it figured out though. The spindles support all the weight, the bolt is really just a retainer. It should work just fine.

well do you disagree about using JB weld to put on bolt threads to the spindles?
and welcome back (you're murray inspired me to get my mower back out and work on it)

Well, work mostly... Since it's warmed up, I've been busy working long hours. Plus, for the past couple of weeks, I've been shopping around for a new car. I hate dealing with car dealers! Unfourtunetly, I have to sell my truck... Crying or Very sad The reason? we recently had baby #2(oh yeah, I'm almost 27 years old) and with my wife going back to work, and starting school sometime soon, I need a car that seats 4. My truck seats like 2.5 people... lol! I would love to get a 4 door truck, but they're expen$ive! Plus gas prices are going back up, so I guess I'm getting a car.

Don't worry though, even though I'm getting a four door family car, doesn't mean its all over... If you knew my history with cars, you would know whats gonna happen next... And the car I'm looking at buying...... Lets just say Twisted Evil It has some potential...

ANYWAY! enough about me! For your spindles, I wouldn't use jbweld... It's good stuff, but you don't need your wheel falling off in the middle of a mud pit. I like the idea of drilling a hole into the spindle and bolting into it.. You could also file or grind down the hub on the wheel to make it more narrow. But in the long run, I would get a welder and a grinder.

good luck findin a new car and congrats on the new addition to your family.

yea i'm either gonna grind down the hub on the wheels or wait until i find a welder or access to one. as soon as i get that done i will be able to move on to doing my front bumper and then who knows. probably rear bumber. then maybe slow it down some so i can get better torque and better crawling speeds.
Back to top Go down
arild365
arild365

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2010, 10:21 pm

all i did is grind a quarter inch off the inside of the rim and used the c clip
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/arild365
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeApril 26th 2010, 6:15 am

arild365 wrote:

Thats what I was thinking! It sounds like it would work great. Still using the stock hardware and all.
Back to top Go down
http://ww.atltf.com
indianaboy93

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeApril 26th 2010, 6:50 am

arild365 wrote:

thats what i thought about doing. i was just afraid that it might weaken the rim and make it collapse some or the hub break away from the rim or something
Back to top Go down
arild365
arild365

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeApril 26th 2010, 9:43 am

if looked threw it and it doesnt weakin anything, i was jumping on it everywere possible and its sturdy as a rock

P.S Fearless i think my tractor could beat yours once i get my hubs Razz
Back to top Go down
CMHN
CMHN

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeApril 26th 2010, 11:49 am

Oh.... that sounds like a challenge or something.
Back to top Go down
http://ctraugh.blogspot.com/
indianaboy93

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeApril 26th 2010, 3:55 pm

arild365 wrote:
if looked threw it and it doesnt weakin anything, i was jumping on it everywere possible and its sturdy as a rock

i might try and do this. i wouldn't be taking too much off the rim hub.

and Fearless it sounds like someone wants a Tractor Off!!!!! lol
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeApril 26th 2010, 5:58 pm

cheers TRACTOR OFF!!!! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/csakvids
indianaboy93

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeApril 26th 2010, 9:18 pm

FearlessFront wrote:
arild365 wrote:

Thats what I was thinking! It sounds like it would work great. Still using the stock hardware and all.

i might be able and have one of my dad's buddies (or him) use a lathe at his work and take some metal off of it for me. Very Happy

oh and i could have probably had my dad weld some studs on at his work (all he does all day is fix machines and stuff) ugh, i was thinking too hard when the obvious was right in front of me. darn it. i feel so stupid. Embarassed lol
Back to top Go down
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeApril 28th 2010, 9:31 pm

arild365 wrote:

My friends tractor beats all of ours! lol.... For now..

You just wait! Once I hit 250 subscribers on you tube, I'm going to make a special video... I'll probably get hurt or break my tractor, but at least it'll be on video!
Back to top Go down
arild365
arild365

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeApril 28th 2010, 9:35 pm

cant wait! Whats your friend got for a tractor?
Back to top Go down
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeApril 28th 2010, 9:58 pm

arild365 wrote:

That green mtd. We'll have to make a vd of it. It really is heavy duty, and has 25" x 10" tires on the back, and locked. Most transaxles would snap instantly with that big of a tire
Back to top Go down
indianaboy93

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeApril 28th 2010, 9:59 pm

FearlessFront wrote:
arild365 wrote:

That green mtd. We'll have to make a vd of it. It really is heavy duty, and has 25" x 10" tires on the back, and locked. Most transaxles would snap instantly with that big of a tire

are you talking about the mower that your friend bent up the steering linkage when muddin in that one trench thing??
Back to top Go down
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMay 1st 2010, 9:18 am

LOL! yeah, thats the one! it's got 1" axles with 4 bolt hubs stock. Were STILL trying to fix that thing! Thats why I haven't done much to the craftsman latley.
Back to top Go down
indianaboy93

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMay 1st 2010, 10:29 am

FearlessFront wrote:
LOL! yeah, thats the one! it's got 1" axles with 4 bolt hubs stock. Were STILL trying to fix that thing! Thats why I haven't done much to the craftsman latley.

i remember that video. it was great. i wish i had those tires! so beastly lookin!!
man, i can't wait to see it goin again, and the craftsman too
oh question, why doesn't he have a hood on his? just wondering
Back to top Go down
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMay 1st 2010, 11:36 am

indianaboy93 wrote:
FearlessFront wrote:

i remember that video. it was great. i wish i had those tires! so beastly lookin!!
man, i can't wait to see it goin again, and the craftsman too
oh question, why doesn't he have a hood on his? just wondering

I don't know why he doesn't have a hood.... I think he wants to exo-cage it. I think it looks dumb, but hey, it's not my machine... If it was mine, it would be HUGE!
Back to top Go down
indianaboy93

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMay 1st 2010, 2:57 pm

haha. i'll just take those rear wheels and that straight pipe and put them on my mower. lol
Back to top Go down
dked41
dked41

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeApril 27th 2012, 11:59 am

Case lawn tractors have a front spindle that is a lot longer than most, and a good 8 inch rim with bearings.
Back to top Go down
Stretch44875
Administrator
Stretch44875
Administrator

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeApril 27th 2012, 1:39 pm

Think I have one of those axles. It's on a scrap tractor at the moment, cast iron axle. Little narrow if I remember right. If someone wants it and can pick up, it's theirs.
Back to top Go down
1997 Murray
Veteran Member
1997 Murray
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Finalist
2014 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist
2016 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFebruary 26th 2014, 3:14 pm

has anyone considered grinding down the hub in order to fit rear tires on the front?
Back to top Go down
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFebruary 26th 2014, 4:50 pm

DEAD THREAD!!!

Please look at the last post's date that it was posted.  This thread is about one year old!
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFebruary 26th 2014, 5:02 pm

Yeah- this sucka's gettin' moldy alright...

But to answer your question- yes. I did once awhile back. Some careful cutoff wheel work, shortening factory rear wheel bores so a friend cout put them on his front end. I'm not a fan of doing it though. You've got a plain steel bore, riding on a plain steel shaft. If' not for some grease, it'd eat itself in short order. I much prefer to use bushings, if not bearings.
Back to top Go down
Abryant2004

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeAugust 5th 2018, 1:55 pm

I've been toying with the idea of putting rear wheel hubs up front if I can find the right size bushing something like that you can put what ever size you want with out welding
Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21
AllisKidD21

5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts!
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant
1st Place Build-Off 2019
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2019

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeAugust 5th 2018, 2:00 pm

Okay this thread hasn't been touched since 2014, probably not much point in posting here now.

"This'll either wake you up or put you to sleep forever!"- Red Green         "Whatever you do you should do right, even if it's something wrong." - Hank Hill

- MTD Off-Road Build
      - Ford LT 110 Off-Road Build
      - Craftsman GT 6000 Off-Road Build
       - Sears LT11 Rat Rod Build *2019 Build-Off Winner!*

Garden Tractor Collection: Allis B-110 x2, 710, 716, & 410 - Wheel Horse 655, 953 & 500 Special - Case 444 - Bolens Versamatic, G10 & 1668 Diesel Swapped - Cub 106, 124 & 1000/149 Frankentractor - Ford 120, LGT 125 & 145 - White 1650 Yard Boss - Moto Mower 710-100
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Front spindle extensions without welder??
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4