All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

I got a wild idea in my head

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
MSteele323

I got a wild idea in my head Empty
PostSubject: I got a wild idea in my head   I got a wild idea in my head Icon_minitimeJanuary 5th 2012, 12:09 am

Ok, This will take alot of imagiatoin . But picture this take a Geo metro I got a wild idea in my head 800px-Geo_Metro gut it out completely shave all weight as possible.
Then find a opposed briggs with transmission . getting the idea. still hazy about the transmission . but make it a slow romper for fields Not for street use. feel free to add any ideas to this.
This is what i have rattling in my head lately. Oh yeah it has to have all 4 atv WHEELS ON IT.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/msteele323?feature=mhw5
richie thomas
Veteran Member
richie thomas
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: I got a wild idea in my head   I got a wild idea in my head Icon_minitimeJanuary 5th 2012, 12:35 am

find a horizontal shaft v-twin and run a straight axle run a good torque converter
Back to top Go down
MSteele323

PostSubject: Re: I got a wild idea in my head   I got a wild idea in my head Icon_minitimeJanuary 5th 2012, 1:06 am

I was thinking twin motors. 1 in front and 1 in the rear.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: I got a wild idea in my head   I got a wild idea in my head Icon_minitimeJanuary 5th 2012, 7:59 am

just yank the engine and make an adapter plate for the stock clutch then power that from the twin
Back to top Go down
Jamus
Established Member
Jamus
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: I got a wild idea in my head   I got a wild idea in my head Icon_minitimeJanuary 5th 2012, 10:54 am

What's wrong with the stock motor, blown? The geo 3cyl is a popular swap into larger buggies like joyners and roketas. If you haven't found one yet, look for the elusive CVT transmission, or better yet, a subaru just which is basically a 4wd metro. If I could find a complete metro I'd strip it down and make a rear wheel drive 2-seat buggy out of it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcbashers.com
dagr8tim
dagr8tim

PostSubject: Re: I got a wild idea in my head   I got a wild idea in my head Icon_minitimeJanuary 5th 2012, 12:13 pm

If it were me, I'd go with a rear engine setup and possibly a chain drive. Then build a firewall/bulkhead behind the driver's seat. You could weld the engine compartment up to make a trunk of sorts if you wanted. Personally I'd probably mount a winch in there and a fairlead plate where the hood comes down. Maybe a dual battery setup for the winch. Maybe throw on an on board air setup.

Then you could modify the axles to have them stick out further than the body for a low center of gravity build. Something like that with a short wheel base, some descent articulation and the right tires would be a monster.

Incase you can't tell, I'm a Jeeper and think like a Jeeper.

EDIT: I just played with some numbers, and without a transmission. An engine turning at 6,000 (think motorcycle) with 33 inch tires and a 10:1 gear ratio would still give you a top speed of 58MPH. Assuming my math is correct. 20:1 *should* net you 29 MPH and enough torque to clime a wall. An engine turning at 3,000 (think lawn tractor) and a 10:1 with 33's would also be roughly 29 MPH.
Back to top Go down
http://buckeyejeeps.com
MSteele323

PostSubject: Re: I got a wild idea in my head   I got a wild idea in my head Icon_minitimeJanuary 5th 2012, 2:12 pm

Jamus wrote:
What's wrong with the stock motor, blown? The geo 3cyl is a popular swap into larger buggies like joyners and roketas. If you haven't found one yet, look for the elusive CVT transmission, or better yet, a subaru just which is basically a 4wd metro. If I could find a complete metro I'd strip it down and make a rear wheel drive 2-seat buggy out of it.
well there is a guy down the street that deals in junk metros. and i thought it would be a neat idea to play around with one of these dull cars.
Back to top Go down
AcreFarm
AcreFarm

PostSubject: Re: I got a wild idea in my head   I got a wild idea in my head Icon_minitimeJanuary 5th 2012, 2:42 pm

I'd almost like a 4 door Metro, I would cut the body from the rear end to just behind the front doors. Think of like a road legal Japanese mini-truck
Back to top Go down
dagr8tim
dagr8tim

PostSubject: Re: I got a wild idea in my head   I got a wild idea in my head Icon_minitimeJanuary 5th 2012, 2:44 pm

AcreFarm wrote:
I'd almost like a 4 door Metro, I would cut the body from the rear end to just behind the front doors. Think of like a road legal Japanese mini-truck

I saw that done with a Ford Tempo once. There's a guy with a Jeep Cherokee that he did that and he did the fit and finish right.
Back to top Go down
http://buckeyejeeps.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I got a wild idea in my head   I got a wild idea in my head Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I got a wild idea in my head
Page 1 of 1