All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Can you drive your offroader on the road?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
canadianromper
canadianromper

drive - Can you drive your offroader on the road? Empty
PostSubject: Can you drive your offroader on the road?   drive - Can you drive your offroader on the road? Icon_minitimeDecember 9th 2011, 10:13 pm

are u aloud to drive your offroader on the road
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: Can you drive your offroader on the road?   drive - Can you drive your offroader on the road? Icon_minitimeDecember 9th 2011, 10:22 pm

I dont think your legally aloud in ontario but if you can consider it a method of transportation(or something like that) if you disabled
Back to top Go down
http://www.stat10.tk/
canadianromper
canadianromper

PostSubject: Re: Can you drive your offroader on the road?   drive - Can you drive your offroader on the road? Icon_minitimeDecember 9th 2011, 10:26 pm

well im ony 12 soo i don't know if i would be able to cause im putting a slow moving sing on it and i only dirve on the side of the road so im not sure
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: Can you drive your offroader on the road?   drive - Can you drive your offroader on the road? Icon_minitimeDecember 9th 2011, 10:35 pm

You might be able to get away with it if you lived on a farm and told a cop(if they pull you over) that your going to a feild to give someone there lunch or maybe go and pick up some hay from a different barn(on a different property)
Back to top Go down
canadianromper
canadianromper

PostSubject: Re: Can you drive your offroader on the road?   drive - Can you drive your offroader on the road? Icon_minitimeDecember 9th 2011, 10:38 pm

well i dont live on a farm but i go help my pappa in the summer everyday and i hate bugging my dad to take me over and my mom takes forevre to get up so i want to get over early so i can get to work
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: Can you drive your offroader on the road?   drive - Can you drive your offroader on the road? Icon_minitimeDecember 9th 2011, 10:39 pm

Im looking right now, search MTO Limited speed vehicles on google or Ministry of Transportation Limited speed vehicles for more information...
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: Can you drive your offroader on the road?   drive - Can you drive your offroader on the road? Icon_minitimeDecember 9th 2011, 10:45 pm

It looks like they have to be electric and produce no emissions...The only one I see that cant be electric is a Personal Mobility Device. Ive heard from friends that have insurance and trail passes on there ATVs that they are allowed to drive down dirt/gravel roads the same as cars and trucks but I don't know if that's a bylaw or provincial law.
Back to top Go down
canadianromper
canadianromper

PostSubject: Re: Can you drive your offroader on the road?   drive - Can you drive your offroader on the road? Icon_minitimeDecember 9th 2011, 10:49 pm

wel from my uderstanding and im only 12 i can leagaly drive my tractor on the side of the road
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: Can you drive your offroader on the road?   drive - Can you drive your offroader on the road? Icon_minitimeDecember 9th 2011, 10:53 pm

where did you find that? from people that told you? I just checked the MTO for ATVs and they say if it follows
"has four wheels, the tires of which are all in contact with the ground;
has steering handlebars;
has a seat that is designed to be straddled by the driver;
is designed to carry a driver only and no passengers; and
meets requirements of federal Motor Vehicle Safety Act (MVSA) and American National Standards Institute (ANSI standard)."
Then you have access to some portions of the road. I would still make sure of everything before you go driving and possibly get a ticket for not doing enough research, maybe go to the police station and check(maybe just ask for information about driving lawn tractors on the side of the road)
Back to top Go down
canadianromper
canadianromper

PostSubject: Re: Can you drive your offroader on the road?   drive - Can you drive your offroader on the road? Icon_minitimeDecember 9th 2011, 10:54 pm

you should be able to if you have a sloow moving sing and you drive on the side of the road
Back to top Go down
canadianromper
canadianromper

PostSubject: Re: Can you drive your offroader on the road?   drive - Can you drive your offroader on the road? Icon_minitimeDecember 9th 2011, 10:55 pm

that would be the very best idea
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: Can you drive your offroader on the road?   drive - Can you drive your offroader on the road? Icon_minitimeDecember 9th 2011, 11:01 pm

Yeah, Check into it more though. Its better to do to much research then not enough. If you can put the slow moving vehicle sign on the back of anything and drive it you would see alot of death traps on the side of the road like wooden gokarts.
Back to top Go down
canadianromper
canadianromper

PostSubject: Re: Can you drive your offroader on the road?   drive - Can you drive your offroader on the road? Icon_minitimeDecember 9th 2011, 11:03 pm

ya well ill check with our police department and see if there is some way i can get it on the road legaly.o well thanks 4 the help
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: Can you drive your offroader on the road?   drive - Can you drive your offroader on the road? Icon_minitimeDecember 9th 2011, 11:15 pm

I looked at "http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/vehicle/smvs.shtml" and they dont give much detail on the Slow Moving Vehicle Sign online other than it cant go faster than 40kmh, the sign has to be .6m(2ft)-2m above the roadway. This sort of seems like a grey area, A cop could pull you over and hassle you or a cop could just drive on by because they never mention anything about lawn tractors. You can consider it a "self-propelled implement", but if you have a trailer on the back of your "self-propelled implement" you would need another sign for the trailer that is .6m-2m above the roadway.
Back to top Go down
McHandyMan

PostSubject: Re: Can you drive your offroader on the road?   drive - Can you drive your offroader on the road? Icon_minitimeDecember 12th 2011, 9:25 pm

get a slow moving vhical triangle and you are leagly loud. you mite need a flashing light i think. bit iv driven my tractor on my road when the city workers where there and they couldn't say a thing
Back to top Go down
McHandyMan

PostSubject: Re: Can you drive your offroader on the road?   drive - Can you drive your offroader on the road? Icon_minitimeDecember 12th 2011, 9:26 pm

canadianromper wrote:
ya well ill check with our police department and see if there is some way i can get it on the road legaly.o well thanks 4 the help

when you see a cop hit the ditches!
Back to top Go down
ferg
ferg

PostSubject: Re: Can you drive your offroader on the road?   drive - Can you drive your offroader on the road? Icon_minitimeDecember 15th 2011, 8:35 am

canadianromper wrote:
are u aloud to drive your offroader on the road

NO - legally speaking.

You may be okay on country roads / lanes that are not really used, but don't go on any road that is used often and fit the slow moving vehicle sign to the rear and possibly an orange strobe.

drive - Can you drive your offroader on the road? 19ddbaa4b9374e098b22a4df2b7f88d0 drive - Can you drive your offroader on the road? Revolvinglight

To get it on the road legally it would have to go through a vehicle safety check - it would have to have:

-reflectors
-brake lights
-indicators front and rear
-head lamps
-it must be safe - no loosed parts.
-fenders
the list is very long and comprehensive
No offence but i dont think you would be able to pass the inspection, I think that they would just laugh at you.....

however as long as you are safe and responsable, you should get away with it on smaller roads, but do not be surprised if you get pulled over. please do not quote me on anything...

check out http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=158936 for some more info on everything - the guys on this forum are all really experienced however they do not use their GT's for off roading Smile

also you will end up wrecking your tyres if the diff is locked and you are turning,

Back to top Go down
Jordan
Jordan

PostSubject: Re: Can you drive your offroader on the road?   drive - Can you drive your offroader on the road? Icon_minitimeDecember 18th 2011, 7:44 pm

where i live its legal, all i did was put a slow moving sign on the back and it was fine i pulled a trailer goin 30mph on the road with the slow moving sign on the back of the trailer and the cops never bothered me and i drove past them quite often
for night driving all i did was wired up a tail light that i stole from one on my old sleds just so people knew something was driving down the road, and ofcourse i had the head lights on, and the sign on the back
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can you drive your offroader on the road?   drive - Can you drive your offroader on the road? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Can you drive your offroader on the road?
Page 1 of 1