All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

My starter motor throws sparks when it hits the flywheel

Go down 
AuthorMessage
akcender
akcender

My starter motor throws sparks when it hits the flywheel Empty
PostSubject: My starter motor throws sparks when it hits the flywheel   My starter motor throws sparks when it hits the flywheel Icon_minitimeDecember 8th 2011, 4:21 pm

anyone elses starter motor make sparks when it hits the flywheel, i think its just because i have a low battery but i cant be sure
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: My starter motor throws sparks when it hits the flywheel   My starter motor throws sparks when it hits the flywheel Icon_minitimeDecember 8th 2011, 4:30 pm

If it is throwing sparks, you are grinding down the steel gear on the starter. once it starts rubbing, it will keep getting worse. A weak battery and or starter will cause this from not spinning fast enough to engage the gear.
a dirty/ sticky bendix will cause this too. some times you can turn the gear over for a quick fix but it will need to be replaced.
if it doesnt have a steel gear, you have big problems. time for a new starter!
Back to top Go down
akcender
akcender

PostSubject: Re: My starter motor throws sparks when it hits the flywheel   My starter motor throws sparks when it hits the flywheel Icon_minitimeDecember 8th 2011, 4:42 pm

rat88 wrote:
If it is throwing sparks, you are grinding down the steel gear on the starter. once it starts rubbing, it will keep getting worse. A weak battery and or starter will cause this from not spinning fast enough to engage the gear.
a dirty/ sticky bendix will cause this too. some times you can turn the gear over for a quick fix but it will need to be replaced.
if it doesnt have a steel gear, you have big problems. time for a new starter!

Thats the thing, it is brand new. i did notice when i was installing it that the teeth didnt mesh very well though, im thinking i might grind down the mounting bracket so the teeth will grab more. either that or ill check if the old starter gear is bigger and try to swap it witht that one
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: My starter motor throws sparks when it hits the flywheel   My starter motor throws sparks when it hits the flywheel Icon_minitimeDecember 8th 2011, 4:47 pm

are you sure its the right starter? briggs starters should just be " bolt on and go". usually if you have alignment problems, its the starter bearings
Back to top Go down
akcender
akcender

PostSubject: Re: My starter motor throws sparks when it hits the flywheel   My starter motor throws sparks when it hits the flywheel Icon_minitimeDecember 8th 2011, 10:03 pm

its the right starter, i matched up the numbers and everything else works fine, i dont know whats going on with it. its a tecumseh
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My starter motor throws sparks when it hits the flywheel   My starter motor throws sparks when it hits the flywheel Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My starter motor throws sparks when it hits the flywheel
Page 1 of 1