All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Can you give me some idea for waterproofing my tractor?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

Can you give me some idea for waterproofing my tractor? Empty
PostSubject: Can you give me some idea for waterproofing my tractor?   Can you give me some idea for waterproofing my tractor? Icon_minitimeDecember 8th 2011, 7:37 am

I am currently building my mudding tractor and Im wondering what do I need to do for electrical. The battery Originally sits under the hood and the gas tank is under the seat. Im wondering If I need to keep the battery in a water proof container to prevent getting water in the battery. And im moving my solenoid near the top of the hood. Would I need to do anything other than the solenoid? Maybe liquid electrical tape the connections?
Back to top Go down
http://www.stat10.tk/
Ford Boi
Ford Boi

PostSubject: Re: Can you give me some idea for waterproofing my tractor?   Can you give me some idea for waterproofing my tractor? Icon_minitimeDecember 8th 2011, 2:12 pm

I wouldn't worry about your connections as long as they are tight, maybe spray a bit of fluid film on the connections or dielectric grease to prevent corrosion, and your battery should be high enough under the hood unless you plan on going in 4 feet of water lol. Batteries are quite tight and won't get water in them unless they are submerged for long periods.
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: Can you give me some idea for waterproofing my tractor?   Can you give me some idea for waterproofing my tractor? Icon_minitimeDecember 8th 2011, 5:57 pm

Thanks Ford Boi, what about the ignition system on the engine? I'm only expecting my sparkplugs and some of the wire to be underwater, not the magneto. Ill probably buy some dielectric grease and put it on the connections. I just don't want to be stuck in the middle of a mud hole and have the tractor quit on me.
Back to top Go down
Ford Boi
Ford Boi

PostSubject: Re: Can you give me some idea for waterproofing my tractor?   Can you give me some idea for waterproofing my tractor? Icon_minitimeDecember 8th 2011, 7:23 pm

Well I've only had mine deep enough maybe 2 or 3 times to wet the plug wire and it never skipped a beat. And I have no grease or anything in the boot. Would be a good idea to smear some in there though.
Back to top Go down
CityRedneck
CityRedneck

PostSubject: Re: Can you give me some idea for waterproofing my tractor?   Can you give me some idea for waterproofing my tractor? Icon_minitimeDecember 8th 2011, 9:03 pm

well heres what im doing on my craftsman ( btw how deep of water are you going in? because this is for if your hole tractor will be under the water) im taking the solinoid off and bruffing it clean. then getting some of the plasti dip and spraying it on then spraying on some flex seal stuff on too. and also putting it up at the top of the hood (possibly getting a waterproof box and drilling holes for wiring then flexsealing around the holes to seal them)
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: Can you give me some idea for waterproofing my tractor?   Can you give me some idea for waterproofing my tractor? Icon_minitimeDecember 8th 2011, 9:55 pm

Im planning on driving through ditches, most of the time they are only 1-1 1/2 ft deep but they get upto 4ft deep(When its 4ft deep its when the ice is breaking up so the tractor would be at max 2ft underwater because the ditch is about as wide as the tractor is long). Well Thanks and Im guessing that what ill do(maybe not as much as what CityRedneck is going to do) but I will use the dielectric grease, etc.
Back to top Go down
Mr&Mrs.Reckson
Mr&Mrs.Reckson

PostSubject: electrical for a mudding tractor   Can you give me some idea for waterproofing my tractor? Icon_minitimeFebruary 11th 2012, 12:23 am

try getting an ammo can they are easy to find and are pretty cheap and they are sealed on the lid but you would have to make 2 holes for the posts and ya can put it any where you like it and they look cool i use one on mine if any body wants i can show how to make one
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: Can you give me some idea for waterproofing my tractor?   Can you give me some idea for waterproofing my tractor? Icon_minitimeFebruary 14th 2012, 10:00 pm

batman010208 wrote:
try getting an ammo can they are easy to find and are pretty cheap and they are sealed on the lid but you would have to make 2 holes for the posts and ya can put it any where you like it and they look cool i use one on mine if any body wants i can show how to make one

Thats a great idea, they are already bullet proof and you can modify the box to hold tools etc to. do you mind showing us some pictures? just to get an idea
Back to top Go down
Mr&Mrs.Reckson
Mr&Mrs.Reckson

PostSubject: Re: Can you give me some idea for waterproofing my tractor?   Can you give me some idea for waterproofing my tractor? Icon_minitimeFebruary 14th 2012, 10:09 pm

Can you give me some idea for waterproofing my tractor? Photo-0010

the one in the front is mine. you can see were the amo box is on the side my ice tea is in front of it lol. i will take more pics tomorrow
Back to top Go down
Bigal
Bigal

PostSubject: Re: Can you give me some idea for waterproofing my tractor?   Can you give me some idea for waterproofing my tractor? Icon_minitimeFebruary 15th 2012, 7:36 am

Nice Pic. Razz
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: Can you give me some idea for waterproofing my tractor?   Can you give me some idea for waterproofing my tractor? Icon_minitimeFebruary 16th 2012, 7:23 pm

batman010208 wrote:
Can you give me some idea for waterproofing my tractor? Photo-0010

the one in the front is mine. you can see were the amo box is on the side my ice tea is in front of it lol. i will take more pics tomorrow
Thats cool, If I have some time I might try it and maybe customize one so it fits into the dash area and half the lid opens for storage and the other half is for the electrical.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can you give me some idea for waterproofing my tractor?   Can you give me some idea for waterproofing my tractor? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Can you give me some idea for waterproofing my tractor?
Page 1 of 1