All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Fozzy locker or welded spiders

Go down 
+14
Chopperhed
Craftsman Dude
dangeroustoys56
Doug
avrappy
W1ldyOvvnZ
briggs 123
1MurrayMayhem1
RompinRedneck
gilsonrumbler
Fattypipemuarry
Jordan
AcreFarm
blanket80
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
blanket80
blanket80

fozzy locker - Fozzy locker or welded spiders  Empty
PostSubject: Fozzy locker or welded spiders    fozzy locker - Fozzy locker or welded spiders  Icon_minitimeDecember 27th 2011, 2:13 pm

I have welded spiders before in my Dynamark and had great success. Although, I recently learned about the fozzy locker. Now the question is what style should I do to my new project... The choices are Fozzy locker, welding spiders together, or fearlessfronts weld the gears to the pin style.
Commets, Sugestions??..

Fozzy Locker
fozzy locker - Fozzy locker or welded spiders  Fozzy

Traditional Welded Gears
fozzy locker - Fozzy locker or welded spiders  Weldedspiders

Fearlessfronts way

What do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
AcreFarm
AcreFarm

PostSubject: Re: Fozzy locker or welded spiders    fozzy locker - Fozzy locker or welded spiders  Icon_minitimeDecember 27th 2011, 2:48 pm

I like the fozzy locker, but I haven't tried it... the next time I have to weld to lock a rear end I plan on using that method. I like the fact it leaves more room for error, and it's removable, like adding extra gears
Back to top Go down
blanket80
blanket80

PostSubject: Re: Fozzy locker or welded spiders    fozzy locker - Fozzy locker or welded spiders  Icon_minitimeDecember 27th 2011, 5:19 pm

^ thats what im thinking.
Back to top Go down
Jordan
Jordan

PostSubject: Re: Fozzy locker or welded spiders    fozzy locker - Fozzy locker or welded spiders  Icon_minitimeDecember 27th 2011, 8:03 pm

with the fozzy locker it is reverseable but the problem i see is that theres a little bit of play on those gears when its all together, so i think it will screw up the other gears over time so its probably just as good to weld it all together while youre at it
Back to top Go down
Fattypipemuarry
Fattypipemuarry

PostSubject: Re: Fozzy locker or welded spiders    fozzy locker - Fozzy locker or welded spiders  Icon_minitimeDecember 27th 2011, 8:29 pm

i would go with it works great in offroad rigs so why wouldnt it in a tractor talk to fordboi he done it an his tractor is sweet as hell
Back to top Go down
AcreFarm
AcreFarm

PostSubject: Re: Fozzy locker or welded spiders    fozzy locker - Fozzy locker or welded spiders  Icon_minitimeDecember 27th 2011, 8:41 pm

I had wondered about the gears trying to walk up over the welds and tearing things up. Then I found this...
http://roms-peerless-transaxle-supply.ecrater.com/p/7192288/gearset-upgrade-5-for-peerless-transaxle-3-4-axle
If you look at the gears, they are essentially the same as a properly welded & machined fozzy locker. This guy sells similar kits for the big 820 as well. My point is, he sells to the racers, and they are happy with the kits. Their machines see alot of abuse, so if it works for them it will work for us.
Back to top Go down
blanket80
blanket80

PostSubject: Re: Fozzy locker or welded spiders    fozzy locker - Fozzy locker or welded spiders  Icon_minitimeDecember 28th 2011, 12:41 am

Wow acre, that is awesome. How did you find that? I think the fozzy will be what i'm going with. I just like how it gives the gears some play, but it does make you think that they would try to walk over onto the welds.?..
Back to top Go down
blanket80
blanket80

PostSubject: Re: Fozzy locker or welded spiders    fozzy locker - Fozzy locker or welded spiders  Icon_minitimeDecember 28th 2011, 12:45 am

I just thought about it some more, and when you make the fozzy. Do you weld the gears that go on the pins, or the the gears on the axle shafts?
Back to top Go down
gilsonrumbler
gilsonrumbler

PostSubject: Re: Fozzy locker or welded spiders    fozzy locker - Fozzy locker or welded spiders  Icon_minitimeDecember 28th 2011, 2:12 am

in my preference...

fozzy- if ur using a stick welder then at least while you grind the welds down u will know the slag is gone completely so nothing to fall off and wedge in the gears causing a kaboom

welded spiders- i would only do this using mig because with arc theres a possibilty of the one slag you didn't clean out

weld the gears to floating pin- only works in some not all actually is very neat and can make an easy slag cleanup if you use stick since the pin/gear can slide out
Back to top Go down
blanket80
blanket80

PostSubject: Re: Fozzy locker or welded spiders    fozzy locker - Fozzy locker or welded spiders  Icon_minitimeDecember 28th 2011, 3:03 am

The fozzy seems like the way to go. Oh and "Gilsonrumbler" i know what you mean about the stick just throwing the slag. Although, that isn't a problem because I have access to both a stick welder, and a mig welder. But i plan to use the stick, because it gets better penetration then our mig. Now the only thing i still need to know is, for the fozzy do i weld the spider gears that go on the pins, or the the spider gears on the axle shafts?
Back to top Go down
AcreFarm
AcreFarm

PostSubject: Re: Fozzy locker or welded spiders    fozzy locker - Fozzy locker or welded spiders  Icon_minitimeDecember 28th 2011, 2:29 pm

The kit that I posted uses the modified gears on the axle shafts... I'd leave the gears on the pin alone & weld the others.
Back to top Go down
blanket80
blanket80

PostSubject: Re: Fozzy locker or welded spiders    fozzy locker - Fozzy locker or welded spiders  Icon_minitimeDecember 28th 2011, 5:34 pm

Ok good.. I plan to make video of the whole process. I just hate hearing that people are afraid to weld there rear ends, so hopefully a video can show them how easy it really is.
Back to top Go down
gilsonrumbler
gilsonrumbler

PostSubject: Re: Fozzy locker or welded spiders    fozzy locker - Fozzy locker or welded spiders  Icon_minitimeDecember 28th 2011, 6:13 pm

i think the major reason why ppl are afraid to lock an lawnmower transaxle is because the ones they hear about breaking is because the person who welded them didn't clean all the grease off the gears or clean up all the slag
Back to top Go down
blanket80
blanket80

PostSubject: Re: Fozzy locker or welded spiders    fozzy locker - Fozzy locker or welded spiders  Icon_minitimeDecember 28th 2011, 8:53 pm

Yeah, I never had a problem with mine for one strait year. Although, one of my friends exploded one two days after it was welded. I think its all in how well you clean things.
Back to top Go down
RompinRedneck
RompinRedneck

PostSubject: Re: Fozzy locker or welded spiders    fozzy locker - Fozzy locker or welded spiders  Icon_minitimeJanuary 1st 2012, 6:36 pm

I'm gonna do FearlessFront's way. As long as you clean your gears nice and good before welding, make sure everything is lined up, and after welding you make sure to clean up all the slag, you will be fine.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/rompinredneck
1MurrayMayhem1

PostSubject: Re: Fozzy locker or welded spiders    fozzy locker - Fozzy locker or welded spiders  Icon_minitimeJanuary 15th 2012, 9:58 pm

I have welded 2 by welding the gears to shafts and gears to pins and have not had a problem FearlessFronts method
Back to top Go down
blanket80
blanket80

PostSubject: Re: Fozzy locker or welded spiders    fozzy locker - Fozzy locker or welded spiders  Icon_minitimeJanuary 16th 2012, 1:04 am

good to hear.
Back to top Go down
briggs 123

PostSubject: Re: Fozzy locker or welded spiders    fozzy locker - Fozzy locker or welded spiders  Icon_minitimeJuly 11th 2012, 10:17 pm

blanket80 wrote:
I have welded spiders before in my Dynamark and had great success. Although, I recently learned about the fozzy locker. Now the question is what style should I do to my new project... The choices are Fozzy locker, welding spiders together, or fearlessfronts weld the gears to the pin style.
Commets, Sugestions??..

Fozzy Locker

Traditional Welded Gears

Fearlessfronts way

What do you guys think?
what is a fozzy locker
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: Fozzy locker or welded spiders    fozzy locker - Fozzy locker or welded spiders  Icon_minitimeJuly 11th 2012, 11:26 pm

briggs 123 wrote:
blanket80 wrote:
Commets, Sugestions??..

Fozzy Locker

Traditional Welded Gears

Fearlessfronts way

What do you guys think?
what is a fozzy locker

The first picture, with one tooth on each side left unwelded to, a quick and easier way(in my opinion) to lock a transaxle.
Back to top Go down
http://www.stat10.tk/
avrappy

PostSubject: Re: Fozzy locker or welded spiders    fozzy locker - Fozzy locker or welded spiders  Icon_minitimeJanuary 8th 2013, 10:32 am

Where can I buy a Fozzy Locker??? Sounds easier than welding.
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: Fozzy locker or welded spiders    fozzy locker - Fozzy locker or welded spiders  Icon_minitimeJanuary 8th 2013, 1:49 pm

avrappy wrote:
i am pretty sure you have to weld it up your self(weld the other teeth up on the gears), i have a set of gears that i wanted to try them to but ive never brought them out and welded them up yet, which reminds me about going out and actually doing it... The bad thing about going with the Fozzy locker is that your going to have play in the rear end.

Last edited by W1ldyOvvnZ on January 8th 2013, 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Fozzy locker or welded spiders    fozzy locker - Fozzy locker or welded spiders  Icon_minitimeJanuary 8th 2013, 2:55 pm

avrappy wrote:

Probably have to get them custom made, im pretty sure nobody actually makes them for tractors. WOuldnt be hard to make one yourself though, all you are is filling in gaps in the gear so it cant turn. But like Wildy said, youll have some play.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: Fozzy locker or welded spiders    fozzy locker - Fozzy locker or welded spiders  Icon_minitimeJanuary 8th 2013, 3:32 pm

i just welded up some gears i had from a Peerless transaxle i had sitting in the scrap pile(the transaxle casing was cracked and completely useless unless you had another casing).

fozzy locker - Fozzy locker or welded spiders  PIC_0230_zps222b8c1c
They aren't ground down yet, i will do that sometime later when i need them or want to use them for a lawn tractor. if you are going to do it clean the teeth you didn't weld up(clean the slag, its not a good idea because it will damage other parts inside the transaxle) and make sure everything fits right when you put it back in or you might have problems later on.

Last edited by W1ldyOvvnZ on April 3rd 2013, 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Fozzy locker or welded spiders    fozzy locker - Fozzy locker or welded spiders  Icon_minitimeJanuary 8th 2013, 4:55 pm

Id be aiming for using the fozzy gears over welding everything solid - least it can be reversed easily enough.

Only sure fire way to cure any movement is to mount a straight axle thru the trans.
Back to top Go down
AcreFarm
AcreFarm

PostSubject: Re: Fozzy locker or welded spiders    fozzy locker - Fozzy locker or welded spiders  Icon_minitimeJanuary 8th 2013, 6:56 pm

Using a fozzy locker is the way to go over Lincoln-locking the diff IMO. Depending on the transaxle you can simply add 2 more spider gears to effectively lock the differential.
...from my Peerless 900
fozzy locker - Fozzy locker or welded spiders  IM000747
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fozzy locker or welded spiders    fozzy locker - Fozzy locker or welded spiders  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fozzy locker or welded spiders
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next