All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

I got a wild idea in my head Lend10PortalHomeFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog inDiscordCountdown TimerI got a wild idea in my head Rend10
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum!
2019 Build Off Underway!
2019 Top Tractor Challenge! Aug 17th and 18th! DETAILS HERE!

I got a wild idea in my head

Go down 
AuthorMessage
MSteele323
Skilled
Skilled

Forum Rep : 0

I got a wild idea in my head Empty
PostSubject: I got a wild idea in my head   I got a wild idea in my head Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 12:09 am

Ok, This will take alot of imagiatoin . But picture this take a Geo metro I got a wild idea in my head 800px-Geo_Metro gut it out completely shave all weight as possible.
Then find a opposed briggs with transmission . getting the idea. still hazy about the transmission . but make it a slow romper for fields Not for street use. feel free to add any ideas to this.
This is what i have rattling in my head lately. Oh yeah it has to have all 4 atv WHEELS ON IT.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/msteele323?feature=mhw5
richie thomas
Expert
Expert
richie thomas

Forum Rep : 1

PostSubject: Re: I got a wild idea in my head   I got a wild idea in my head Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 12:35 am

find a horizontal shaft v-twin and run a straight axle run a good torque converter
Back to top Go down
MSteele323
Skilled
Skilled

PostSubject: Re: I got a wild idea in my head   I got a wild idea in my head Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 1:06 am

I was thinking twin motors. 1 in front and 1 in the rear.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: I got a wild idea in my head   I got a wild idea in my head Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 7:59 am

just yank the engine and make an adapter plate for the stock clutch then power that from the twin
Back to top Go down
Jamus
Veteran
Veteran
Jamus

PostSubject: Re: I got a wild idea in my head   I got a wild idea in my head Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 10:54 am

What's wrong with the stock motor, blown? The geo 3cyl is a popular swap into larger buggies like joyners and roketas. If you haven't found one yet, look for the elusive CVT transmission, or better yet, a subaru just which is basically a 4wd metro. If I could find a complete metro I'd strip it down and make a rear wheel drive 2-seat buggy out of it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcbashers.com
dagr8tim
Apprentice
Apprentice
dagr8tim

PostSubject: Re: I got a wild idea in my head   I got a wild idea in my head Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 12:13 pm

If it were me, I'd go with a rear engine setup and possibly a chain drive. Then build a firewall/bulkhead behind the driver's seat. You could weld the engine compartment up to make a trunk of sorts if you wanted. Personally I'd probably mount a winch in there and a fairlead plate where the hood comes down. Maybe a dual battery setup for the winch. Maybe throw on an on board air setup.

Then you could modify the axles to have them stick out further than the body for a low center of gravity build. Something like that with a short wheel base, some descent articulation and the right tires would be a monster.

Incase you can't tell, I'm a Jeeper and think like a Jeeper.

EDIT: I just played with some numbers, and without a transmission. An engine turning at 6,000 (think motorcycle) with 33 inch tires and a 10:1 gear ratio would still give you a top speed of 58MPH. Assuming my math is correct. 20:1 *should* net you 29 MPH and enough torque to clime a wall. An engine turning at 3,000 (think lawn tractor) and a 10:1 with 33's would also be roughly 29 MPH.
Back to top Go down
http://buckeyejeeps.com
MSteele323
Skilled
Skilled

PostSubject: Re: I got a wild idea in my head   I got a wild idea in my head Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 2:12 pm

@Jamus wrote:
What's wrong with the stock motor, blown? The geo 3cyl is a popular swap into larger buggies like joyners and roketas. If you haven't found one yet, look for the elusive CVT transmission, or better yet, a subaru just which is basically a 4wd metro. If I could find a complete metro I'd strip it down and make a rear wheel drive 2-seat buggy out of it.
well there is a guy down the street that deals in junk metros. and i thought it would be a neat idea to play around with one of these dull cars.
Back to top Go down
AcreFarm
Apprentice
Apprentice
AcreFarm

PostSubject: Re: I got a wild idea in my head   I got a wild idea in my head Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 2:42 pm

I'd almost like a 4 door Metro, I would cut the body from the rear end to just behind the front doors. Think of like a road legal Japanese mini-truck
Back to top Go down
dagr8tim
Apprentice
Apprentice
dagr8tim

PostSubject: Re: I got a wild idea in my head   I got a wild idea in my head Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 2:44 pm

@AcreFarm wrote:
I'd almost like a 4 door Metro, I would cut the body from the rear end to just behind the front doors. Think of like a road legal Japanese mini-truck

I saw that done with a Ford Tempo once. There's a guy with a Jeep Cherokee that he did that and he did the fit and finish right.
Back to top Go down
http://buckeyejeeps.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I got a wild idea in my head   I got a wild idea in my head Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I got a wild idea in my head
Page 1 of 1