All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Fozzy locker or welded spiders

Go down 
+14
Chopperhed
Craftsman Dude
dangeroustoys56
Doug
avrappy
W1ldyOvvnZ
briggs 123
1MurrayMayhem1
RompinRedneck
gilsonrumbler
Fattypipemuarry
Jordan
AcreFarm
blanket80
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
AcreFarm

Fozzy locker or welded spiders  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fozzy locker or welded spiders    Fozzy locker or welded spiders  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 8th 2013, 6:56 pm

Using a fozzy locker is the way to go over Lincoln-locking the diff IMO. Depending on the transaxle you can simply add 2 more spider gears to effectively lock the differential.
...from my Peerless 900
Fozzy locker or welded spiders  - Page 2 IM000747
Back to top Go down
Craftsman Dude
Craftsman Dude

PostSubject: Re: Fozzy locker or welded spiders    Fozzy locker or welded spiders  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 8th 2013, 7:14 pm

AcreFarm wrote:
Using a fozzy locker is the way to go over Lincoln-locking the diff IMO. Depending on the transaxle you can simply add 2 more spider gears to effectively lock the differential.
...from my Peerless 900
Fozzy locker or welded spiders  - Page 2 IM000747

OMG i have to try that next time my trans is apart a locker with no welding .
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Fozzy locker or welded spiders    Fozzy locker or welded spiders  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 8th 2013, 7:32 pm

I think that differential was made for that. I know my bull gears are completely milled and wouldnt support extra gears.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
AcreFarm
AcreFarm

PostSubject: Re: Fozzy locker or welded spiders    Fozzy locker or welded spiders  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 8th 2013, 7:32 pm

No welding. Maybe some grinding, depending on what you've got. You will need to have an identical set of spiders...gears from other transaxles (Foote, DANA/Spicer, etc. won't work).
It's also easily reversible if you want to go back to an open diff.
Back to top Go down
AcreFarm
AcreFarm

PostSubject: Re: Fozzy locker or welded spiders    Fozzy locker or welded spiders  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 8th 2013, 7:35 pm

Doug Fackler wrote:
I think that differential was made for that. I know my bull gears are completely milled and wouldnt support extra gears.

That is a factory ring & spider gear-set from a Peerless 900, with 2 spiders added to it. I had to grind the flat side of the 2 additional gears just a bit to make them fit into the ring gear

** edit**
This will work with some (820, 900, 910, 915, 920, 930, 940 series) Peerless transaxles, other manufacturers & Peerless models are a different story.

Last edited by AcreFarm on January 8th 2013, 7:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Fozzy locker or welded spiders    Fozzy locker or welded spiders  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 8th 2013, 7:41 pm

A strong spring on the shaft between the two spiders would make a cheap posi.

Used to do it on Ford 9" diffs to help wheelspin
Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: Fozzy locker or welded spiders    Fozzy locker or welded spiders  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 8th 2013, 8:16 pm

Yeah i think a Solid axle through the entire setup would be the best.
Wouldn't a strong spring be more like a Limited-Slip Differential?

Ooh yeah got bored and ground down the gear.
Fozzy locker or welded spiders  - Page 2 PIC_0235
i put a thin coating of grease over everything so it doesn't rust as easily while it isn't in the tractor

Last edited by W1ldyOvvnZ on April 3rd 2013, 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.stat10.tk/
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Fozzy locker or welded spiders    Fozzy locker or welded spiders  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 8th 2013, 10:42 pm

W1ldyOvvnZ wrote:
Yeah i think a Solid axle through the entire setup would be the best.
Wouldn't a strong spring be more like a Limited-Slip Differential?

Thats exactly what it is,

It depends what you want.

sometimes its desirable to have a little more control steering, but when not steering have a fairly solid forward drive.

It would also maximize traction in a front diff.
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: Fozzy locker or welded spiders    Fozzy locker or welded spiders  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 9th 2013, 3:13 pm

Chopperhed wrote:

Thats exactly what it is,

It depends what you want.

sometimes its desirable to have a little more control steering, but when not steering have a fairly solid forward drive.

It would also maximize traction in a front diff.

That would be nice to have, i might add that into a lawn tractor sometime, how strong of a spring did you use? i was thing of using a valve spring from a car engine but i dont know one that is long enough.
Back to top Go down
Craftsman Dude
Craftsman Dude

PostSubject: Re: Fozzy locker or welded spiders    Fozzy locker or welded spiders  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 9th 2013, 6:20 pm

I think a limited slip would work great for me i am going to try this one day. How large / strong of a spring would i need.
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: Fozzy locker or welded spiders    Fozzy locker or welded spiders  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 9th 2013, 10:49 pm

i was thinking it would be better on the transaxle and less stress too if you drove on hard packed roads or pavement alot compared to a locked transaxle.
Back to top Go down
Craftsman Dude
Craftsman Dude

PostSubject: Re: Fozzy locker or welded spiders    Fozzy locker or welded spiders  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 9th 2013, 11:30 pm

W1ldyOvvnZ wrote:
i was thinking it would be better on the transaxle and less stress too if you drove on hard packed roads or pavement alot compared to a locked transaxle.

Exactly I go up and down my street alot so this would be good also I dont want to loos my turning radius .
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Fozzy locker or welded spiders    Fozzy locker or welded spiders  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 10th 2013, 12:48 am

It will take some trial and error. I only remember this from 20 some years ago in a Hot Rod magazine for 9" ford diffs.

The engineering is sound. We just need to figure out the details.

Depending on the length required and shaft size etc. the possibilities are immense.

Might even be able to incorporate a clutch pad setup from an ATV too. Currently working on a belleville spring setup for a surpluss MTD fnr transaxle. The yamagha big bears had a posi front diff with small cluth plates on the spiders.

It boils down to adding friction between the spiders while not limiting the spiders from performing their function.

I have a peerless 600-612A in my LT75. It looks like a good candidate as well
Back to top Go down
dked41
dked41

PostSubject: Re: Fozzy locker or welded spiders    Fozzy locker or welded spiders  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 10th 2013, 10:45 am

I would use 2 thrust washers outboard on the spiders to keep the lash to a minimum, then you could use a valvle spring with washer spacers to adjust tension. I think the hardest part would be compressing everything to get it installed. I would guess that to be affective, you need a fair amout of pressure. Much more than being able to compress by hand. I may have to experiment with this myself, being able to turn short with traction sounds like a great idea. The transaxle case may live a little longer, without the strains of a locked diff trying to turn sharp regularly.
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: Fozzy locker or welded spiders    Fozzy locker or welded spiders  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 10th 2013, 5:05 pm

Chopperhed so you never have tried it on a lawn tractor transaxle before only from the ford 9" differentials? i thought washer would be a good idea, id prefer to wreck a washer over a gear. i think i am going to try this sometime(probably with those variable speed MTD lawn tractor transaxles because there worth almost nothing to me). And using an ATV diff would be cool but you would need to modify the transaxle casing and weld in the ATV Diff casing to it or machine the transaxle case properly.
Back to top Go down
RCG
RCG

2016 Build-Off Finalist
2016 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2022 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2022 Build-Off Top 3 Winner

PostSubject: Re: Fozzy locker or welded spiders    Fozzy locker or welded spiders  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 31st 2013, 6:59 pm

Just figured i would add another option to the list.

Back to top Go down
http://www.Mudmower.com
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: Fozzy locker or welded spiders    Fozzy locker or welded spiders  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 3rd 2013, 11:02 pm

Hey Chopperhed you think this spring would be good enough for a Limited Slip its been sitting on one of out welders at work for the past 8 months and no one knows where it came from... They are sitting beside the Fozzy Lockers i made a while ago. i think it will be strong enough, i can compress it about an 1/8th inch by hand Smile
Fozzy locker or welded spiders  - Page 2 PIC_0451_zps2391bcc2
Back to top Go down
Hillfolkr

PostSubject: Re: Fozzy locker or welded spiders    Fozzy locker or welded spiders  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeAugust 31st 2014, 11:55 am

I busted a fearlessfront style welded diff on about the 3rd donut I did. It sheared the pin. Luckily I was able to place it back together and weld all the spiders together, then it didn't break.
Back to top Go down
Warren Evans
Warren Evans

PostSubject: Re: Fozzy locker or welded spiders    Fozzy locker or welded spiders  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 17th 2016, 11:17 am

i twisted a pin into as well but it was on a spicer but their pin is smaller than a peerless
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fozzy locker or welded spiders    Fozzy locker or welded spiders  - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fozzy locker or welded spiders
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2